Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Interesting comments on DirecTV and Retention

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Not apples to oranges at all. If there is a competitive environment the customer has the power to negotiate (and the company has the power to say no). It seems there is a mantra with some on here that it is somehow immoral to negotiate with D*, which IMO, is utterly ridiculous.

I've found you can just about negotiate everything, even prices in stores. I always ask, the worst thing they can say is "no".

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hey, just a little harsh there...
Remember, they have to answer phone calls all day long, probably in a room with no windows, and have people on the other end of the line,maybe like yourself, who always know how to do their job better. Not being a fanboy, just pointing out there are always 2 sides in a conversation.

And don't forget that shift slave driver sitting in the corner beating the drum and screaming "pull". ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#53 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Another example is Boost Mobile prepaid service. The monthlies go down, based on the length of time that you are a customer. Unlimited talk, text, web is $50 for the first 6 mo's, $45 for the next 6 mo's, $40 for the next 6 mo's and $35 for the as long as you are a customer.

This makes excellent sense. You price your service in such a way that it (presumably) remains cost-effective, even as you cut price for the consumer.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#54 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

It seems there is a mantra with some on here that it is somehow immoral to negotiate with D*, which IMO, is utterly ridiculous.

There also seems to be a misguided notion that Directv has lousy customer service if someone doesn't get the discount they want/deserve/need. Additional factors such as your location and the strength of the competitors in a market may also factor into any discount decisions.

#55 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Additional factors such as your location and the strength of the competitors in a market may also factor into any discount decisions.

Well, that could account for some of their hardheadedness in Des Moines. No FIOS or U-Verse here. And although Mediacom has added a number of HD channels -- including a number that DirecTV doesn't carry, such as BBCA, H2 and HLN -- the cableco is still not competitive on pricing for DVR service; doesn't carry anywhere near as many premiums in HD; sports packages; MLB, NHL or NBA nets; or alternative sports channels in HD. It also has a reputation for horrid customer service. In other words, there is no competition in Des Moines except for DISH.
-- Ira

"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,222 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Because DirecTV has competitors as other choices. The items you cite do not.

My electric company did send me a $10 Starbucks card...:D

You certainly have choices for mortgage and rent at least.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,222 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

So to answer your question, there are some providers that do go down after x amount of time.

But you know that getting into it. With DirecTV you know your price, period. Why expect it to go down, or get credits, when you know that's not the norm?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

But you know that getting into it. With DirecTV you know your price, period. Why expect it to go down, or get credits, when you know that's not the norm?

True, and personally I don't expect the price to go down, but I do hope to get credits. Those credits or equipment with no upfront cost, help reinforce my commitment to DIRECTV. And when asked about them by friends and colleagues, I say good things about how DIRECTV takes care of their good customers.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#59 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

There also seems to be a misguided notion that Directv has lousy customer service if someone doesn't get the discount they want/deserve/need. Additional factors such as your location and the strength of the competitors in a market may also factor into any discount decisions.

+1 - in my early years I ran a call center for a major service provider and the following pattern emerged when the numbers where run

person calls in get everything they want frm the rep = great, unmatched customer service

same person calls in again and does not get what they want = worst customer service in the world

#60 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

Not apples to oranges at all. If there is a competitive environment the customer has the power to negotiate (and the company has the power to say no). It seems there is a mantra with some on here that it is somehow immoral to negotiate with D*, which IMO, is utterly ridiculous.

What is utterly ridiculous is the entitlement mentality to always get a deal, always get some kind of discount, always get what is requested.

In addition, no company supports that (especially if they want to stay in business).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#61 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,173 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

What is utterly ridiculous is the entitlement mentality to always get a deal, always get some kind of discount, always get what is requested.

In addition, no company supports that (especially if they want to stay in business).

Exactly. Do the deal mongers barter with their other service providers (power, phone, heating fuel, ect.)? I doubt it.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#62 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

Exactly. Do the deal mongers barter with their other service providers (power, phone, heating fuel, etc.)? I doubt it.

Just to clarify...I like to get a deal just like most folks...but I don't expect it, demand it, or think one should be handed over arbitrarily. I also don't spend my time challenging others to obtain one.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#63 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 986 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

As mentioned about other states, in Texas we have a choice of electric providers.

In YOUR part of Texas, maybe :)

since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
HR24-500 -- Samsung UN32EH5000FXZA

#64 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

Exactly. Do the deal mongers barter with their other service providers (power, phone, heating fuel, ect.)? I doubt it.

