Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dish drops AMC, lets hope Directv does the same...

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Did you ever consider the possibility that maybe they couldn't make money without the commercials?
They are not a charity.

neither is Turner movie classics.. but guess what. they still have the same format.. and I watch them.. I used to watch AMC almost every day.. and I can't tell you how many vhs tapes I have made from their programming.. but as soon as they went to commercials, I stopped.. the same with fox movie channel. Hey you start and set the format, you can't change horses in midstream and expect people to stay with them..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

I dropped DirecTV due in part to no AMC HD (which they eventually added), and now I've dropped Dish for the same reason (which they are going to drop out of spite over lawsuits). I regret that they are no longer mostly commercial free. But that simply wasn't a sustainable model. A few years ago I never dreamed I'd go back to cable, but they've far surpassed satellite in terms of basic HD content. I now have not only AMC HD, but also WE HD and IFC HD, neither of which Dish or DirecTV have.

Getting back to the topic, I hope DirecTV keeps AMC (I'm sure they will) and uses it to take customers from Dish.

#23 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,465 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hope they don't drop it, but if they did it wouldn't bother me. I don't watch anything on AMC.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#24 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

It's days like these that I wish there was a way for content provider costs to be more directly transparent to end consumers somehow.

These content providers just keep raising rates at alarming levels, but they have TV providers to mask the increases somewhat and all scrambling to come up with creative ways to keep customers.

Would love for consumers to stick it to the content providers and keep them in line somehow.

I think the only way to do that would be if we all droped our service from all providers, I dont see that anytime soon.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#25 OFFLINE   ponchsox

ponchsox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Breaking Bad starts next month. Directv better not drop AMC.

#26 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I dropped DirecTV due in part to no AMC HD (which they eventually added), and now I've dropped Dish for the same reason (which they are going to drop out of spite over lawsuits). I regret that they are no longer mostly commercial free. But that simply wasn't a sustainable model. A few years ago I never dreamed I'd go back to cable, but they've far surpassed satellite in terms of basic HD content. I now have not only AMC HD, but also WE HD and IFC HD, neither of which Dish or DirecTV have.

Getting back to the topic, I hope DirecTV keeps AMC (I'm sure they will) and uses it to take customers from Dish.

It sounds like your cable gets more content you want than sat services. Is that an accurate statement? Regardless, cable is widely varied according to location, even with the same provider.
Do you live in an Urban area? Do you mind stating where?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#27 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Breaking Bad starts next month. Directv better not drop AMC.

Since they contracted with AMC not long ago, and deals tend to be of the multiyear type, I feel we're pretty safe for this season.

BTW, I hope Dish does not lose subs over this. If they don't, it strengthens the hand of both sat services at the negotiating table.

#28 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Shouldnt this be in the dish section ?

What does this have to do with directv.

Why dont you just post dish quarterly sub report too while your at it.

#29 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

I used to watch AMC almost every day.. and I can't tell you how many vhs tapes I have made from their programming..

LOL, you can buy DVD's of those same programs for less than $5 or you can probably buy the VHS versions for under $1. It amazes me that people still watch movies on cable channels (other than premiums - and even that's somewhat surprising). And even if you do (shudder), just record them and ff through the commercials, why is that so tough?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#30 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Amc is posting that the Dish Network is going to drop them.. GOOD.. I hope that Directv is the same.. until they go back to their old No Commercial format or commercials only between shows.. They set the standard, no commercials.. and they broke it..

so Dish is going to dump them.. GOOD.. Please D* follow suit ,until they go back to their original format..

because right now, they are worst then watching a movie on WGN.. who can take an hour and a half movie and make it a five hour epic..

I don't care much for AMC either but I don't post and rant about it. There are many who enjoy AMC's original programing and feel differently than we do. If AMC bothers you that much then don't watch it. Better still, take BubblePuppy's advice and delete it from your guide listing.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#31 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Shouldnt this be in the dish section ?

What does this have to do with directv.

