Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DLNA Server Experience

1080p hopper

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   depoteet

depoteet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

I've seen mentions of TVersity and PlayOn in the forum. I tried the basic version of TVersity but it features are very limited. PlayOn seems full featured, but I don't like the suscription model.

What are the experiences of others here with other products? I'm aware of Plex, Serviio, Mezzmo, and the PS3 Media Server (which I understand doesn't require a PS3.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

I've tried practically all of them at one time or another and every one has some limitations that I didn't like. In the end, I stayed with Playon and Playlater on an annual subscription basis. But they also have 'lifetime' available too if you're so inclined.

If you're not familiar with Playlater, it is basically a way to record shows from the 'channels' they offer. It can be bought/subscribed as a standalone product, but then the videos are all on the computer. Or it can be coupled with Playon so that you can watch on TV via whatever DLNA client you have. I've watched it via PS3 and DirecTV HRxx boxes. Works fine, but no real trickplay other than pause.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

I just "discovered" this DLNA thing... works great with WMP12. I can find and play all my MP3's... search all my pictures by folder and play slideshows of any folder... really nice! Just "Allow remote control" under streaming in WMP, and make sure media streaming is turned on in network settings. I was surprised at how easy it was. Have network plugged into Hopper (no HIC).

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

I use PlayOn but I got the 'lifetime' subscription for a ridiculously low price at Christmas (like 40 bucks, I think, I forget). It's stellar.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   depoteet

depoteet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

After working with 6 products over the weekend and looking at the comments here, I think I'm going to call PlayOn and ask if they'll make me a deal on a lifetime subscription. I really don't need all the services they're offering and the TVersity Pro would meet most of needs at a lower cost. However TVersity seems to have a poor support and little care for their clients.

Thanks for all the comments here.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

Heck for the free Roku XD I'd pay full price.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   depoteet

depoteet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

I agree the price with the Roku is great, but I guess I don't understand why I'd need it if I have PlayOn and the Hopper. Aren't they providing the same thing?

#8 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

So what's the main reason for getting Playon? To stream Netflix and Hulu? I can't really see a need with the Hopper offering almost everything except those.

#9 OFFLINE   depoteet

depoteet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yes, Netflix and Hulu are the main reason, but I also have a very large library of my own content that I'd like to make available. As part of my move to Dish I picked up Blockbuster as a Netflix replacement, but it falls far short of my expectations. Otherwise, I'm very happy with Dish and the Hopper at this point (as long as AMC doesn't really go away).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...