Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV sitting on TV commercial technology

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

I hate commercials as much as the next guy but if this is going to SLOW down the HD-DVR's even more or cause significant rate increases than I'd rather not have it.
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,162 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I find it difficult to believe DirecTV bought this technology to sit on a shelf.

IIRC they purchased the Replay patents to help prevent lawsuits against them for their DVR software. It was all the patents, not just the commercial skipping that was purchased.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#28 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

I hate commercials as much as the next guy but if this is going to SLOW down the HD-DVR's even more or cause significant rate increases than I'd rather not have it.

Same here, I'm fine with hitting the 30 second skip, a few times.:)

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up.

#29 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

The popularity of DVR's attest to the desire to skip commercials. I would assume that DVR owners given a questionaire about what they like the most about their DVR would rate commercial skipping #1 and time-shifting #2.

The networks have noticed and are not pleased. I've actually seen ads for upcoming movies RIGHT ON TOP OF PROGRAMMING on some NBC reruns. Not movies to be shown on NBC but new THEATRICAL releases. And other clever ways of making customers watch commercials are being employed. For example, on "Hawaii Five-O" on CBS, all of the vehicles are Chevrolet and they even have a 10-second blurb advising you of the fact in case you didn't notice.

The "30 slip" feature does give you a glimpse of the commercials and more than once have I stopped the DVR and played an interesting commercial in it's entirety. But the DISH network commercial skipper gives the viewer no clue about the commercials which is why advertisers and networks are furious.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#30 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

The idea consumer demand hasn't been there is misleading in my view. Was America breaking the doors on providers down for TIVO, PVR, and DVRs before they existed or knew anything about it? I wasn't. Had I never heard of them or had one I'd still be fine using a VCR or DVD Recorder. Was everyone wanting their iPod and phone combined and demanding it? No. It's only when technology is implemented people want it for its advantages. I also don't believe the commercial skipping while a nice feature I guess is ever going to be something I MUST HAVE OR ELSE! I can fast forward through them like I have been. No biggie.

#31 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 852 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

The popularity of DVR's attest to the desire to skip commercials. I would assume that DVR owners given a questionaire about what they like the most about their DVR would rate commercial skipping #1 and time-shifting #2.

The networks have noticed and are not pleased. I've actually seen ads for upcoming movies RIGHT ON TOP OF PROGRAMMING on some NBC reruns. Not movies to be shown on NBC but new THEATRICAL releases. And other clever ways of making customers watch commercials are being employed. For example, on "Hawaii Five-O" on CBS, all of the vehicles are Chevrolet and they even have a 10-second blurb advising you of the fact in case you didn't notice.

The "30 slip" feature does give you a glimpse of the commercials and more than once have I stopped the DVR and played an interesting commercial in it's entirety. But the DISH network commercial skipper gives the viewer no clue about the commercials which is why advertisers and networks are furious.

I believe #1 is time shifting is the most important for most people. #2 commercial skipping is just a added benefit. Id still have a dvr if I couldn't fast forward commercials. Would I enjoy it as much no.

#32 ONLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

I've actually seen ads for upcoming movies RIGHT ON TOP OF PROGRAMMING on some NBC reruns. Not movies to be shown on NBC but new THEATRICAL releases.

That's been going on for a while on NBC (over a year). The movies advertised have all been Universal releases. Corporate synergy!
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#33 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I believe #1 is time shifting is the most important for most people. #2 commercial skipping is just a added benefit. Id still have a dvr if I couldn't fast forward commercials. Would I enjoy it as much no.

I have to agree. Commercial skipping was a nice fringe benefit, but time shifting freed me from the yoke of TV networks.

I don't even watch TV during primetime anymore, no other technology has changed my life to the extent that DVR's time-shifting has. (I didn't do it very often with VCR's cause it was't worth the hassle and degradation of what was an already terrible cable signal/picture).

#34 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

+1

I wouldn't presume to speak for "most people", but it definitely applies to me.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#35 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

I believe #1 is time shifting is the most important for most people. ......

Time shifting is not that important to me. Skipping one or more commercials is more important to me.

So I must not be part of the group of "most people". :)

#36 OFFLINE   Sward81333

Sward81333

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

I believe that advertising pays for a lot more than the average person thinks. If every viewer in the universe stopped watching commercials, advertisers would stop advertising and networks and cable stations would go belly-up without revenue. If you think cable/satellite/telco fees are bad now, guess what they might be to make up for lost advertising revenue.
Commercials are here to stay. Some of them are even better than the programs they support. Commercials are such a minor annoyance. They pay for what you want to watch.

#37 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Same here, I'm fine with hitting the 30 second skip, a few times.:)

Fast Forward x4 > 30 second skip

#38 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

CUTTING EDGE

• Super Moderators
  • 9,393 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

Shows that I watch on a regular basis I know exactly how many times to hit the 30skip and not miss a thing. The cool thing is the receivers are fast enough that when I hit the 30skip 6-10x I never see any of the ads.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#39 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

Shows that I watch on a regular basis I know exactly how many times to hit the 30skip and not miss a thing. The cool thing is the receivers are fast enough that when I hit the 30skip 6-10x I never see any of the ads.

+1

but at the same time I do occasionally watch an ad if it interests me... Or will let them run when someone needs to have a break

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#40 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

I believe that advertising pays for a lot more than the average person thinks. If every viewer in the universe stopped watching commercials, advertisers would stop advertising and networks and cable stations would go belly-up without revenue. If you think cable/satellite/telco fees are bad now, guess what they might be to make up for lost advertising revenue.
Commercials are here to stay. Some of them are even better than the programs they support. Commercials are such a minor annoyance. They pay for what you want to watch.

Or maybe actors wouldn't get $500k per episode or sports stars wouldn't get $20M per year any longer. I would feel so bad for them :nono2:
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#41 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Time shifting is not that important to me. Skipping one or more commercials is more important to me.

So I must not be part of the group of "most people". :)

But you wouldn't be able to skip commercials if you were watching live TV. It's the time shifting that enables the commercial skipping! :)
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#42 OFFLINE   Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

As I recall, there were VHS VCRs that had "commercial skip". The VCR would automatically fast forward through commercials.

#43 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 852 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

But you wouldn't be able to skip commercials if you were watching live TV. It's the time shifting that enables the commercial skipping! :)

+1 exactly

Protected By... spam firewall...And...