Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: Version 0x054C Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
272 replies to this topic

#51 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,708 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

. I have found Dish customer service to be pretty good for the most part. Too bad DirecTV doesn't take a page from Dish. They've got the content while Dish has far better equipment and customer service. Too bad the two companies don't merge. Then we'd be all set!

With Dish ,you need OTA, with Directv you don't. I've had Dish for 3 years and their customer service flat out sucks, their protection plan is a joke, pay $7 a month, and then yet pay another $15 per home visit.

As far as Taking a page, well lets see 28 million customers at DirecTV and 14 Million and falling at Dish. :lol: I think Charlie is the one who needs to take notes.;)

Now back on topic please.

I noticed that I programmed 30Skip twice in the past 2 days, and it seems to work for a couple hours, and then it goes back to 30 slip.

Anyone else notice this?

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

...I noticed that I programmed 30Skip twice in the past 2 days, and it seems to work for a couple hours, and then it goes back to 30 slip.

Anyone else notice this?

If you reboot or if a new release is downloaded which causes a reboot, the HR34 reverts back to 30Slip. So maybe one of these occurred twice in the last couple days?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#53 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

If you reboot or if a new release is downloaded which causes a reboot, the HR34 reverts back to 30Slip. So maybe one of these occurred twice in the last couple days?

It is possible it may have rebooted while I was gone. I'll program it today again and see what happends.

#54 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

i believe your prefect dish latest and greatest hopper & joey has no OTA built in. :nono2:

You mean my "perfect" Dish? Uh, no. If Dish were perfect I would never have entertained another foray into DTV. Dish has awesome speed in their receivers and far better customer service. DTV has a better feature set in their receivers and better content. There are tradeoffs. I can't even criticize DTV without you guys thinking I'm a Dish homer? It's because of people who are willing to settle and take what DTV gives them that they are still so far behind in terms of receiver/DVR performance.

#55 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I wouldn't mind installing myself as long as they sent me one for free. Considering Dish Network offers OTA built into the VIP722k, I'd think DirecTV would want to keep up with the competition.!

Sorry, but can't let this go.

Why should they set you up with Free OTA equipment? Why should they care if you have OTA or not or whether you can DVR it? Screw the cable into the back of the TV thats what they have Built in tuners for.

I'm sorry but I think Unless you have NO locals available then Directv should make the customer do their own buying and installing of OTA equipment.

And the Vip 722k does NOT have OTA built in . You have to buy the module seperately.
http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/B003UQOVXI

Edited by damondlt, 15 June 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#56 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Why not cancel ur DTV acct and go back to Dish. Believe that you have 30 days.

It's entirely possible that I could do that. Last night the so-called "flagship" HR34 became so unresponsive that it took over a minute for it to execute fast forward or advance commands and I had to reboot right in the middle of a recording. It blows me away that DirecTV could allow a DVR that does things like that to be out of beta and for sale on the open market. The HR34 falls far short of the falsely advertised performance that the over-zealous DTV-bots at Best Buy like to make you think it has. I don't necessarily care about the Joey/Hopper and I understand it has no OTA built in but the VIP722k that I currently possess certainly does. I am not happy about the Hopper either. The deceptive advertising by Dish on that unit annoys me as well. They tout 6 recordings at once but they don't bother to tell you, unless you delve deeply into the fine print, is that 3 of those tuners are not at your control. In essence, you end up with 3 tuners. Of course, that's why I chose to try DTV once again and with an HR34 because the appeal of 5 tuners was too great. I am going to wait and see how it does over time. Hopefully that occurrence last night was a rare thing. Based on feedback from other HR34 owners, I am not sure it is. All I can hope for is a firmware update to address some of the slowness issues that still plague the HR34. Thanks for the input ...

#57 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,939 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Folks, I have deleted several posts that were so off topic as not to belong in this thread. Please, let's keep it to discussion of the HR34.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#58 OFFLINE   T-Mac

T-Mac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I've had an HR34 since March 5th and am new to DIRECTV. The 34 has come a LONG way in those 3 months in terms of progress. It still has quite a way to go to be considered a "flagship" device. Just my opinion.

