Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tampa Bay Bucs Coming Blackouts/Locals-NFLST

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Did they move Orlando to the coast? I nned to know as I'm flying in on Saturday.:grin:

It's next to St Louis now. :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thats OK, I live in Erie, Pa. 90 miles from Buffalo, 90 from Pittsburgh, and about 100 to Cleveland..So who do I follow in football...

"The Green Bay Packers" :D

Go Pack

im in the same boat, from Erie, Pa! and root for the Bears

#23 OFFLINE   paulsonj72

paulsonj72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts
  • LocationExtreme West-Central MN

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

Perfect example - I live 90 miles from Ravens Stadium. I'm in the Philly DMA.
I live in Chester County, which is within 75 miles of the stadium at its closest point. Therefore, Ravens games are blacked out here when not sold out.

IIRC, these blackout rules date back to the merger in 1967 - part of the anti-trust agreement that allowed the NFL to merge with the AFL.

Actually the current black out rules for the NFL came about as a result of a law passed in Congress in 1973 mandating the 72 period. Prior to that time there were NO home games televised into a teams home market. A legend(and it mkay be true) was that President Nixon(and members of congress ) were(or had become) fans of the Redskins and wanted to see the games on Sunday but were unable to do so due to blackout rules then in place. So as a result this specific piece of legislation passedc in near record time and was signed into law by President Nixon. FWIW the blackouts prior to this law going into effect also included the Super Bowl(although the last Super Bowl prior to the law being passed) had the blackout lifted.

#24 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Part of the signal reaches to within 75 miles of the stadium you mean. That's the rule. Not that it reaches Tampa Bay. Just like Jacksonville with their blackout radius. Orlando and Jacksonville proper you can't even make a case for them being within 75 miles of each other or either market picking up the others signal. However, Orlando's signal penetrates the 75 mile barrier therefore they are blacked out there too.

I know South of Tampa the nearest you can go is Naples/Ft Myers. North, due to signal penetration it is probably when you pick up Jacksonville channels.

I live just south of Jacksonville. Back in the old days of analog tv, when these rules were written, I used to be able to pick up Orlando and Tampa TV stations with an amplified indoor antenna. Early in the mornings, I used to be able to pick up stations from Ft. Myers.

spam firewall