I tried. Although it generally doesn't work, it surprisingly worked on heating fuel. At the very least, the CSR explains all the options they offer (some aren't even advertised) so you can make the best choice for you.

#65 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

I am not interested in bartering for deals. I believe every customer is equal to every other customer, and therefore I believe that every customer should be entitled to what other customers are receiving, for the same price.

If I have bought a lower-priced model auto from an auto dealership, why should I settle for less-skilled mechanics or a lower tier of service when I bring my car in?
-- Ira

#66 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Additional factors such as your location and the strength of the competitors in a market may also factor into any discount decisions.

Absolutely. They even had marked in their subscriber system, right next to your hearts rating if you were in a FIOS area. (At least they did to when I was involved with them a few years ago - I'm sure it could have changed).

#67 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,388 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

You certainly have choices for mortgage and rent at least.

I suppose you can pay off the mortgage or move, but that's a pretty drastic choice. :(
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#68 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Part of the problem has to be that DirecTV (and some other service providers) have, in the past, been willing to keep extending discounts to people who make noise. This then makes others, who didn't raise a fuss, wonder if they're being suckers and deciding that they too will do what it takes to "get theirs". That DirecTV finally realized a couple of years ago that this was not the best way to do business is, in my opinion, goodness. Giving new customers a special deal is pretty much standard throughout a lot of the business world (look at magazine subscriptions, for example), but it keeps your margins low.

Yes, I'm certainly aware that there many out there who insisted on free upgrades and discounts and got them. I choose not to go down that path.

Steve

My Setup

#69 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Phone - yep, as I have options
Heating fuel (propane for me) - yep, as I have options
Electric - nope, as I have no financially reasonable options (i.e. w/out going off the grid)

Where I have options I absolutely work with the service provider to ensure that I am obtaining the best price possible.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#70 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

It isn't about insisting on the discounts, it is that it is part of the business model that Direct has set in place. They make the rules about that, you and I had no input into that at all. I will ask for (not insist) discounts when I think it is appropriate and in my best interest. And that is because I'm the sole arbiter of what I think something is worth. Direct has a building full of accountants, marketing types, and salespeople to take care of them getting the most dollars from us. And that is what they are supposed to do.

We are also supposed to be watching out to ensure we get the most for our dollars. To do otherwise is just giving them free money! Direct said a couple of years ago that they would be scaling that back, but in the last two years it is obvious to even the most casual observer, that was just chin music. They are still using discounts to existing customers as part of their business plan, now it is up to us to get whatever discounts are available to us.

Of course, you aren't forced to do that, just as I'm not forced to ask for them.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#71 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

I suppose you can pay off the mortgage or move, but that's a pretty drastic choice. :(

You don't have to "pay off the mortgage or move" you simply have to refinance elsewhere. I get letters in the mail on a weekly basis asking me to refinance with a (they hope) better rate.

#72 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

I find this thread very interesting.

You constantly read here about discounts received when customers threaten DirecTV with leaving etc. Perhaps they are sick of it....or maybe not.

The thing that has just FRAZZLED me since it started in February is the "regional sports fee" that applies willy-nilly depending on your ZIP code. In my case I HATE SPORTS and am irked enough having to pay for ESPN and other sports channels in my package that I never watch (Choice Extra Classic).

So I decided to complain. Sure enough, for 3 months the CSR credited my account the lousy $2 (+ tax) each time I called in so I decided for the principle of the thing that was what I had to do. But after three months an overseas voice read the new "script" to me instead. What a joke! The first snow job to get rid of the customer was "your STATE makes us charge the fee". OK so how come a friend of mine living 30 miles away IN THE SAME STATE doesn't have it on their bill? Oops, choose another fairy tale. "The FCC makes us charge the fee" was the next laugher. It was so funny I just couldn't get angry. Rather than listen to the entire script of phoney-baloney excuses, I simply asked when my commitment (contract) expired. I already knew I wasn't under a commitment and hadn't gotten squat in the way of any deals for years. "Oh, I'll have to transfer you to an account expert who has that information". Translation: Script says folks asking about ETF are to be transferred to retention.

