Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dish drops AMC, lets hope Directv does the same...

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Amc is posting that the Dish Network is going to drop them.. GOOD.. I hope that Directv is the same.. until they go back to their old No Commercial format or commercials only between shows.. They set the standard, no commercials.. and they broke it..

so Dish is going to dump them.. GOOD.. Please D* follow suit ,until they go back to their original format..

because right now, they are worst then watching a movie on WGN.. who can take an hour and a half movie and make it a five hour epic..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Most watch it for their superb original programming on Sunday nights and DirecTV isn't dropping it anytime soon.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Let's hope they dont...
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

Their original format sucked.

Their current format of great original programming makes it one of the top networks to watch.

And you want them dropped?

With Netflix, Blu Ray's, and other options, who would even consider watching a broadcast movie anyway?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

God I hope they don't drop them.I want more & different movies from them.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#6 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

That's what DVR's are for...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#7 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

Their original format sucked.

Their current format of great original programming makes it one of the top networks to watch.

And you want them dropped?

With Netflix, Blu Ray's, and other options, who would even consider watching a broadcast movie anyway?

Their original programming is great. But of course it is only on Sunday night and it is only 5 series. For the other 6 days a week it is movies stretched out over a long time with lots of ads to pad the time.

I don't want D* to cancel them because I like 3 of the 5 original shows, but sometimes my wallet talks to me and says that if the costs keep rising and my income doesn't, that I may end up missing things I like 'cause it costs to damned much!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#8 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Amc is posting that the Dish Network is going to drop them.. GOOD.. I hope that Directv is the same.. until they go back to their old No Commercial format or commercials only between shows.. They set the standard, no commercials.. and they broke it..

so Dish is going to dump them.. GOOD.. Please D* follow suit ,until they go back to their original format..

because right now, they are worst then watching a movie on WGN.. who can take an hour and a half movie and make it a five hour epic..

If you don't like AMC delete it from your guide listing and pretend it was dropped.
Meanwhile many of us will continue to watch The Killing, Walking Dead, and many other of AMC's great original programming.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

It's days like these that I wish there was a way for content provider costs to be more directly transparent to end consumers somehow.

These content providers just keep raising rates at alarming levels, but they have TV providers to mask the increases somewhat and all scrambling to come up with creative ways to keep customers.

Would love for consumers to stick it to the content providers and keep them in line somehow.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#10 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

I agree. If the end user knew what the rate increases actually are and the real costs, there might be some push back from them. But as long as the TV providers don't increase the cost to us by huge numbers, it won't happen.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,486 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

As this has nothing to do with why Dish may drop them, I don't get your point.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,958 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

As this has nothing to do with why Dish may drop them, I don't get your point.

I think I get his point: He hates the run of commercials. But agree with you, and I doubt any distributor will lean successfully on a content provider to alter their mix/length of commercials.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Did you ever consider the possibility that maybe they couldn't make money without the commercials?
They are not a charity.

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Why does this thread even exist?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#15 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

If directv dropped every channel that's changed from it's original programming model, there wouldn't be many channels left. You could say adios to HLN, SyFy, Bravo, E, History, Food Network, Spike, TVguide, and dozens more.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#16 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

Looks like it's more than just AMC Dish is dropping. WE tv, IFC, and Sundance are all owned by AMC Networks. I will be interesting to see how many remain.

Dish says it is dropping AMC Networks

#17 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

I think I get his point: He hates the run of commercials. But agree with you, and I doubt any distributor will lean successfully on a content provider to alter their mix/length of commercials.

There in lies the entire problem with the setup we have today. The consumer, the actual watcher of the stations have no say so in any of these disputes. The disputes are all between the distributor and the provider, we can't really vote with our pocketbook to show our displeasure or vice versa, we have a third party that is representing their own interests, with little concern to the consumer.

#18 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Without a la carte pricing, it'll never happen.

But a la carte pricing has its own issues.

Maybe. . . maybe. . . you could get to a place where the provider "bundles" are a la carte priced, in which case at least the individual consumer could decide for themself if they wanted AMC badly enough to pay for Sundance, etc.

And on that day, the screams of pain from the sports fans will be deafening, because they are certainly being heavily subsidized today.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#19 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

Why does this thread even exist?

Pointless hit and run thread.
Say something controversial and then watch the fallout.

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

I haven't watched AMC since the 90's. Every should drop Rainbow..

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall