Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: Version 0x054C Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
272 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

That would be because it lost a bunch of channels or at least CNBC so it tuned to the first channel on your list. 4 is your lowest number, right?

Why did it lose channels?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Why did it lose channels?

Apparently a satellite glitch earlier today. Many of us experienced it at the same time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#43 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Can someone tell me why the CAST and Crew information given by my HR34 is so paltry compared to what I get on my HR23 and HR24? Also why a given KEYWORD in my HR34's SMART SEARCH will not produce listings on my local channels, but those listings will appear on my 23 and 24? Finally, why does my HR34's SMART SEARCH produce channels I cannot get but they are white instead of grey, and why does SMART SEARCH produce terrestrial channels that the HR24 can't possibly get and if you tell it to record one of them it's a disaster? Thanks.

#44 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Can someone tell me why the CAST and Crew information given by my HR34 is so paltry compared to what I get on my HR23 and HR24?

The HR34 takes the information from a different area of the data than the HR2X's. No one is sure why, some of us like it better.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#45 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

I just received a new install yesterday of DirecTV under my wife's name (so I could get the new customer benefits they're currently offering) with an HR34 and H24 HD receiver as well as an old HR21 I had in the closet from a few years back.

The HR21 is still the same dog it always was but serviceable and the H24 is a receiver (meh) albeit a good bit snappier than the HR21.

The HMC (HR34) was touted to me as some fast and spectacular piece of equipment. A technical marvel.

Uh, my Dish Network VIP-722k is still light years faster. :confused:

Why is it that DirecTV has it's head so far up it's collective butt that it offers the absolute WORST customer service I've ever encountered and still hasn't bridged the equipment gap yet? :mad:

The tech that came out was actually really awesome in terms of his service and follow through but here is a funny story for you guys.

In pre-sale I was told the HR34 had OTA functionality, no details given as to how. Then after a failed installation (tried to nickel and dime me on more equipment fees which my telco refunded as a bundled customer) I called customer service AGAIN to double check on OTA and make sure I got all my ducks in a row so there were no more surprises at install time.

I was told the HR34 had OTA functionality BUILT IN. :nono2:

Ok, the CSR seemed comfortable in his knowledge and I felt relieved. Just for giggles, I downloaded the HR34 user's manual and looked at the close up diagram of the back of the unit - NO OTA ANYWHERE. I then started researching and thanks to the fine folks here at DBStalk.com I found that in order to have OTA functionality I needed an AM21 outboard tuner module. Cool. I called customer service AGAIN and they put technical on the line. I spoke with the guy at technical for 30 minutes and he was able to verify that yes the AM21 is the solution for OTA and even better than that he informed me that if the customer asks for OTA that the AM21 should be installed by the tech FREE OF CHARGE. Ok, now we're cooking with gas, I thought. The tech rep noted my account with "install AM21 for OTA FREE OF COST to customer".

AWESOME! :D

The tech shows up yesterday and I run thru everything with him and then mention OTA. He asks "what's OTA?"

Ok, I'll give you a minute to finish laughing. :rolling:

I proceeded to explain to him that I must be a fool for getting re-involved with DirecTV because thus far my experience had been a series of incompetencies and mind numbing idiocy by almost everyone I had dealt with to that point.

He laughed and then apologized for my bad experiences.

BTW, he called me at 9am to tell me he was going to be at my place between 12 and 2pm then showed up at my gate at 11:20. Thankfully I was there. :(

He understood what OTA was once I elaborated then I asked him if he had an AM21 or an AM21N in his van. He looked at me with that same "deer in the headlights" :eek2: look he had when I asked about "OTA". He was a little dismissive of it at first since he never heard of that piece of equipment. I told him we needed to find out what happened because it was supposed to be in the account notes, which he said it wasn't.

He saw other account notes, just not the one about the AM21 being installed. UGH UGH UGH. :mad:

At this point I'm about a microsecond from telling him to take it all back and tell DirecTV to shove it up their you-know-what. I kept my cool and he got on the horn to a few different people at his local office, none of which had ever heard of or installed an AM21. He finally got his boss on the horn and after much deliberation they found one at their local warehouse and his boss shuttled it out to him. I had printed out the manual for the AM21 and ran it out to him to see. He asked if he could keep it. I said yes. After the AM21 arrived and he unboxed it, he said "yeah it looks just like you said". WOW. Despite the seeming dumbassity of all involved, it was good customer service after it seemed like the whole OTA thing was dead. :D

Then they couldn't provision my old HR21 under the new install so he had to close out my original install order and I had to call customer service to open an upgrade order to add the HR21. Of course they wanted to charge me a $49 fee because he had to use an outboard DECA for the HR21. The installer begged to differ and that they were just charging for a "truck roll".