Sure enough a friendly US-based man came on the line. "I have just the thing for you" he said. If you mean the Entertainment package forget it I said. It doesn't contain my favorite (non-sports) channels. So what is the procedure for canceling DirecTV and is there any ETF involved? Do I have to ship my receivers back and if so how? (In other words, I'm jumping ship after 12 years due to your lousy nickel-and-dime sports fee and I'll call you back to cancel when your competitor is up and running)

"Well, lets see what I have here for a good customer like yourself". Uh-huh. "How about free DVR service for 6 months AND $10 off your bill each month for a year?" I couldn't believe it. And I don't even have HD or any of the snazzy new money makers (whole-home, etc.) "That'll do it" I said and shocker number two was checking my account on the web and finding I really did get the credits.

So don't believe that DirecTV is letting customers "hop" ;) to a competitor without an attempt to keep them. Of course, I always pay my bill on time and give them plenty each month which, obviously is a big factor....

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#73 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

It isn't about insisting on the discounts, it is that it is part of the business model that Direct has set in place. They make the rules about that, you and I had no input into that at all. I will ask for (not insist) discounts when I think it is appropriate and in my best interest. And that is because I'm the sole arbiter of what I think something is worth. Direct has a building full of accountants, marketing types, and salespeople to take care of them getting the most dollars from us. And that is what they are supposed to do.

We are also supposed to be watching out to ensure we get the most for our dollars. To do otherwise is just giving them free money! Direct said a couple of years ago that they would be scaling that back, but in the last two years it is obvious to even the most casual observer, that was just chin music. They are still using discounts to existing customers as part of their business plan, now it is up to us to get whatever discounts are available to us.

Of course, you aren't forced to do that, just as I'm not forced to ask for them.

+3.14159 !

Exactly. For those people who people can afford not to worry about discounts or saving money, all the power to them but for most of the 99% saving a few bucks is almost a necessity and saving it on the "less important" things is even better.

ASKING for a discount is a lot different than INSISTING on a discount. The "pay the full ride because DirecTV needs the money" folks keep using the "entitlement" word. That's not it at all. I absolutely am not entitled to a discount from DirecTV or anyone but if they are willing to give me one simply for asking or writing a letter I sure as hell am not going to refuse it. Sometimes it's as simple as asking "what discounts or promos are available for me?" Of course the response from the other side will be "if you can't afford it drop the service." Not being able to afford it, or simply wanting to reduce costs, are two different things.

DirecTV made their own bed, now they have to sleep in it. All the "DirecTV protectors" surely should understand that if DirecTV wanted to stop giving discounts they could within 24 hours. It would simply take 1 training session to end it all. In fact, DirecTV in their CSR knowledge base lists dozens of discounts that are available to existing customers of which some are available to front line CSR's and some to the CRG group only. I haven't looked in quite a while since I am no longer "involved" with DirecTV but I have little doubt that page is still there.

#74 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

oh its there...see my post

her system wouldn't take it for more than 12 months. She offered to add it for 12 months and give me a one time $140 instant credit. She said I would probably have to call back in 12 months to get it extended again

Man i wish employees would use their resources....this offer is no longer available.....some emails went out by error and those will be honored but this person told you 24 months. The system wouldnt let her do it because SHE'S NOT SUPPOSED TO....now you'll have to call in 12 months and get pissed all over again.....wait she gave you a cash credit too so i reckon your good....

My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#75 ONLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my head around getting a deal being an "enititlement mentality". If you mean that some people think that D* owes them something, then I completely agree with you but if the point is asking for a deal (even asking a lot) is an "entitlement mentality" I disagree.

This is not a government program. It is an arms length business deal with a company I have zero vested interest in. My interest is purely getting the most advantageous deal I can for me and my family. The price I may be willing to pay, may not be what D*'s asking price is. D* is well within their rights to simply say "no" and even cut a customer loose. For example, my Sirius radio subscription expires this month, it isn't even remotely worth $16 a month to keep. There is lots of competition. I called them and told them that, they offered $5 a month, which I felt was a reasonable asking price and took it.

It is no different than the relationship D* has with their equipment providers and service providers and I would hope, for their shareholders sake (which I am not one), D* efforts to "get a deal" whenever they can, rather than simply forking over whatever the asking price is.

As to the point made by others, the difference in dealing with D* (and other service providers engaged in industries with heavy competition) as compared to essential services which are quasi-government services, with no competition and therefore heavily regulated (ie water and electric) seems obvious, but is apparently lost on some.

Edited by raott, 16 June 2012 - 07:29 AM.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...