Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR-34 with AM21 observation

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

So what is preventing a software update to the HR24 to allow the AM21 to scan?

That question has already been asked here. The consensus was that it would be too expensive to rewrite the code for the few people that would care about or actually use it. I would like to see it myself. There are a few local subchannels here that Directv doesn't have in the database.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

That doesn't say the HR34 isn't supported. It says "models HR21 and above" and an HR34 is clearly above an HR21. Not to mention "DIRECTV Home Media Center" is the HR34.

And I did not say the HR34 is not supported.

I posted the information to dispel any misunderstanding.

#23 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,180 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

That question has already been asked here. The consensus was that it would be too expensive to rewrite the code for the few people that would care about or actually use it. I would like to see it myself. There are a few local subchannels here that Directv doesn't have in the database.

Looks like they did re-write the code, tho, for the HR34. Who knows, maybe they'll plug it into the Hx2x code at some point in the future. :shrug:
/steve

#24 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Looks like they did re-write the code, tho, for the HR34. Who knows, maybe they'll plug it into the Hx2x code at some point in the future. :shrug:

Maybe since they had to write it anyway they decided to include scanning ability in the HR34. It would be nice to see it in the other HR models.

#25 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,035 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

2) OTA channels I now get all channels that are available, which was not available with the HR-24, some of the channels that are display on the guide shows "regular programming" , no channel info.

This has been my biggest complaint since the HR34 was released. We have a number of digital sub-channels within the Atlanta area which have "Regular Programming" as their description.
At least with my system, I have not been able to do a manual record on these channels either. I can tun to the channels without a problem but forget recording anything where "Regular Programming" is listed as the program description 24/7

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

And I did not say the HR34 is not supported.

I posted the information to dispel any misunderstanding.

Your reply was to someone asking where it said it was not supported. Your post appeared to be telling him where it said it was not supported.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Your reply was to someone asking where it said it was not supported. Your post appeared to be telling him where it said it was not supported.

The section of the AM21 manual that I quoted clearly states the the AM21 is compatible with the HR34.

Again, I did NOT say or insinuate that the AM21 is not compatible with the HR34.

It APPEARS that you are looking for an argument; if so, look somewhere else.

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

The section of the AM21 manual that I quoted clearly states the the AM21 is compatible with the HR34.

Again, I did NOT say or insinuate that the AM21 is not compatible with the HR34.

It APPEARS that you are looking for an argument; if so, look somewhere else.

Dude, relax. I was just trying to explain how your post gave me the impression you were saying the HR34 wasn't supported.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

This has been my biggest complaint since the HR34 was released. We have a number of digital sub-channels within the Atlanta area which have "Regular Programming" as their description.
At least with my system, I have not been able to do a manual record on these channels either. I can tun to the channels without a problem but forget recording anything where "Regular Programming" is listed as the program description 24/7

Just made a test manual recording on one of my HR34's scanned OTA sub-channels.

Appears to have recorded it normally. :confused:

Oh well ... chalk it up to another of the HR34's bugs manifesting itself in these different crazy ways if at all.

For instance mines just inexplicably canceled a SL recording with the explanation in the History listed for it as;

"This episode was canceled because it did not match your show type settings or the program has already been recorded."
(13/6/Adam-12 episode type: 2 cid: 1 1 71 3F)

None of those reasons are true of course.

Weird ...

#30 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Just made a test manual recording on one of my HR34's scanned OTA sub-channels.

Appears to have recorded it normally. :confused:

Oh well ... chalk it up to another of the HR34's bugs manifesting itself in these different crazy ways if at all.

For instance mines just inexplicably canceled a SL recording with the explanation in the History listed for it as;

None of those reasons are true of course.

Weird ...

Was the recording of a subchannel with guide info? Apparently the non-recording issue is with those that don't have the info.

#31 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,786 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Was the recording of a subchannel with guide info? Apparently the non-recording issue is with those that don't have the info.

I just tried it on a HR34/AM21 on a subchannel that has no guide data, just "Regular Schedule" and it recorded and played just fine.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#32 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

It was one of the OTA sub-channels without guide info. Local KTLA's 5-3 "This TV." Has just a continuous block labeled "Regular Schedule."