Why dont you just post dish quarterly sub report too while your at it.

Yea, Exactly, this has nothing to do with anything.:nono:

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#32 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Pointless hit and run thread.
Say something controversial and then watch the fallout.

OK well then,
Directv customers have nothing to worry about with AMC, cause we didn't bury Voom evidence and get ourselves sued by AMC.
So there we have it !
:P

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#33 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Without a la carte pricing, it'll never happen.

But a la carte pricing has its own issues.

Maybe. . . maybe. . . you could get to a place where the provider "bundles" are a la carte priced, in which case at least the individual consumer could decide for themself if they wanted AMC badly enough to pay for Sundance, etc.

And on that day, the screams of pain from the sports fans will be deafening, because they are certainly being heavily subsidized today.

You'll lose at least half the channels out there in an a la carte model. When it comes down to it, most channels are subsidized if you look at the ratings and the costs. The big channels get the most money and pay for the smaller channels. If the consumer wants a la carte, they'll have a lot less choice which is the ironic part because most people think a la carte = choice. It actually means the exact opposite because a number of channels simply cannot exist in an a la carte format.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#34 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Why does this thread even exist?

For the lulz?
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#35 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

That's a ridiculously selfish reason for wanting D* to drop AMC...many of us watch the outstanding original programming, and since many of us have DVR's, commercial breaks don't mean much at all. If you will only watch stations with no commercial breaks, how many channels that you get actually have that, besides TCM, and the premium movie channels, which all have commercials between shows/movies. There are many ways to get commercial free movies, dropping AMC seems like a poorly thought out idea.

#36 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

It sounds like your cable gets more content you want than sat services. Is that an accurate statement? Regardless, cable is widely varied according to location, even with the same provider.
Do you live in an Urban area? Do you mind stating where?

Small city on the east coast. My cable company changed to SDV very recently and added over 60 HD channels in the past few months, about 20 of them just a few days ago. So the stars aligned for me. There is only one favorite channel of mine I still have to watch in SD. If I had stayed with Dish, there would be about 10, or 20 if I'd gone back to DirecTV. Granted, their DVR interface hasn't changed in at least 15 years, so I'll really miss the Hopper. But I'll have my Ceton based HTPC running soon and all will be well.

#37 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

You'll lose at least half the channels out there in an a la carte model. When it comes down to it, most channels are subsidized if you look at the ratings and the costs. The big channels get the most money and pay for the smaller channels. If the consumer wants a la carte, they'll have a lot less choice which is the ironic part because most people think a la carte = choice. It actually means the exact opposite because a number of channels simply cannot exist in an a la carte format.

I too think that "a la carte" isn't the answer that people think it is. But it wouldn't bother me to lose channels. Honestly, there are too many out there. Look at AMC for example. Why do they have both Sundance and IFC? Aren't they both basically the same thing? Why not combine them and their original programming together and eliminate most of the repeats? Same with Military Channel. The programming on that channel could easily be split up among Science and Discovery.

And then you have HGTV/DIY and History/H2. :nono2:

Get rid of the fluff and make the remaining channels worth paying for.

#38 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

For those happy they can watch AMC original programming on directv while dish takes a stand against insane pricing demands. Who gets to make up for the millions in lost subscriber fees when AMC goes dark on July 1st? How can AMC sustain the current lineup of original programming without that revenue? If I was one that would like to see all those shows continue I would not be happy that Directv is not siding with Dish on this and to see a fair resolution for all interested parties.

Those AMC viewers that think they are immune to what is is really happening here either refuse to understand the economics at play or are foolish enough to think this is only a Dish problem.

#39 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

To the op, go crawl back into your hole! Close this thread mods really!

#40 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Let's be kind. A thread can be started with any intent, good bad or indifferent, and can turn into an interesting discussion.... or to crap.

It's the how the folks posting to it that determines what it becomes. There are a few who dump on other's choices without thinking, and that tends to others being defensive, yada, yada.

spam firewall