I went round and round with the moron CSR I got. He was actually a touch belligerent about the fee so I put the installer on the phone because the CSR was accusing him of trying to "make more money". Wow.

I told the latest in a long line of idiot CSR's that I needed to speak with his supervisor and sprinkled a few profane words in there for good measure. I got Gerard on the line who I put on with the installer and they hashed it out and got the fee waived. WOOHOO!

The HR34, while feature rich, is much slower and glitchier than I imagined. Maybe it's because I only have a 1.5mb DSL (the fastest they have in my area) :mad: but whatever the case, the TV apps are miserably slow. I mean as in minutes to open. DirecTV REALLY needs to address the slowness issues in the future firmware updates. I can't understand how anyone in their right mind would allow the HR34 out in the open market with some of the excruciating slowness issues I've encountered. I love the whole home DVR setup, however, with the ability to merge both DVR's into the same playlist and give me the ability to record on up to 7 tuners between the HR34 and HR21.

I have a question, does anyone know if the AM21's two OTA tuners are additional or considered part of the 5 tuners that the HR34 has? I LOVE the 5 tuners, it's just what I needed after playing DVR twister some nights trying to record 5 shows or 6 shows. I feel like I just finished a court battle or something. Good Lord...it better be worth it...

Edited by jscott70, 14 June 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

I have a question, does anyone know if the AM21's two OTA tuners are additional or considered part of the 5 tuners that the HR34 has?

You can only record, or watch, 5 things at one time, whether they be OTA or Satellite.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#47 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

I just received a new install yesterday of DirecTV under my wife's name (so I could get the new customer benefits they're currently offering)

Nice story and as far as your outlook on the Hr's I do feel the same. These have been around for 6 years, and still not even close to profected.

While I agree with your take on the HR's, But in Technitions defence, this is a SATELLITE company. Quite frankly I think Directv should just tell customers install your own OTA units and systems.

Sure Directv makes the AM21, but IMO you should just be happy Directv even offers to help customers with OTA.

#48 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Nice story and as far as your outlook on the Hr's I do feel the same. These have been around for 6 years, and still not even close to profected.

While I agree with your take on the HR's, But in Technitions defence, this is a SATELLITE company. Quite frankly I think Directv should just tell customers install your own OTA units and systems.

Sure Directv makes the AM21, but IMO you should just be happy Directv even offers to help customers with OTA.

I wouldn't mind installing myself as long as they sent me one for free. Considering Dish Network offers OTA built into the VIP722k, I'd think DirecTV would want to keep up with the competition. The point I was trying to make was that I can get on DBStalk.com, or a number of other support forums including DirecTV's own, and acquire knowledge that should be part of any CSR or tech training. Seriously? That story can't be isolated considering how many on here refer to calling DirecTV customer service as "CSR roulette". I find it absolutely appalling that DirecTV is OK with what they've got for customer service. The tech story wasn't nearly as big a deal as the ridiculous lack of knowledge found in almost EVERY single CSR I've dealt with thus far. It really is an atrocity for such a large company to operate that way. I have found Dish customer service to be pretty good for the most part. Too bad DirecTV doesn't take a page from Dish. They've got the content while Dish has far better equipment and customer service. Too bad the two companies don't merge. Then we'd be all set!

#49 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't mind installing myself as long as they sent me one for free. Considering Dish Network offers OTA built into the VIP722k, I'd think DirecTV would want to keep up with the competition. The point I was trying to make was that I can get on DBStalk.com, or a number of other support forums including DirecTV's own, and acquire knowledge that should be part of any CSR or tech training. Seriously? That story can't be isolated considering how many on here refer to calling DirecTV customer service as "CSR roulette". I find it absolutely appalling that DirecTV is OK with what they've got for customer service. The tech story wasn't nearly as big a deal as the ridiculous lack of knowledge found in almost EVERY single CSR I've dealt with thus far. It really is an atrocity for such a large company to operate that way. I have found Dish customer service to be pretty good for the most part. Too bad DirecTV doesn't take a page from Dish. They've got the content while Dish has far better equipment and customer service. Too bad the two companies don't merge. Then we'd be all set!

i believe your prefect dish latest and greatest hopper & joey has no OTA built in. :nono2:

#50 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:15 AM

Why not cancel ur DTV acct and go back to Dish. Believe that you have 30 days.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#51 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

. I have found Dish customer service to be pretty good for the most part. Too bad DirecTV doesn't take a page from Dish. They've got the content while Dish has far better equipment and customer service. Too bad the two companies don't merge. Then we'd be all set!

