Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR-34 with AM21 observation

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

NR4P,

The 4th time I rebooted everything I did a primary and secondary. I think my problem was my connection to the antenna was a little loose. Not sure when that happened, but my own fault for not checking the basics.

But, now everything is working fine. I'm getting the channels I want OTA, so happy :)

Edited by Riverpilot, 21 August 2012 - 01:48 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

The issue with the HR34 is if there is no signal of an OTA channel it wont log it (even if you plug in the zip)

I have a secondary market that requires a separate antenna. If I dont plug that antenna into the AM21 it wont log those channels even though the stations are in the database.

This actually works better (IMO) than the database thing. With my market being huge there are stations in the database that I'll never get OTA (they're about 100 miles away). The HR34 doesnt even show those but the HR24 will show them

#43 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

NR4P, ...

But, not everything is working fine. I'm getting the channels I want OTA, so happy :)

At first I was confused by this part of the TS' statement, until I realized the "t" in "not" was obviously a typo for a "w" in "now" :D

#44 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

The issue with the HR34 is if there is no signal of an OTA channel it wont log it (even if you plug in the zip)

I have a secondary market that requires a separate antenna. If I dont plug that antenna into the AM21 it wont log those channels even though the stations are in the database.

This actually works better (IMO) than the database thing. With my market being huge there are stations in the database that I'll never get OTA (they're about 100 miles away). The HR34 doesnt even show those but the HR24 will show them

Yeah ...

Would be better if in addition to OTA scans the HR34 could substitute PSIP data from the off-air signal into the guide whenever its not included in the database downloaded from the satellite instead of just offering a continuous block titled "Regular Programming." :rolleyes:

But for sure, I'm not about to complain given DIRECTV's stubbornness to make almost any improvements in this area, we're very lucky to at least get this feature on the HR34.

#45 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

For those of us in locations where we can receive multiple markets, it works worse since any turn of the antenna to pick up one market might delete some of the channels from another market.

Also, I personally like having the ability to see a couple of stations in my market that I can't receive.

~Alan

#46 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

NR4P,

The 4th time I rebooted everything I did a primary and secondary. I think my problem was my connection to the antenna was a little loose. Not sure when that happened, but my own fault for not checking the basics.

But, not everything is working fine. I'm getting the channels I want OTA, so happy :)

I always give each cable connection a little twist with a wrench/pliers just to make sure that they're tight.

Of course then I'll bitch when I have to go find tools to remove the cables! :lol:

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#47 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

At first I was confused by this part of the TS' statement, until I realized the "t" in "not" was obviously a typo for a "w" in "now" :D

oops :lol:

Everything working great for the 2nd day. I might try a different type of antenna in the future, to pick up a few more channels. But the 5 or 6 that I really wanted I'm getting so... who knows. :D

#48 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yeah ...

Would be better if in addition to OTA scans the HR34 could substitute PSIP data from the off-air signal into the guide whenever its not included in the database downloaded from the satellite instead of just offering a continuous block titled "Regular Programming." :rolleyes:

But for sure, I'm not about to complain given DIRECTV's stubbornness to make almost any improvements in this area, we're very lucky to at least get this feature on the HR34.

The thing is, I LOVE how my TiVo Series 3 works...

I enter in my zip code (my current zip code works with them, but my old one or a neighboring one has to be used with DirecTV to work), it brings up all the channels I should be able to receive at my location. Personally, this includes channels from five to six markets.

This ability might not be possible given DirecTV's statements on the matter, but my TiVo Series 3 works fine receiving the info via a broadband connection. DirecTV could give two options... one for those with a broadband connection, another for those without.

~Alan

#49 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

The thing is, I LOVE how my TiVo Series 3 works...

I enter in my zip code (my current zip code works with them, but my old one or a neighboring one has to be used with DirecTV to work), it brings up all the channels I should be able to receive at my location. Personally, this includes channels from five to six markets.

This ability might not be possible given DirecTV's statements on the matter, but my TiVo Series 3 works fine receiving the info via a broadband connection. DirecTV could give two options... one for those with a broadband connection, another for those without.

~Alan

When I had a TiVo it didn't give just the channels I should be able to receive. It have channels another market over or two. I live west of Baltimore and reasonably even with a good antenna would get Baltimore, Washington and maybe some south central Pennsylvania. But that would be a very good antenna. My TiVo gave me as options Philadelphia stations. I don't think it is being smart about your market as much as they do a much wider area for any market.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#50 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

For those of us in locations where we can receive multiple markets, it works worse since any turn of the antenna to pick up one market might delete some of the channels from another market.

Also, I personally like having the ability to see a couple of stations in my market that I can't receive.

~Alan

I'm pretty fortunate in that respect. I'm about halfway between Tampa and Orlando (Winter Haven) and they are nearly 180 degrees off from one another from where I sit. My antenna is pointed at the Tampa antenna farm but since the Orlando transmitters are for the most part directly "behind" my antenna I get a good signal on the vast majority of those as well without having to rotate my antenna.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#51 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

When I had a TiVo it didn't give just the channels I should be able to receive. It have channels another market over or two. I live west of Baltimore and reasonably even with a good antenna would get Baltimore, Washington and maybe some south central Pennsylvania. But that would be a very good antenna. My TiVo gave me as options Philadelphia stations. I don't think it is being smart about your market as much as they do a much wider area for any market.

TiVo used the Zap2it.com (Tribune) lineup for my zip code, and perhaps I should have clarified further...