#59 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

I've had an HR34 since March 5th and am new to DIRECTV. The 34 has come a LONG way in those 3 months in terms of progress. It still has quite a way to go to be considered a "flagship" device. Just my opinion.

Compared to what it is touted as, the HR34 is a POS. These issues of slowness and unresponsiveness are basic quality control issues. How in the heck would anyone in their right mind allow the HR34 out there with the types of issues I've read about and experienced? Love the feature set, hate the performance.

#60 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Anyone see the issue I reported earlier?

#61 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

I know the HR34 is actively being sold, but it still shows on my account as available soon. So are they only using it now as a marketing tool, to lure in new buyers. Knowing that its not quite there yet?

I have to be honest, overall I'm very happy with it. Glad I can record 4 programs and still have a tuner to watch something live. Also enjoy the extra storage and PIP. Just don't like when it sometimes goes to a black screen for several seconds, when I back out of a recording. Or it hesitates with commands from the remote. A couple releases back, I didn't have those issues and that annoys me as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• HMC.JPG

HR34-700, HR22-100

#62 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Anyone see the issue I reported earlier?

All I see you reporting is "slowness and unresponsiveness". Can you be more specific?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#63 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

I know the HR34 is actively being sold, but it still shows on my account as available soon. So are they only using it now as a marketing tool, to lure in new buyers. Knowing that its not quite there yet?

That's what some here who work for DirecTV are reporting. We've been told by them that they'll be available for order on the website "later this year".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#64 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,939 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

This sort of soft rollout is typical for DIRECTV hardware. They are happy to provide them under certain circumstances, and you can get them from third parties like Solid Signal, but the real promotion will start when they have a larger user base to make sure there's no showstopper issue.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#65 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Have had my HR34 since Feb 11th and love it. A few minor problems but nothing really serious. Recorded 5 programs at the same time last nite with no problems. I get the "split" in the guide once in awhile but the up or down arrow fixes that (as an aside, I only seem to notice it when there is one of the DTV advertisement lines above or below the channel that I select in the guide). If it were to really booger up I would turn it off and take a nap. To old to sweat that small stuff.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#66 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

All I see you reporting is "slowness and unresponsiveness". Can you be more specific?

Sorry, I thought I was more specific in an earlier post. The issue I experienced happened while recording one program off a SAT tuner (the NBA Finals) and I kept trying to 30slip and/or fast forward and the lag time for a response was somewhere in the 1-2 minute range. Really any button press was taking that long for a response. I really don't understand how a cutting edge DVR like the HR34 would do that. A reboot seems to have cleared up the issue but like other users, I experience the black screens for several seconds and other odd glitches and latency when performing basic functions like bringing up the guide. Does anyone know when the next software update will be? Are they on set intervals right now? And lastly, is anyone in the know on whether some of these general slowness issues will be addressed in the next update?

#67 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

The issue I experienced happened while recording one program off a SAT tuner (the NBA Finals) and I kept trying to 30slip and/or fast forward and the lag time for a response was somewhere in the 1-2 minute range. Really any button press was taking that long for a response.

Were you trying to use skip while watching the NBA finals game you were recording or were you watching a different recording?

I really don't understand how a cutting edge DVR like the HR34 would do that.

Even "cutting edge" things have their issues in the beginning. Just look at how many issues there have been with, and how many times Airbus has grounded, the A380.

Does anyone know when the next software update will be?

There's no telling.

Are they on set intervals right now?

No, DirecTV does not put out releases at set intervals. They are put out when DirecTV has determined they are ready to be put out.

And lastly, is anyone in the know on whether some of these general slowness issues will be addressed in the next update?

DirecTV doesn't always tell us what is addressed in an update. I can tell you though we've received a few updates for the HR34 already, since its release, and the unit has come a long way. There are still missed recordings issues and those are a higher priority than "slowness".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#68 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Were you trying to use skip while watching the NBA finals game you were recording or were you watching a different recording?

