Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dish drops AMC, lets hope Directv does the same...

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

For those happy they can watch AMC original programming on directv while dish takes a stand against insane pricing demands. Who gets to make up for the millions in lost subscriber fees when AMC goes dark on July 1st? How can AMC sustain the current lineup of original programming without that revenue? If I was one that would like to see all those shows continue I would not be happy that Directv is not siding with Dish on this and to see a fair resolution for all interested parties.

Those AMC viewers that think they are immune to what is is really happening here either refuse to understand the economics at play or are foolish enough to think this is only a Dish problem.

What?? I am sure there are subs on both sides of the aisle who understand what's going on.... and those who don't.

But you should consider that even if DIRECTV® wanted to fully side with Dish and make AMC go dark tonight, they could not, both for contractual reasons, as well as collusion that'd grab the attention of the Justice Dept.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

the concept for the channel was to play old movies in their original format, uncut and uninterrupted. they stopped the concept. I am NOT saying you can't have commercials.. have them during the breaks.. but don't destroy the movies or the basic concept of the channel. and there is only one way for a channel to get the message. go back to your format.. or get dumped.. Dish is dumping them.. congrats for fighting back.. Fox movie channel should be next..
as for a personal attack.. for what reason? to build yourself up by cutting others down.. thats not a build up.. however it does expose you for what you are..

#43 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Directv would not even think about dropping AMC. The channel btw is NO LONGER "American Movie Classics" it is AMC. This channel means a lot to me and many and the revolt would be swift and hurt Directv if they dropped the channel. Also there is not a contract issue and for that reason this thread should be closed!

#44 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Tell me, that if a movie comes up on Turner, even if you own it, that you don't watch it.. especially if it just sounds , right.. Hey look.. Mr. Roberts is on.. or Mr. Smith goes to Washington.. , Casablanca.. I can't tell you how many Charlie Chan movies I watched on AMC.. I have close to 36 hours of tape of them.. yet if one came on and I was looking for something to watch, I would watch it, IF IT WERE UNCUT.. I watched all the old Universal Horror Movies on AMC.. trust me, Amc was one of my top three channels watched at one point in time. now I have to look to see what number it is.. and with out their original programming, I know that a ton of others agree with me..

#45 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

This was how long ago? It is not the same channel anymore, they are no different from other channels rebadging themselves really. What more is to say here.

#46 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

2002 was the change I think. I remember watching the Hitchcock marathon during the Film Preservation Festival, the first time I saw The Lodger, in 2000 I think.

#47 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

I too think that "a la carte" isn't the answer that people think it is. But it wouldn't bother me to lose channels. Honestly, there are too many out there. Look at AMC for example. Why do they have both Sundance and IFC? Aren't they both basically the same thing? Why not combine them and their original programming together and eliminate most of the repeats? Same with Military Channel. The programming on that channel could easily be split up among Science and Discovery.

And then you have HGTV/DIY and History/H2. :nono2:

Get rid of the fluff and make the remaining channels worth paying for.

The problem is that for everyone that you don't care about, some people do. There are many channels that fit that bill, including a lot of channels that may be of a special interest for certain people or points of view.

If channels are combined in the way you are asking, then some programming has to go away. Programming that someone enjoys and will be upset. That's the nature of the beast which is why choices will go away.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

If I was one that would like to see all those shows continue I would not be happy that Directv is not siding with Dish on this and to see a fair resolution for all interested parties.

D* is under contract to carry AMC and AMC's dispute with DISH does not mean D* can simply break free from their own contract.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

D* is under contract to carry AMC and AMC's dispute with DISH does not mean D* can simply break free from their own contract.

Indeed. Even if they weren't, and even if management were inclined to drop AMC as some sort of solidarity show, to put pressure on, etc, there are reasons they wouldn't. Such as Justice Dept, and FCC.... price fixing might be the hue and cry...

.... though I'm not a lawyer, nor play one on TV.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#50 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

The problem is that for everyone that you don't care about, some people do. There are many channels that fit that bill, including a lot of channels that may be of a special interest for certain people or points of view.

If channels are combined in the way you are asking, then some programming has to go away. Programming that someone enjoys and will be upset. That's the nature of the beast which is why choices will go away.

