Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Interesting comments on DirecTV and Retention

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

In Illinois we may now select from a number of different electric providers which have lower electric rates than the main utility (Exelon). You pay Exelon for the infrastructure and maintenance but the actual electric usage is at a much lower rate from a third party.

ONLY in certain areas with private utility companies such as Exelon & Ameren.
If you are served by a municipal utility co. (such as CWLP in Springfield & surrounding areas) then that option is NOT available, sorry. ;)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Yes, I do. I don't do it either.

Do you pay sticker or asking price for a car?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Do you pay sticker or asking price for a car?

Apples to oranges.

A car is far most costly and has significantly higher margin.

A car retail and wholesale price is published and/or available online, so negotiating is nearly an expectation and common practice.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#44 OFFLINE   larryah

larryah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

Maybe if you offer some incentive to stay, a low end customer might become a high end customer some day. Not to mention the new customers they might get to try DTV.

#45 OFFLINE   jscott70

jscott70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

We obviously don't know the exact definition of "bottom-end customers" but in my case I seem to qualify with 14 years perfect payment history with an average of about $140 per month. Giving DISH a 2-year tryout is looking better all the time. ;)

If you don't care about 3d content and the Sunday Ticket, Dish is absolutely the better way to go. I find their DVR's to be MUCH faster and better and their customer service is far better as well. I just took advantage of all the latest promos so I went back to DirecTV but am keeping my dish account, albeit scaled back to the $14.99 per month welcome pack, just so I can get the gazillion recordings off onto DVD or digital format. If DirecTV gets on my nerves too badly I'll ramp my Dish account back up and scale back Direct until my 2 years is up. At this point I find DirecTV customer service to be the worst customer service I've ever experienced in my 42 years on this earth. They are mind numbingly stupid and undertrained.

#46 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Does your utility bill go down after you've been a customer of theirs after X amount of time? Does your car payment go down after X amount of time? Does your mortgage payment go down after X amount of time? Does your rent go down after X amount of time? Do any of them give discounts for being a customer for X amount of time? Why would you expect DirecTV to do that?

Because DirecTV has competitors as other choices. The items you cite do not.

My electric company did send me a $10 Starbucks card...:D
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#47 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Does your utility bill go down after you've been a customer of theirs after X amount of time? Does your car payment go down after X amount of time? Does your mortgage payment go down after X amount of time? Does your rent go down after X amount of time? Do any of them give discounts for being a customer for X amount of time? Why would you expect DirecTV to do that?

I understand your point, but you are generalizing.

As mentioned about other states, in Texas we have a choice of electric providers. So its competitive and prices do fluctuate. My rates with the same provide have gone down, when I renewed for another 12 mo's.

Another example is Boost Mobile prepaid service. The monthlies go down, based on the length of time that you are a customer. Unlimited talk, text, web is $50 for the first 6 mo's, $45 for the next 6 mo's, $40 for the next 6 mo's and $35 for the as long as you are a customer.

So to answer your question, there are some providers that do go down after x amount of time.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#48 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

.... At this point I find DirecTV customer service to be the worst customer service I've ever experienced in my 42 years on this earth. They are mind numbingly stupid and undertrained.

Hey, just a little harsh there...
Remember, they have to answer phone calls all day long, probably in a room with no windows, and have people on the other end of the line,maybe like yourself, who always know how to do their job better. Not being a fanboy, just pointing out there are always 2 sides in a conversation.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#49 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

Apples to oranges.

A car is far most costly and has significantly higher margin.

A car retail and wholesale price is published and/or available online, so negotiating is nearly an expectation and common practice.

Not apples to oranges at all. If there is a competitive environment the customer has the power to negotiate (and the company has the power to say no). It seems there is a mantra with some on here that it is somehow immoral to negotiate with D*, which IMO, is utterly ridiculous.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#50 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

I thought I'd read here on the board (maybe in one of the quarterly reports threads) that the average customer bill was around $95/month. If so, $140/month would be more on the high end.

Found it on the Directv website, 2012 1st Quarter Financial Report:

Average Monthly Revenue per Subscriber (ARPU)
2012Q1 = 91.99
2011Q1 = 88.79

FYI, another informative number from the report is Average Monthly Subscriber Churn (the % of customers that leave during the month.) It was 1.44% for the first quarter, down from 1.5% the year before.

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=671207
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#51 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Not apples to oranges at all. If there is a competitive environment the customer has the power to negotiate (and the company has the power to say no). It seems there is a mantra with some on here that it is somehow immoral to negotiate with D*, which IMO, is utterly ridiculous.

I've found you can just about negotiate everything, even prices in stores. I always ask, the worst thing they can say is "no".

#52 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hey, just a little harsh there...
Remember, they have to answer phone calls all day long, probably in a room with no windows, and have people on the other end of the line,maybe like yourself, who always know how to do their job better. Not being a fanboy, just pointing out there are always 2 sides in a conversation.

And don't forget that shift slave driver sitting in the corner beating the drum and screaming "pull". ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#53 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Another example is Boost Mobile prepaid service. The monthlies go down, based on the length of time that you are a customer. Unlimited talk, text, web is $50 for the first 6 mo's, $45 for the next 6 mo's, $40 for the next 6 mo's and $35 for the as long as you are a customer.

This makes excellent sense. You price your service in such a way that it (presumably) remains cost-effective, even as you cut price for the consumer.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#54 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

It seems there is a mantra with some on here that it is somehow immoral to negotiate with D*, which IMO, is utterly ridiculous.

There also seems to be a misguided notion that Directv has lousy customer service if someone doesn't get the discount they want/deserve/need. Additional factors such as your location and the strength of the competitors in a market may also factor into any discount decisions.

#55 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Additional factors such as your location and the strength of the competitors in a market may also factor into any discount decisions.

Well, that could account for some of their hardheadedness in Des Moines. No FIOS or U-Verse here. And although Mediacom has added a number of HD channels -- including a number that DirecTV doesn't carry, such as BBCA, H2 and HLN -- the cableco is still not competitive on pricing for DVR service; doesn't carry anywhere near as many premiums in HD; sports packages; MLB, NHL or NBA nets; or alternative sports channels in HD. It also has a reputation for horrid customer service. In other words, there is no competition in Des Moines except for DISH.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Because DirecTV has competitors as other choices. The items you cite do not.

My electric company did send me a $10 Starbucks card...:D

You certainly have choices for mortgage and rent at least.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

So to answer your question, there are some providers that do go down after x amount of time.

But you know that getting into it. With DirecTV you know your price, period. Why expect it to go down, or get credits, when you know that's not the norm?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

But you know that getting into it. With DirecTV you know your price, period. Why expect it to go down, or get credits, when you know that's not the norm?

True, and personally I don't expect the price to go down, but I do hope to get credits. Those credits or equipment with no upfront cost, help reinforce my commitment to DIRECTV. And when asked about them by friends and colleagues, I say good things about how DIRECTV takes care of their good customers.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#59 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

There also seems to be a misguided notion that Directv has lousy customer service if someone doesn't get the discount they want/deserve/need. Additional factors such as your location and the strength of the competitors in a market may also factor into any discount decisions.

+1 - in my early years I ran a call center for a major service provider and the following pattern emerged when the numbers where run

person calls in get everything they want frm the rep = great, unmatched customer service

same person calls in again and does not get what they want = worst customer service in the world

#60 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

What is utterly ridiculous is the entitlement mentality to always get a deal, always get some kind of discount, always get what is requested.

In addition, no company supports that (especially if they want to stay in business).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...