Even "cutting edge" things have their issues in the beginning. Just look at how many issues there have been with, and how many times Airbus has grounded, the A380.

No, DirecTV does not put out releases at set intervals. They are put out when DirecTV has determined they are ready to be put out.

DirecTV doesn't always tell us what is addressed in an update. I can tell you though we've received a few updates for the HR34 already, since its release, and the unit has come a long way. There are still missed recordings issues and those are a higher priority than "slowness".

I was using 30slip and fast forward while watching the NBA Finals as it was being recorded. I was delayed, probably 2 hours behind.
Really any button press response lagged 1-2 minutes.

I work with all types of technology and have for many years so I'm fully aware of that. Some of these glitches and slowness issues are basic operation issues that I can't believe are acceptable for public release.

I understand that many in the church of DTV don't want to hear about Dish, and I'm not trying to turn this into a pro-Dish thread, but I have to use the VIP722k as a point of reference because I've had one for over 3 years.

That receiver is smoking fast and stable compared to the HR34 and is 4+ years old. The HR21 is also around that same era and it is similar in its slowness and balkiness as the HR34. What disturbs me is that while DTV has improved their feature set greatly over the past few years it seems as if they've made no strides whatsoever in terms of receiver performance (i.e. speed of operation) and don't seem to care about it. Sorry but this is just hard for me to understand for the supposed industry leader in satellite TV. It's absolutely maddening having to wait for simple functions to complete when I'm used to having such basic functions happen almost instantaneously. What makes it worse is that these issues are probably fixable in software updates. Hopefully DTV will listen to us and try to do something about it. I am not the only person vehemently complaining, I've seen many other HR34 users on this and other forums complaining about similar issues.

I appreciate your quick response. I'll try not to be off topic in the future.

#69 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

That receiver is smoking fast and stable compared to the HR34 and is 4+ years old.

And there you have an answer that should give you an idea. The VIP722 is "4+ years old" and the HR34 is brand new. Nothing brand new is going to be as bug free as something that is 4+ years old. You can't compare the 2.

You also mention that DirecTV has more features than DISH. That also explains why the boxes may be slower.

Also remember "slow" is a relative term. What may be slow to you is not necessarily slow to me. My HR24 for instance at times is, I think, too fast. Like scrolling through the playlist or guide with my HR24 I fly by where I want to go most of the time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#70 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

I still stand by the fact I've owned 3 Directv HDDVR's in the first month of release, and I full expect a 6 month or so window for them to work things out. HR34 is a lot better now for me than it was in Jan :)

I also had a ViP722k when it first came out, and it did some screwy things as well.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#71 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I still stand by the fact I've owned 3 Directv HDDVR's in the first month of release, and I full expect a 6 month or so window for them to work things out. HR34 is a lot better now for me than it was in Jan :)

I agree. The HR34 has come a long way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#72 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

Im not a MRV user, but I have the AM21 and regularly record 30-35 hours a week of mixed Sat and OTA programming. I just dont have any real issues, it records and plays back, which is what I need it to do.

2TB hdd was a must for me though. Im just now watching stuff from the week of May 10th.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#73 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

OK guys, I programmed 30Skip again at 10:45 am, went to the movies with the wife and kids, Came home and again it went back to 30 slip.

Any other suggestions?

Also I downloaded an on demand movie, and the freezes and dropouts I was getting before seem to have gone away.

#74 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

OK guys, I programmed 30Skip again at 10:45 am, went to the movies with the wife and kids, Came home and again it went back to 30 slip.

Your unit rebooted while you were gone.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#75 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

I also had a ViP722k when it first came out, and it did some screwy things as well.

The VIP,s also Reboot themselves every 24 hours. I guess if I did that with my HR34 it might work better too.:lol:

Only Problem is they take 24 hours to download all the on-demand and 48 hours to do the parental ratings.:(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...