Most every channel it offered me were channels I have received at one time or another. Only some of them were reliable enough to actually add to my guide though. If I had a 30 or 45 foot antenna, I might be able to receive most of them... heck, I might even be able to receive all of them... that is until the antenna gets struck by lightning. ;)

The important thing is that it offers me guide data for ALL the channels that I can pick up reliably, and some that I can pick up sporadically... some REALLY sporadically. However, I'd much rather un-check channels with guide data from my channel list that I can't receive, than not have the guide data on a ton of channels channels that I can receive.

So... I'd love it if DirecTV went by that model... and if they couldn't via satellite, than maybe via broadband.

~Alan

#52 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

~Alan

I'm planning to upgrade to the HR34 when the C31 client boxes come out (to be able to send OTA to the remote tv's), but the different way the HR34/AM21N combination scans and auto-deletes is going to be worse for me as well. I have receivable stations in 4 different directions, but they won't all come in with the antenna aimed in any single direction. Rather disappointing that they added the auto-delete function but didn't include additive scanning capability (that retains stations from previous scans) for those with antennas on rotators. With college/NFL football season approaching, it would have been nice to check the on-screen guide to see what different games are on in adjacent cities before rotating the antenna.

#53 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm planning to upgrade to the HR34 when the C31 client boxes come out (to be able to send OTA to the remote tv's), but the different way the HR34/AM21N combination scans and auto-deletes is going to be worse for me as well. I have receivable stations in 4 different directions, but they won't all come in with the antenna aimed in any single direction. Rather disappointing that they added the auto-delete function but didn't include additive scanning capability (that retains stations from previous scans) for those with antennas on rotators. With college/NFL football season approaching, it would have been nice to check the on-screen guide to see what different games are on in adjacent cities before rotating the antenna.

You could always try using antennas pointed in different directions and combining them. Hopefully you wouldn't have any reflection/multipath problems.

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#54 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

You could always try using antennas pointed in different directions and combining them. Hopefully you wouldn't have any reflection/multipath problems.

I think that will be the best plan, when the time comes. I already have an A/B switch at my main tv to switch between my (local) attic antenna and outside (distant) rotatable antenna, and have been thinking about temporarily combining them during a scan (even though multipath would probably scramble many of the broadcasts), perhaps late on a favorable reception night, to hopefully at least detect half or two-thirds of my available OTA stations into memory.

#55 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I think that will be the best plan, when the time comes. I already have an A/B switch at my main tv to switch between my (local) attic antenna and outside (distant) rotatable antenna, and have been thinking about temporarily combining them during a scan (even though multipath would probably scramble many of the broadcasts), perhaps late on a favorable reception night, to hopefully at least detect half or two-thirds of my available OTA stations into memory.

So are you trying to get Toledo stations or are you located so that Windsor is in a different direction than the Detroit transmitters?

#56 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

So are you trying to get Toledo stations or are you located so that Windsor is in a different direction than the Detroit transmitters?

Both, actually (I'm in the northern Detroit burbs). With the outside antenna aimed to the SE, I get 4 stations from Windsor/Leamington, Ontario plus 3-6 more from Cleveland late some evenings. To the SSW, the local Detroit towers are exactly in line with Toledo (4 stations). One station comes in from Lansing about due west, and 5 stations from Saginaw/Bay City to the NW. When conditions are especially favorable on certain evenings, a number of additional stations beyond these come in as well.

#57 OFFLINE   Annihilator31

Annihilator31

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

It's the HR34 that determines if an AM21/AM21N does the scanning, not the AM21/AM21N. I was an early tested for the HR34 and I tested both the AM21 and AM21N for scanning and both do it.

Just got my HR34 today, hooked up my AM21 and it doesn't scan for OTA channels. It functions like all my past DVR's by entering zip codes. Is there a way to fix this?
HR20-700 on a Sony XBR Tv
HR24-500 & AM21 on a Sony SXRD Tv
Harmon Kardon AVR-354 Receiver &
Harmon Kardon AVR-48 DVD Player
Viewsat MX-HD to a 120cm FTA motorized dish

PC: Dell XPS 730x 64bit, 12gb of RAM, Intel SSD

Nobody knows what it like for a tech except us tech's! btw Metal Rulez!

#58 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Just got my HR34 today, hooked up my AM21 and it doesn't scan for OTA channels. It functions like all my past DVR's by entering zip codes. Is there a way to fix this?

It's actually doing the scan when you enter your Zip Code. There is no separate option for the scan.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#59 OFFLINE   Annihilator31

Annihilator31

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

It's actually doing the scan when you enter your Zip Code. There is no separate option for the scan.

Ah Ha! Thank you!! Sadly when I scan for channels using my TV tuner i get 25 channels. When the the dtv system scans for channels, I only end up with 17. I wish the HR34 & AM21 would scan for channels in the same way my TV set does, or give the option of adding channels on our own.

Edited by Annihilator31, 23 August 2012 - 01:11 PM.

HR20-700 on a Sony XBR Tv
HR24-500 & AM21 on a Sony SXRD Tv
Harmon Kardon AVR-354 Receiver &
Harmon Kardon AVR-48 DVD Player
Viewsat MX-HD to a 120cm FTA motorized dish

PC: Dell XPS 730x 64bit, 12gb of RAM, Intel SSD

Nobody knows what it like for a tech except us tech's! btw Metal Rulez!

#60 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Ah Ha! Thank you!! Sadly when I scan for channels using my TV tuner i get 25 channels. When the the dtv system scans for channels, I only end up with 17. I wish the HR34 & AM21 would scan for channels in the same way my TV set does, or give the option of adding channels on our own.

Are you using the same antenna as you do for your tv tuner? And if you enter two zip codes that are nowhere near your location, does it still find the locally-receivable stations (albeit perhaps with no resulting guide data)?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...