Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote is sloooooooow

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Do Dish receiver auto-reboot daily, or is that a myth, or limited to some receivers?

I'm not sure how they manage it. Perhaps they do program it to refresh itself. At least they're smart enough to automate the process, if that's the case. ;)

I know the HDD stops spinning when the unit is "off", unlike the HRs that I had. Of course, that means that when you do power on there is no buffer.

What I do know is that I used to have to manually reboot my D* receiver at least once a week, usually more. I have had to shut my Hopper off and unplug it once since I got it in early April. That was about a month ago, after a firmware update. No problems since then.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm not sure how they manage it. Perhaps they do program it to refresh itself. At least they're smart enough to automate the process, if that's the case. ;).

Every night when the program guide updates the units reboot. Luckily it doesn't take them up to 24 hours to repopulate like D*'s receivers do. :D
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#23 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,618 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Every night when the program guide updates the units reboot. Luckily it doesn't take them up to 24 hours to repopulate like D*'s receivers do. :D

• It seldom, if ever, takes that long to populate the Guide, even from scratch.

• The Guide is no longer flushed on a reboot; even on a software upgrade.

• When I flush the Guide on purpose, the upcoming hours are repopulated almost immediately. Going out over 10 days takes time.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

It can for things like posters. And in cases like the H25, the guide does flush with every reboot.

#25 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

Well, whatever it is, it works very well, and I'm happy with it.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#26 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

It can for things like posters. And in cases like the H25, the guide does flush with every reboot.

I don't think the guide flushes on any normal reboot.... I usually check the Guide after a reboot, and unless I purposely flush it, it's there. On HR20-700, HR25-500, and two H25s. Be interested if others have different experience with those boxes, or others.

#27 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

I used to think the same thing, but was corrected.

#28 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Which same thing, and by whom corrected? (Please, and assuming you were replying to my post.)

#29 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

I just passed 1 month for DirecTV and since last week, changing channels has become very slow. Is this normal? I've tried both remotes (Harmony/DirecTV) and still slow. I have HD but no DVR, all my channels react the same way.....using channel number, last 4, last channel, etc. What will usually happen is i press the channel, then it will delay for 10-15 seconds, then the screen will go black for about 10-15 seconds, then it will be fine. Never had this problem on TWC, it was instant. Any ideas?

Directv's boxes are just slow. You'll get used to it.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#30 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Which same thing, and by whom corrected? (Please, and assuming you were replying to my post.)

That a reboot didn't flush the guide on a regular receiver. It may have been VOS or Sigma that corrected me.

Found it, it was RunnerFL.

Also remember that a non DVR doesn't have as much guide data, its only a week's worth.

Edited by dpeters11, 09 June 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

This may help:

Go to UserCP
On the left side under Settings & Options
Click Edit Ignore List
Add a Member to your list

Thanks , It worked!:lol:

#32 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

That a reboot didn't flush the guide on a regular receiver. It may have been VOS or Sigma that corrected me.

Found it, it was RunnerFL.

Also remember that a non DVR doesn't have as much guide data, its only a week's worth.

Whew! I was worried that my observations were wrong or I had very 'special' receivers.
It used to be that a reboot flushed the guide, at least it did in the first year or so of my HR20. l

#33 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:44 AM

Whew! I was worried that my observations were wrong or I had very 'special' receivers.
It used to be that a reboot flushed the guide, at least it did in the first year or so of my HR20. l

It all depends on the firmware upgrade. Some upgrades required a flush of the guide (and it was done automagically), others didn't/don't and it takes two reboots within 30 minutes to force a guide flush.

By the time most users see a new firmware download, it has been running for four hours or more, and has been rebuilt far enough out that they never notice that the guide is being rebuilt. (one good reason firmware upgrades tend to happen around 2:30 a.m.)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#34 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

Can't believe there's been this many replies and nobody has suggested turning off native on the receiver and making it scale everything to a certain resolution.. That will usually speed up channel changes a decent amount.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#35 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

Can't believe there's been this many replies and nobody has suggested turning off native on the receiver and making it scale everything to a certain resolution.. That will usually speed up channel changes a decent amount.

I like native, so I wouldn't tell someone to turn it off. Plus the response difference is hardly worth mentioning.
Unless you have a poor HD TV.

#36 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Right, the guide on the DVRs used to be in memory, like it is on the non DVRs. It was moved to the hard drive.

#37 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

I've got two HR-24s and one H24. I only ever had to reboot one of the HR-24s a couple times since I first got it in May 2010. Since the HD Guide update I haven't had to reboot it at all. Native is turned off and output is set to 1080i and 1080p only. Remote is set to RF instead of IR. Only time I get sluggish response is when the batteries in remote are drained and need recharging. I get better response from the receiverS than I do the tv's when changing the volume.

#38 OFFLINE   jp7794

jp7794

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi everyone. This may deserve its own thread. My one week old HR24 has slow response time (~20 seconds) when trying to access the menu, guide. The guide scrolls smoothly but if I try to access another channel or menu item there is the same 20 second lag. Rebooting resolves this issue. It does this every couple of days. Is this normal and should I risk getting a new receiver which I assume will be a reman?

Thanks in advance.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...