Made a 30 min. manual recording on it. Plays fine.

#33 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Let us know what you find out.

To all, Why is Directv saying that the AM21 and/or AM21N is not supported on the HR34? What makes it so hard on having existing external hardware , that they sell, be supported for all receivers? I think someone in charge for QA and Design phase on new products needs to be fired.

I think there are a large number of people both in R&D and customer service that desperately need to be fired. Atrocious equipment and customer service. Dish Network receivers from a few years ago are still running circles around the HR34 in terms of speed. DirecTV needs to pull head out of butt and get with the program in terms of REAL equipment advances. The HR34 isn't that much faster than the HR21, it just has some more bells and whistles, a bigger hard drive and a couple extra tuners. Sad state of affairs.

#34 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

I am in metro atlanta as well. I have both an hr20-700 and hr24-200/am-21 combo. I really do wish they would allow OTA scanning on these boxes. I cannot get 11-2 for example which is the full time weather and radar. Directv thinks its 11-3 which no longer exists. So frustrating. Just let us scan plz!

#35 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Good afternoon all,

I just had a am21n (I'm presuming, just got it from solid signal) delivered. Set everything up as directed. Scanning feature came up (on a hr34) and proceeded to state it completed its job.

However, afterwards I am unable to locate any of the stations in the guide. If I go back to setup, the option "Edit off-air channels" is greyed out, so I cannot select it.

Would this suggest that the channels were not scanned properly, or ??? I have tried "reset settings" then doing "initial setup" twice now, and nothing changes. I also have tried moving my antenna around, and still the same thing.

Suggestions please?

Thank you

#36 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Good afternoon all,

I just had a am21n (I'm presuming, just got it from solid signal) delivered. Set everything up as directed. Scanning feature came up (on a hr34) and proceeded to state it completed its job.

However, afterwards I am unable to locate any of the stations in the guide. If I go back to setup, the option "Edit off-air channels" is greyed out, so I cannot select it.

Would this suggest that the channels were not scanned properly, or ??? I have tried "reset settings" then doing "initial setup" twice now, and nothing changes. I also have tried moving my antenna around, and still the same thing.

Suggestions please?

Thank you

You didn't state whether or not that you'd tried unplugging the AM21 from the power outlet and then plugging it back in or not.
Try it if you haven't done it, it's fixed a similar problem for me twice in the recent past.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#37 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes sir Dettxw I did. I've tried plugging the hr34 into the back of the am21 and separately. I've tried plugging in the am21 twice, and the same thing has happened.

I would think the channels would at least populate immediately. :sigh: Maybe I got a bad one.

#38 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yes sir Dettxw I did. I've tried plugging the hr34 into the back of the am21 and separately. I've tried plugging in the am21 twice, and the same thing has happened.

I would think the channels would at least populate immediately. :sigh: Maybe I got a bad one.

AM21N USB to HR34, or AM21N power cord?
If cycling power to the AM21 via it's power cord doesn't do it, then next I'd try unplugging both the HR34 and the AM21 to see what happens (and of course making sure that there is a good USB connection between the units, maybe even trying another cord).
Not sure what else to try as when I've had this problem before it was always a power cycle to the AM21 that fixed it.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#39 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

AM21N USB to HR34, or AM21N power cord?
If cycling power to the AM21 via it's power cord doesn't do it, then next I'd try unplugging both the HR34 and the AM21 to see what happens (and of course making sure that there is a good USB connection between the units, maybe even trying another cord).
Not sure what else to try as when I've had this problem before it was always a power cycle to the AM21 that fixed it.

Currently I have the hr34 power plugged into the Am21 as directed in the manual.

Think I'll go back to the hr34 plugged in separately, then reconnect the USB, and cycle both systems again. :sigh: lol :nono:

#40 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

It doesn't matter where the power comes from.

When you scanned for channels did you enter a primary zip code and then a secondary one?

BTW, this is the second such post I've read in a week on new AM21's not getting channels. I wonder if there's a problem out there.

spam firewall