Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Interesting comments on DirecTV and Retention

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

I was with Dish for Years..They never once offered to upgrade me, They just took the money..When I did go to upgrade, I had to do the research and request the upgrade. It took them 1 week to send out a tech..(All I was getting was a DVR)..As for their retention Dept, When I called to cancel they never said a word to get me to stay, never asked for their equipment back, and never sent me a final bill..(Their Loss)

I am happy with my present set-up, so I will keep it for awhile

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

To some it's "continually demanding discounts." To others it's questioning why a longtime member in good standing, with an impeccable payment record, doesn't deserve the same consideration as a new, untested, member, who gets the tops in equipment and services, if not programming, just for signing up.

Sometimes its a "Loss Leader" They get you in the door with an outstanding price-then you stay and purchase more and more.. Its really a good marketing technique

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Most of the time you don't even have to ask for discounts on programming at least. I've never asked for any, but every time I shuffle premiums around a bit, they always offer something. Most often it is a discount on the premiums I'm dropping. Just like yesterday, since Starz doesn't have anything of interest right now and Cinemax is in the same boat, I wanted to drop them. They offered them at a discount, which I declined since I wasn't watching them anyway.

So you don't have to 'demand' discounts to get them. But frankly what they will do for upgrades and such is really a crap shoot.

I'm not saying there aren't offers. There are also people here that feel their entitled to a discount every couple of months and call to demand one. Those are the people they aren't likely to make a profit on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

To some it's "continually demanding discounts." To others it's questioning why a longtime member in good standing, with an impeccable payment record, doesn't deserve the same consideration as a new, untested, member, who gets the tops in equipment and services, if not programming, just for signing up.

Does your utility bill go down after you've been a customer of theirs after X amount of time? Does your car payment go down after X amount of time? Does your mortgage payment go down after X amount of time? Does your rent go down after X amount of time? Do any of them give discounts for being a customer for X amount of time? Why would you expect DirecTV to do that?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Sometimes its a "Loss Leader" They get you in the door with an outstanding price-then you stay and purchase more and more.. Its really a good marketing technique

It's "Marketing 101" actually. Everyone offers new customers a better deal than existing customers to get them to become a customer. It's the way the world works.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Does your utility bill go down after you've been a customer of theirs after X amount of time? Does your car payment go down after X amount of time? Does your mortgage payment go down after X amount of time? Does your rent go down after X amount of time? Do any of them give discounts for being a customer for X amount of time? Why would you expect DirecTV to do that?

Really simple. Because DirecTV has made it a nearly standard option for those that ask. None of the rest of those you mention will deal at all. DirecTV probably doesn't have a single day that they don't offer rebates, discounts and upgrade deals to many someones.

And since they make the rules, we can only excercise them now and again!

That's why!! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#27 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Just what makes you think you are a bottom end customer?

I would think they are talking about not throwing deals at people who have the absolute basic packages. $140 a month sounds pretty much middle of the road to me.

I thought I'd read here on the board (maybe in one of the quarterly reports threads) that the average customer bill was around $95/month. If so, $140/month would be more on the high end.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#28 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Much more bargaining power with direcTv (or any other pay tv) compared to your list. But some of those items, I'm sure you can ask for a discount.

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,706 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Comparing the offers I have recently received when inquiring about upgrading to an HR34 with those reported here.

Could be you just don't play the game all that well either. A lot of getting great offers Is gamesmanship.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Really simple. Because DirecTV has made it a nearly standard option for those that ask. None of the rest of those you mention will deal at all. DirecTV probably doesn't have a single day that they don't offer rebates, discounts and upgrade deals to many someones.

And since they make the rules, we can only excercise them now and again!

That's why!! :)

Again, I'm not saying there aren't offers... If you re-read my original post I was pointing out that there are customers who demand discounts they probably aren't entitled to and those are the ones DirecTV is probably referring to as customers where there's no profit to be made.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Much more bargaining power with direcTv (or any other pay tv) compared to your list. But some of those items, I'm sure you can ask for a discount.

Yeah, you call your power company and ask for a discount and see how far you get.. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#32 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

In Illinois we may now select from a number of different electric providers which have lower electric rates than the main utility (Exelon). You pay Exelon for the infrastructure and maintenance but the actual electric usage is at a much lower rate from a third party.

#33 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Does your utility bill go down after you've been a customer of theirs after X amount of time? Does your car payment go down after X amount of time? Does your mortgage payment go down after X amount of time? Does your rent go down after X amount of time? Do any of them give discounts for being a customer for X amount of time?

No.

And none of those give new customers special rates or considerations either.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#34 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

It's the Pareto Principle or 80/20 rule in motion.

Pareto Principle (when related to business) states that roughly 80% of your profit comes from 20% of you customers, while 80% of complaints also come from 20% of your customers.

So it makes sense for D* to ignore the bottom ~20% who are eating up ~80% of their retention resources.

http://en.wikipedia....areto_principle

Edited by Darcaine, 13 June 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

In Illinois we may now select from a number of different electric providers which have lower electric rates than the main utility (Exelon). You pay Exelon for the infrastructure and maintenance but the actual electric usage is at a much lower rate from a third party.

I'd love that. We have absolutely no choice of who provides our power down here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#36 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

No.

And none of those give new customers special rates or considerations either.

Some rentals do. You can also get an introductory interest rate on a car and a house as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#37 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Does your mortgage payment go down after X amount of time?

Uh yeah, after the escrow has been paid off, in my case 2013.

The difference between pay TV and the other things you cite is they are necessities and satellite/cable is a luxury. Also, I have other entertainment options. I may no longer be a high-end customer, but I pay on time and in full. Plus my departure would figure in churn, something every provider tries to avoid.

The fact that two years ago new customers were offered Free HD for Life struck a bad chord with folks who were with DirecTV for a decade or more and had paid for HD access when it was still a "bakers dozen" count of channels. Part of the reason I dropped below Choice was the $10/mo. HD Access fee. A key factor in choosing DirecTV over cable was that my bill was for programming, not extras. I was being charged $6/mo. for a cable box plus 25 cents for the remote with TWC. :rolleyes: I paid DirecTV $199 in 2001 for Lifetime DVR on a D-TiVo. If DirecTV offered a similar option for Lifetime HD, say $80-$100, I'd consider it. But, the idea that folks who waited until there was a respectable amount of HD with better PQ and locals availability prior to signing with DirecTV having the fee waived I find rather irksome. In some ways satellite has become more like cable and vice versa.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#38 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

Could be you just don't play the game all that well either. A lot of getting great offers Is gamesmanship.

Do you define gamesmanship as the threat of cancellation whether real or as a negotiation ploy? If so, I shouldn't have to threaten to obtain their best offer and I won't go that far. If or when I do call in to cancel, the decision will have been made and there will be no negotiation.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#39 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

I'd love that. We have absolutely no choice of who provides our power down here.

Ditto...No choice for water,sewer,natural gas or electric here. TV provider on the other hand, now I have multiple choices. 25 years ago though there weren't any choices. You either had cable (a wopping 14 channels in my area!) or you listened to the radio for info. Really we have options now for our entertainment that we take for granted and because we have a few choices, we have the ability to play one against the other. IE: Trying to get a better deal on programming or equipment. I've done it myself, but try not to abuse it. I understand that in the end, a company has to be profitable.... Good discussion here.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#40 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,706 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Do you define gamesmanship as the threat of cancellation whether real or as a negotiation ploy? If so, I shouldn't have to threaten to obtain their best offer and I won't go that far. If or when I do call in to cancel, the decision will have been made and there will be no negotiation.

Yes, I do. I don't do it either.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...