Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper Triangles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

This is strange. Two weeks ago, I had two Hoppers installed. One of the Hoppers is on a 37" Vizio that is 4 or 5 years old. A day or two after the install, I noticed a small dark triangle at the bottom of the screen off to one side. I thought this was the first sign of my tv going out.

In the next day or two, other triangles showed up, same size and on the same horizontal line as the first. There have been as many as 5 at a time. But these are not present when I watch Netflix or the bluray player.

I spoke with a Dish tech this past Saturday night. He had me do a hard reboot. When the system came back up, the triangles were gone. After a while, though, they started reappearing. I called Dish again on Sunday, and the tech said she had never heard of this issue, and is sending a service tech this Wednesday.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Edited by dishwater, 11 June 2012 - 10:30 AM.
correct spelling

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

Please send me a PM with your phone or account number. Also if you could include the model number of your TV and the type of connection you are using between the receiver and the TV I would appreciate it!

#3 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Ok, I've figured out what is causing the triangles! These are the point of the cursor arrow on the guide.

When the guide is up, and I scroll to the bottom and click on a program with the cursor arrow, the arrow point, or triangle, is left imprinted on the screen at that location. It only happens if I click on the last row of programs in the guide. It will not happen in any level above that.

I can get rid of the arrow points, or triangles, by going to Settings - Format TV - Screen Adjustment, and make a change. Then if I go to the guide again, and scroll to the bottom and click, the triangles are back! How about that?

RaymondG with DIRT suggested I change the cursor to the "invisible" setting. I did that, and now no more triangles.

So now, I know what it was doing, but not why it was doing it.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

If you could add a picture of the part of TV screen ...

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

You know... I wondered if it had anything to do with the pointer, but thought it might have been stupid to ask... now I wish I had!

I leave my 922 cursor visible (as opposed to invisible) and I've never seen this problem... so they must have introduced something new when moving the code over to the Hopper.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Turn the cursor off. Problem solved. When you turn it off all the menus, guide etc work just like the older Dish receivers by highlighting the current option. I had turned it off on the 922 a few months after I got it and turned off on the Hopper and Joeys when I first stated setting them up.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#7 ONLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Though I have never personally seen this issue on any of my Hoppers, I have seen reports of this "rogue cursor fragment" from users since launch.

As for turning off the cursor, I like the cursor. Also, there are one or two instances on the Hopper (can't remember at the moment exactly where) where one cannot see what's currently selected as it's not highlighted and only the cursor would be pointing at the selection.

spam firewall