Of course that is what I have a problem with, the stations weren't determined by the consumers, they were decided by the distribution chain. It isn't survival of the fittest, it's decided by big brother. Directv, Dish, Comcast, TWC, etc... created this system and they just let it grow and we pay more and more for every station they add and we really have no say in the stations we receive.

#51 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

You'll lose at least half the channels out there in an a la carte model. When it comes down to it, most channels are subsidized if you look at the ratings and the costs. The big channels get the most money and pay for the smaller channels. If the consumer wants a la carte, they'll have a lot less choice which is the ironic part because most people think a la carte = choice. It actually means the exact opposite because a number of channels simply cannot exist in an a la carte format.

Well, I do expect that the concentration of content owners will continue. The model I had in mind was content-owner bundles. Some of the really huge congloms like Disney might even offer multiple bundles.

But then at that point it's really not a la carte pricing anymore either. . . but at least the responsibility for price increases under such a model (Sixto's orginal point I was replying to) would fall on the shoulders of the people actually responsible for it, rather than the cable/sat companies being forced to be the "bad guy" facing the consumer.

Edited by georule, 10 June 2012 - 11:46 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#52 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

Actually, if you made me King for a day, I'd force a system that got rid of MFNs and, in fact, negotiations.

Make all the content owners publish, publicly, a price list on Nov 1 that takes effect on Jan 1 for the calendar year, per subscriber, no volume or tier discounts. It is what it is, cable/sat could pay this for it for the next calendar year or not. I would allow the content providers to bundle, or not, as they saw fit, but it is what it is. Any cable/sat willing to pay that price gets it. Anyone who wants to walk away is free to do so. Content owners allowed to lower the published price anytime they want, during the year, by publishing a new list, but only lower, never higher, and everybody gets the lowered price immediately.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#53 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

Somebody doesn't have a DeeVeeRRRRR!

I haven't watched a commercial except for the Super Bowl for 10 years!

#54 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

Amc is posting that the Dish Network is going to drop them.. GOOD.. I hope that Directv is the same.. until they go back to their old No Commercial format or commercials only between shows.. They set the standard, no commercials.. and they broke it..

so Dish is going to dump them.. GOOD.. Please D* follow suit ,until they go back to their original format..

because right now, they are worst then watching a movie on WGN.. who can take an hour and a half movie and make it a five hour epic..

Couldn't disagree more. I never watched AMC until Mad Men. And now The Killing, Walking Dead, and other new shows, I am a weekly watcher of AMC. Commercials? That is what the skip button is for.

Now WGN and suggesting AMC is similar? Again, couldn't disagree more. AMC has the above mentioned shows. WGN? Reruns and ball games I get with the MLB package. No comparison between the two.

#55 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

To the op, go crawl back into your hole! Close this thread mods really!

Without the hate, I agree. This is a silly thread. How often would we allow a "I dislike this channel, get rid of it" thread continue?

A QVC or PPV thread would not last a day.

#56 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

the concept for the channel was to play old movies in their original format, uncut and uninterrupted. they stopped the concept. I am NOT saying you can't have commercials.. have them during the breaks.. but don't destroy the movies or the basic concept of the channel. and there is only one way for a channel to get the message. go back to your format.. or get dumped.. Dish is dumping them.. congrats for fighting back.. Fox movie channel should be next..
as for a personal attack.. for what reason? to build yourself up by cutting others down.. thats not a build up.. however it does expose you for what you are..

They changed that concept in 2002. A&E did the same. FMC changed their format at the begining of this year. We live in a changing world. The dispute between AMC and DISH is over carriage, not content. That is the reason why DISH may be dropping AMC.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#57 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,023 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:59 AM

I welcome any and all HD channels - even though I don't watch them all.

Somebody does, so what's the problem in having them?

Answer: no problem.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#58 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

How about DirecTV just cease to offer any HD programming I think that sounds like better TV, because remember their used to be less commercials before HD. You see they are adding more commercials because HD cameras cost more.

#59 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

How about DirecTV just cease to offer any HD programming I think that sounds like better TV, because remember their used to be less commercials before HD. You see they are adding more commercials because HD cameras cost more.

There's more commercials because by law they are allowed more. They can't just air 25 minutes of commercials an hour because they choose to do so.

#60 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Commercial producers pay stations to air their ads which enables stations to pay for programing.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...