Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: Version 0x054C Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
272 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

NDS/Murdoch has nothing to do with these.

Why would you expect it to work without a signal? Do you expect your car to run without gas too?

NDS doesn't have as much to do with these as some of the other boxes, but they still do have a hand in the access card system.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Had my first missed recording last night. Was scheduled to record Food Network Star on the HR34 and it didn't happen. In the meantime I tried to set up a series manager for the same program on one of my HR23's and couldn't make it happen! Usually when I press the record button once for the current program and then twice for a series there is no problem. Now I cannot get that feature on the HR23. When I hit the record the second time it just cancels the recording completely! Went to the search feature and when I found the show it didn't give me an option to set up a series, just individual shows. Sorry for the digression but these boxes need a lot of work. Seems like every time we get new software the problems just get worse.

If you go to do a menu restart, does it tell you that restarting will interrupt recordings that are actually in the past?

#23 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

DirecTV inked a five-year contract extension with NDS Group for set-top box software and digital video recorder technology through January 2016.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

DirecTV inked a five-year contract extension with NDS Group for set-top box software and digital video recorder technology through January 2016.

For the SD receivers/DVRs... The software for HD receivers/DVRs is written in house.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Why would you expect it to work without a signal? Do you expect your car to run without gas too?

What? :confused: Why would you expect it to NOT be able to play a recording whether it has a signal or not? A satellite signal should have nothing to do with watching a recording.

Jerry_K
Isn't there a way to skip the startup and be able to get into your play list?

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#26 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:17 AM

If you go to do a menu restart, does it tell you that restarting will interrupt recordings that are actually in the past?

Nope.

#27 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

There are specific software solutions that NDS supplies DIRECTV such as ad insert, security protocols, and authorization software.

To imply they have any input or design of the current UI/functionality is flawed.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   Losi b

Losi b

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

What piles of crap these boxes are.

+1

#29 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

You can still play the CD player if it has no gas :D
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

What? :confused: Why would you expect it to NOT be able to play a recording whether it has a signal or not? A satellite signal should have nothing to do with watching a recording.

Ummm, wrong... Without a signal your account can't be authorized. If your account can't be authorized the unit won't play recordings.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Ummm, wrong... Without a signal your account can't be authorized. If your account can't be authorized the unit won't play recordings.

Not true.

No signal and you can play recorded content. What is missing is Whole Home. And on the HR34 constant initiation of the screen saver and resets every so often approximately 10 to 20 minutes of operation before a reset. On the HR24 it plays recordings normally without activation of the screen saver or resets.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#32 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Yes, if it was a Tesla Model S? ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#33 OFFLINE   tonydi

tonydi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

For the past three weeks the recordings of the Nascar HotPass (Ch 795-798) channels won't play back. When you choose them out of the play list you get a black screen. The time bar progresses but nothing but darkness.

This week I actually checked (but stupidly checked on our HR24) and the channel was indeed showing the in-car feed, so I was sure my recording would be fine. Nope, same black screen for 5 hrs.

I know I've recorded these before and they've been fine. Seeing nobody else commenting on this issue, I called DTV. Apparently this is yet another HR34 issue that they're aware of. I suspect that 0x54b brought this bug because that's right about when it stopped working.

Guess this week I'll record on the HR24 instead.

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

For the past three weeks the recordings of the Nascar HotPass (Ch 795-798) channels won't play back. When you choose them out of the play list you get a black screen. The time bar progresses but nothing but darkness.

This week I actually checked (but stupidly checked on our HR24) and the channel was indeed showing the in-car feed, so I was sure my recording would be fine. Nope, same black screen for 5 hrs.

I know I've recorded these before and they've been fine. Seeing nobody else commenting on this issue, I called DTV. Apparently this is yet another HR34 issue that they're aware of. I suspect that 0x54b brought this bug because that's right about when it stopped working.

Guess this week I'll record on the HR24 instead.

Are the recordings being made on the HR34 or are you just trying to play them back on the HR34 via MRV?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 OFFLINE   tonydi

tonydi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

They've all been made on the HR34. They also don't play back on any of the other boxes in the house so it's definitely some sort of recording glitch.

The previous two recordings that didn't play were somewhat unusual in that they showed up as partials. As you FF through the blackness, when you hit the the "bookmark" on the time line where the partial recording ended, the HR34 would say that it was going to scan the rest of the recording from there.

That was a huge mistake to let it try that. Both times (and yes, how stupid to let it do it a second time after I'd already seen the problem the first time) it completely took over the HR34 and even after letting it "scan" for a couple of hours it was completely unresponsive. The only way to get control was to red button it.

Anyway, the CSR went through a large number of possible scenarios, none of which applied, and finally she looked in "engineering issues" and discovered it was a known problem.

#36 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Had my first missed recording last night. Was scheduled to record Food Network Star on the HR34 and it didn't happen. In the meantime I tried to set up a series manager for the same program on one of my HR23's and couldn't make it happen! Usually when I press the record button once for the current program and then twice for a series there is no problem. Now I cannot get that feature on the HR23. When I hit the record the second time it just cancels the recording completely! Went to the search feature and when I found the show it didn't give me an option to set up a series, just individual shows. Sorry for the digression but these boxes need a lot of work. Seems like every time we get new software the problems just get worse.

Actually, that sounds like a guide data issue saying the shows are all one offs instead of a series. When you hit mor info on one of the shows, does it list it as a series?

You may try flushing your guide data by restarting the machine twice within 30 minutes.

#37 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

Sometimes when press the PREV button to go to the previous channel, my HR34 simply produces a black screen that just stays there.

#38 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

This is just too funny. I'm sitting here a couple of minutes ago watching CNBC on channel 355 and all of a sudden my HR34 changes the channel all on it's own to PBS channel 4! Once the shock wore off and I checked to make sure nothing was recording I pressed the previous key and got nothing! Tried several times and nothing. Then I entered 355 into the keypad and it comes back telling me channel not available! After I reached the end of typing the last sentence I tried entering 355 into the keypad and it finally went back to CNBC. Seems like I've got an HR34 with a mind of it's own! That is scary.

#39 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

This is just too funny. I'm sitting here a couple of minutes ago watching CNBC on channel 355 and all of a sudden my HR34 changes the channel all on it's own to PBS channel 4! Once the shock wore off and I checked to make sure nothing was recording I pressed the previous key and got nothing! Tried several times and nothing. Then I entered 355 into the keypad and it comes back telling me channel not available! After I reached the end of typing the last sentence I tried entering 355 into the keypad and it finally went back to CNBC. Seems like I've got an HR34 with a mind of it's own! That is scary.

I actually just had my HR34 pretty much do the same thing. I was watching channel 523 and my HR34 changed channels to 201 for no reason. I pressed previous and got a channel I was on prior to 523. When I checked the guide I noticed a lot of channels in the 500's were gone. They're back now though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#40 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

That would be because it lost a bunch of channels or at least CNBC so it tuned to the first channel on your list. 4 is your lowest number, right?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...