Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tampa Bay Bucs Coming Blackouts/Locals-NFLST

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Where does someone beyond the 75 mile radius...like 90+ miles fall. Im in the Orlando DMA bordering Tampa DMA and Gainsville DMA by a hair and I mean a hair. My zip code is actually two DMA's. If I remember correctly I was blacked out of a few Tampa Bay home games I attempted to watch. This hinges on renewal for 2012.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/

That's a good place to check on things however if you were blacked out last year of games you're going to be considered in market.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Shades... I have an open ticket on this. What more do you know about this issue? It makes no sense I was blacked out last year.

#4 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Shades... I have an open ticket on this. What more do you know about this issue? It makes no sense I was blacked out last year.

It doesn't matter if it makes no sense, Orlando is a secondary market to Tampa Bay. part of Orlando and your DMA signal reaches Tampa Bay. So if a Tampa Bay home game is blackout, you will be blackout period. But you will be require to show all road games too.

#5 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:47 AM

It doesn't matter if it makes no sense, Orlando is a secondary market to Tampa Bay. part of Orlando and your DMA signal reaches Tampa Bay. So if a Tampa Bay home game is blackout, you will be blackout period. But you will be require to show all road games too.

Part of the signal reaches to within 75 miles of the stadium you mean. That's the rule. Not that it reaches Tampa Bay. Just like Jacksonville with their blackout radius. Orlando and Jacksonville proper you can't even make a case for them being within 75 miles of each other or either market picking up the others signal. However, Orlando's signal penetrates the 75 mile barrier therefore they are blacked out there too.

I know South of Tampa the nearest you can go is Naples/Ft Myers. North, due to signal penetration it is probably when you pick up Jacksonville channels.

That said, I've argued this for years now and will keep doing so until the rule is changed (so, until I die). If for example you live on the Space Coast of Florida, you receive Orlando locals. So, because of this you are blacked out if the Bucs or Jaguars aren't sold out. I think this is fine for the local stations. If they don't sell out, you do black it out to the masses OTA. However, if you are an NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber and they can determine by your zip code which is what they use to determine everything else that you do not live in that 75 mile radius which in my example you wouldn't, then I believe it should be available to SUNDAY TICKET SUBSCRIBERS in those areas.

Edited by zimm7778, 11 June 2012 - 01:53 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

We are still getting these complaints despite the fact blackout rules really haven't changed much in the past 10 years?

#7 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Where does someone beyond the 75 mile radius...like 90+ miles fall. Im in the Orlando DMA bordering Tampa DMA and Gainsville DMA by a hair and I mean a hair. My zip code is actually two DMA's. If I remember correctly I was blacked out of a few Tampa Bay home games I attempted to watch. This hinges on renewal for 2012.

I took Notice (You are all over the Place)

Screen Name: of Upmichigan
Avaitar: Green Bay Packers
Watching: Tampa Bay Bucks Games

:):):) :lol::lol::lol: :D:D:D :hurah::hurah::hurah: :grin::grin::grin:

#8 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

We are still getting these complaints despite the fact blackout rules really haven't changed much in the past 10 years?

Rules haven't, but Buccaneers ticket sales have -- blackouts are now relevant to folks that never worried about them previously.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#9 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

I took Notice (You are all over the Place)

Screen Name: of Upmichigan
Avaitar: Green Bay Packers
Watching: Tampa Bay Bucks Games

:):):) :lol::lol::lol: :D:D:D :hurah::hurah::hurah: :grin::grin::grin:

Yes I have moved from WI to the UP while I was building my last home ever in WI...moved into it, sold it and now I live in Florida. I have always been a semi fan of Tampa Bay. Still very sore over another Giants victory. Yes I am bitter to this day over that knock out. My user name could be changed but I decided to keep it.

#10 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Well common sense would make anyone question it. Orlando and Tampa are on opposite coasts. You wouldnt think they would be in the same market at all.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#11 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Part of the signal reaches to within 75 miles of the stadium you mean. That's the rule. Not that it reaches Tampa Bay. Just like Jacksonville with their blackout radius. Orlando and Jacksonville proper you can't even make a case for them being within 75 miles of each other or either market picking up the others signal. However, Orlando's signal penetrates the 75 mile barrier therefore they are blacked out there too.

I know South of Tampa the nearest you can go is Naples/Ft Myers. North, due to signal penetration it is probably when you pick up Jacksonville channels.

That said, I've argued this for years now and will keep doing so until the rule is changed (so, until I die). If for example you live on the Space Coast of Florida, you receive Orlando locals. So, because of this you are blacked out if the Bucs or Jaguars aren't sold out. I think this is fine for the local stations. If they don't sell out, you do black it out to the masses OTA. However, if you are an NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber and they can determine by your zip code which is what they use to determine everything else that you do not live in that 75 mile radius which in my example you wouldn't, then I believe it should be available to SUNDAY TICKET SUBSCRIBERS in those areas.

Yep, i meant Stadium.

#12 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

Well common sense would make anyone question it. Orlando and Tampa are on opposite coasts. You wouldnt think they would be in the same market at all.

Exactly my thought...

#13 OFFLINE   STEVED21

STEVED21

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Orlando is not on a coast.

#14 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Exactly my thought...

If any part of a TV market is within 75 miles of a stadium, then the entire market is subject to blackout. The distance between Tampa and Orlando is 85 miles.

#15 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

Yes I have moved from WI to the UP while I was building my last home ever in WI...moved into it, sold it and now I live in Florida. I have always been a semi fan of Tampa Bay. Still very sore over another Giants victory. Yes I am bitter to this day over that knock out. My user name could be changed but I decided to keep it.

Thats OK, I live in Erie, Pa. 90 miles from Buffalo, 90 from Pittsburgh, and about 100 to Cleveland..So who do I follow in football...

"The Green Bay Packers" :D

Go Pack

#16 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:54 AM

It can't be managed per address so it's going to based on DMA, Zip, County and if those fall into the range then it's a blackout. So while your physical location might be it doesn't mean that some part of it isn't. No one likes blackouts, and there can be errors, but I can say that they are done with the specific regulations so the least amount of people impacted possible. I have never lived in a market where blackouts were an issue, excluding the Blackhawks, so I've never seen ticket prices during a "must sell" time but you might want to check it out.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

Perfect example - I live 90 miles from Ravens Stadium. I'm in the Philly DMA.
I live in Chester County, which is within 75 miles of the stadium at its closest point. Therefore, Ravens games are blacked out here when not sold out.

IIRC, these blackout rules date back to the merger in 1967 - part of the anti-trust agreement that allowed the NFL to merge with the AFL.

#18 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Perfect example - I live 90 miles from Ravens Stadium. I'm in the Philly DMA.
I live in Chester County, which is within 75 miles of the stadium at its closest point. Therefore, Ravens games are blacked out here when not sold out.

IIRC, these blackout rules date back to the merger in 1967 - part of the anti-trust agreement that allowed the NFL to merge with the AFL.

Ravens games have been blacked out for attendance reasons?

#19 ONLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Did they move Orlando to the coast? I nned to know as I'm flying in on Saturday.:grin:

#20 ONLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thats OK, I live in Erie, Pa. 90 miles from Buffalo, 90 from Pittsburgh, and about 100 to Cleveland..So who do I follow in football...

"The Green Bay Packers" :D

Go Pack

Well, that's better than Cleveland.:D

spam firewall