Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 second skip deactivated for some commecials-again

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'll say again, this is not so e sort of conspiracy designed to force you to watch ads. It's a simple fact that this undocumented, unsupported feature is not tested when new software comes out. Period.

30-second slip still works fine, as does FF.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'll say again, this is not some sort of conspiracy designed to force you to watch ads. It's a simple fact that this undocumented, unsupported feature is not tested when new software comes out. Period.

Are you suggesting I should takeoff my tinfoil hat?
A.K.A VOS

#83 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Then why don't we see this on all channels when using 30s skip?

Probably has to do with the iframe or pframe the skip starts on?
Now that's the extent of what I know about how video is recorded. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#84 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

The slip or skip would be great if it could be adjusted to something other than 30 seconds.
Since most of the batches of commercials are about 5 minutes long it takes 10 presses of the button to get over the commercials. I use the FF3 speed and zip right by them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#85 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Then why don't we see this on all channels when using 30s skip?

Probably has to do with....

The locally inserted commercials. DirecTV buys the time, but then adds their own locally targets in the DVR. This local insertion is what is having problems with the 30skip.
A.K.A VOS

#86 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

I haven't had this issue on any of my DVRs. I guess I don't live in an area that uses local insertion ads.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#87 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

I haven't had this issue on any of my DVRs. I guess I don't live in an area that uses local insertion ads.

I believe they are still testing it and only in selected markets.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#88 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

I doubt that the 30s skip "problem" is a bug. DirecTV is disabling it on purpose, in order to get you to view it.

That is what it seems like, some marketing guru has decided to piss off current subscribers who use DVRs to buffer or record to rub in the new deals they are offering new subscribers or movers. :D

Looks like will just use 30sllip for sports and 30skip for everything else. Easy nuff to do with "recent searches" of "smart search" until next update.

#89 OFFLINE   nickff

nickff

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'll say again, this is not so e sort of conspiracy designed to force you to watch ads. It's a simple fact that this undocumented, unsupported feature is not tested when new software comes out. Period.

How does something like this appear after months of use on a NR? Shouldn't it be acting up from the get-go?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

Pioneer 141FD, Sony 52XBR3, LG 50" something-or-other
Denon 4311, Denon 2112
HR44, HR24, C41
SWM

#90 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

How does something like this appear after months of use on a NR? Shouldn't it be acting up from the get-go?

It'd be musch easier to track that if folks would cite what program, station number, time, and their location if not in their profile and visible.

[I don't see it as I always FF 3x through commercial blocks, 30SKIP for FB games, but I'd test if given specifics.]
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#91 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

The locally inserted commercials. DirecTV buys the time, but then adds their own locally targets in the DVR. This local insertion is what is having problems with the 30skip.

Thanks, that sound like a reasonable explanation of the problem. I'll try to keep track of when it happens. Most recently, I've noticed it with DirecTV ads on TNT.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#92 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

DirecTV buys the time??

I think it's like cable where at the same times they put local ad's in.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#93 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

DirecTV buys the time??

I think it's like cable where at the same times they put local ad's in.

You may be more accurate.
It doesn't really change that DirecTV ads are being replaced in the DVR with more locally targeted ads though.
A.K.A VOS

#94 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Your region may just now be getting the local insertions from DIRECTV.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#95 OFFLINE   jtudor

jtudor

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

My problem with the locally inserted commercials is that they are 3 db or more louder than the rest of the programming, and I have to grab the remote everytime one comes on.

(2) HR24-500 (originally HR21-700, then HR22-100)
(1) LG 42PC3 Plasma
(1) Bose Lifestyle V-35
(1) HR22-100
(1) LG 32LD350 LCD
(1) LG 32LK450 LCD
WH DVR and SWim.
Great Stuff DTV!

#96 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

It'd be musch easier to track that if folks would cite what program, station number, time, and their location if not in their profile and visible.

[I don't see it as I always FF 3x through commercial blocks, 30SKIP for FB games, but I'd test if given specifics.]

Good nuff, last night they were all over the ESPN broadcast of the Ga Tech game and were the D* ads that has a partnership on screen with CenturyStink. My spots come from Ft Wayne, IN. (Guess I should update my location since now in frozen north, not sunny south any more.)

Also using HR 24 DVRs with latest NR on them.

#97 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Finally happened to me watching History Channel last night, 30 sec. slip would not work through Directv ad. Like originally posted, it appears to "slip" but just starts at the begining of the DTV ad. I thought something was wrong with my HR24, then I remembered this post! FF worked fine.

#98 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

So you were trying to slip and not skip?

#99 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Just had one watching MNF at about 1 hour in. It was a Jack In the Box commercial. It wouldn't skip. FF through.

What was weird was that after FF through, stopped at the next commercial (Joe Thiesman talking about his bathroom issues). Hit skip and it jumped back to the Jack In the Box commercial.

#100 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Just had one watching MNF at about 1 hour in. It was a Jack In the Box commercial. It wouldn't skip. FF through.

What was weird was that after FF through, stopped at the next commercial (Joe Thiesman talking about his bathroom issues). Hit skip and it jumped back to the Jack In the Box commercial.

This just gets better and better. Was watching SportsCenter on ESPN @ 6 last nite (EDST) and D* had a slew of ads on it that didn't appear to be local ones (no inserts for CenturyStink as the usual culprits have been) and as usual the 30skip didn't work and NEITHER did FF. If I attempted to skip or FF, it went back to beginning of ad! WTH? Was watching buffered about 5 minutes, so only way around the ads was to change channels and then come right back to ESPN as the ad was no longer showing.

The truly ironic part of this whole frustrating thing was the ad that was really flaky with this (and made me finally do the channel change thing) was the one about refer your friends and family. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...