With Dish ,you need OTA, with Directv you don't. I've had Dish for 3 years and their customer service flat out sucks, their protection plan is a joke, pay $7 a month, and then yet pay another $15 per home visit.

As far as Taking a page, well lets see 28 million customers at DirecTV and 14 Million and falling at Dish. :lol: I think Charlie is the one who needs to take notes.;)

Now back on topic please.

I noticed that I programmed 30Skip twice in the past 2 days, and it seems to work for a couple hours, and then it goes back to 30 slip.

Anyone else notice this?

#52 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

...I noticed that I programmed 30Skip twice in the past 2 days, and it seems to work for a couple hours, and then it goes back to 30 slip.

Anyone else notice this?

If you reboot or if a new release is downloaded which causes a reboot, the HR34 reverts back to 30Slip. So maybe one of these occurred twice in the last couple days?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#53 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

If you reboot or if a new release is downloaded which causes a reboot, the HR34 reverts back to 30Slip. So maybe one of these occurred twice in the last couple days?

It is possible it may have rebooted while I was gone. I'll program it today again and see what happends.

#54 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

i believe your prefect dish latest and greatest hopper & joey has no OTA built in. :nono2:

You mean my "perfect" Dish? Uh, no. If Dish were perfect I would never have entertained another foray into DTV. Dish has awesome speed in their receivers and far better customer service. DTV has a better feature set in their receivers and better content. There are tradeoffs. I can't even criticize DTV without you guys thinking I'm a Dish homer? It's because of people who are willing to settle and take what DTV gives them that they are still so far behind in terms of receiver/DVR performance.

#55 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I wouldn't mind installing myself as long as they sent me one for free. Considering Dish Network offers OTA built into the VIP722k, I'd think DirecTV would want to keep up with the competition.!

Sorry, but can't let this go.

Why should they set you up with Free OTA equipment? Why should they care if you have OTA or not or whether you can DVR it? Screw the cable into the back of the TV thats what they have Built in tuners for.

I'm sorry but I think Unless you have NO locals available then Directv should make the customer do their own buying and installing of OTA equipment.

And the Vip 722k does NOT have OTA built in . You have to buy the module seperately.
http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/B003UQOVXI

Edited by damondlt, 15 June 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#56 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Why not cancel ur DTV acct and go back to Dish. Believe that you have 30 days.

It's entirely possible that I could do that. Last night the so-called "flagship" HR34 became so unresponsive that it took over a minute for it to execute fast forward or advance commands and I had to reboot right in the middle of a recording. It blows me away that DirecTV could allow a DVR that does things like that to be out of beta and for sale on the open market. The HR34 falls far short of the falsely advertised performance that the over-zealous DTV-bots at Best Buy like to make you think it has. I don't necessarily care about the Joey/Hopper and I understand it has no OTA built in but the VIP722k that I currently possess certainly does. I am not happy about the Hopper either. The deceptive advertising by Dish on that unit annoys me as well. They tout 6 recordings at once but they don't bother to tell you, unless you delve deeply into the fine print, is that 3 of those tuners are not at your control. In essence, you end up with 3 tuners. Of course, that's why I chose to try DTV once again and with an HR34 because the appeal of 5 tuners was too great. I am going to wait and see how it does over time. Hopefully that occurrence last night was a rare thing. Based on feedback from other HR34 owners, I am not sure it is. All I can hope for is a firmware update to address some of the slowness issues that still plague the HR34. Thanks for the input ...

#57 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Folks, I have deleted several posts that were so off topic as not to belong in this thread. Please, let's keep it to discussion of the HR34.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#58 OFFLINE   T-Mac

T-Mac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I've had an HR34 since March 5th and am new to DIRECTV. The 34 has come a LONG way in those 3 months in terms of progress. It still has quite a way to go to be considered a "flagship" device. Just my opinion.

#59 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

I've had an HR34 since March 5th and am new to DIRECTV. The 34 has come a LONG way in those 3 months in terms of progress. It still has quite a way to go to be considered a "flagship" device. Just my opinion.

Compared to what it is touted as, the HR34 is a POS. These issues of slowness and unresponsiveness are basic quality control issues. How in the heck would anyone in their right mind allow the HR34 out there with the types of issues I've read about and experienced? Love the feature set, hate the performance.

#60 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Anyone see the issue I reported earlier?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...