Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Interesting comments on DirecTV and Retention

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

The disconnect with me is that loyal, longtime customers like myself are paying more for frequently inferior service (e.g. no whole-home vs. a $400 upgrade) and inferior equipment (two-generation-old HR-21 receivers vis a vis a $200 upgrade to a newer receiver and no chance at getting the HR-34) than unproven, new customers, who get all of this at no cost to them.

Maybe it's time for you to look at dish.

I'm not sure about the unproven. They do check credit history and require a credit card on file.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

I asked for nothing, and was offered nothing.

The last thing she mentioned was that if I was not satisfied with DISH, I should call retention and ask for the "welcome back package". What ever that is.

How much time do you have to cancel the Dish contract without a penalty? I assume there will be a penalty. It will be interesting to see if D* covers the penalty and what they would offer you.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#103 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Maybe it's time for you to look at dish.

I have. Wonderful technology. More HD channels. Very capable local installer. Enticing promotional prices. Competitive everyday pricing.

Was strongly considering them before this business with AMC popped up, like a violent thunderstorm. My problem with DISH is it has an egomaniac CEO who insists that "negotiating" with content providers means pulling their channels off the service, waiting for them to come begging to please, please take them back. Meanwhile, helpless customers are left in the lurch.

Of course you never want say never. But I'm reluctant to change providers until DISH's CEO starts thinking less about his ego and more about his customers, who probably wouldn't mind paying a little more if they could be confident their favorite programs will be there tomorrow.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#104 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

I have. Wonderful technology. More HD channels. Very capable local installer. Enticing promotional prices. Competitive everyday pricing.

Was strongly considering them before this business with AMC popped up, like a violent thunderstorm. My problem with DISH is it has an egomaniac CEO who insists that "negotiating" with content providers means pulling their channels off the service, waiting for them to come begging to please, please take them back. Meanwhile, helpless customers are left in the lurch.

Of course you never want say never. But I'm reluctant to change providers until DISH's CEO starts thinking less about his ego and more about his customers, who probably wouldn't mind paying a little more if they could be confident their favorite programs will be there tomorrow.

The only thing I watched on AMC was Walking Dead. Season 1 was good, but DirecTV had it in SD. Then they fire Frank Darabont. Season 2 was in lovely HD, but the show just went nowhere. Bottom line: I won't be missing AMC when I switch to DISH tomorrow.

#105 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

I asked for nothing, and was offered nothing.

The last thing she mentioned was that if I was not satisfied with DISH, I should call retention and ask for the "welcome back package". What ever that is.

I cancelled DirecTV about 3-1/2 years ago. When I called to cancel, they didn't give me any great offers to retain me. After I cancelled, they offered me the sun and the moon to get me back. Within days of cancelling, I was receiving 2-3 offers a week to get me to come back. I still get the offers, but the frequency has dwindled to 2-3 times per month.

You won't have to call retention to ask for a welcome back package, they'll contact you.

#106 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

I cancelled DirecTV about 3-1/2 years ago. When I called to cancel, they didn't give me any great offers to retain me. After I cancelled, they offered me the sun and the moon to get me back. Within days of cancelling, I was receiving 2-3 offers a week to get me to come back. I still get the offers, but the frequency has dwindled to 2-3 times per month.

You won't have to call retention to ask for a welcome back package, they'll contact you.

That is not for every customer, it is based on your account history. No two accounts are the same in the system so not every customer is qualified for the same offers.
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#107 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

correct lots of variables...amounts of credit (equipment and programming) ...pay history..length of tenure...programming etc....
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#108 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

My problem with DISH is it has an egomaniac CEO who insists that "negotiating" with content providers means pulling their channels off the service, waiting for them to come begging to please, please take them back. Meanwhile, helpless customers are left in the lurch.

Or they could operate like DirecTV just paying whatever programmers ask and sticking it to the subscribers every February. And for a little icing on the cake, how about a nickel-and-dime "regional sports fee" for some unlucky subscribers?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#109 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Or they could operate like DirecTV just paying whatever programmers ask and sticking it to the subscribers every February. And for a little icing on the cake, how about a nickel-and-dime "regional sports fee" for some unlucky subscribers?

Dish has raised rates on services every year as well. You won't have to worry about those fees on DISH because they don't carry the RSN's. You could also choose a package without RSN's and avoid that fee.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#110 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Dish has raised rates on services every year as well. You won't have to worry about those fees on DISH because they don't carry the RSN's. You could also choose a package without RSN's and avoid that fee.

For kicks I went Dish's website and decided to put in what I felt was equivalent to what I had with Directv. 3 rooms, the hopper, and free HD for life was more expensive than what I have on Directv and I have the channels I actually want.

#111 OFFLINE   fjcastro

fjcastro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I have been a DirecTV customer for about 12 years. I have been experiencing super slow performance by my HR22 for quite some time and I was told by Customer Service that it was a "known problem". Spoke to the Retention department about it and the only thing that they offered me was $40 off my bill for six months ($240) plus another $10 off per month for an additional 6 months ($60). The next day my receiver would not connect to my router and I called the Retention department again. I said the only way to keep me as a customer would be to upgrade me to the HR34. The agent said that there were no "offers" for any discounts on the HR34 and I just kept insisting that I shouldn't have to pay $175 a month for inferior equipment and service. It took about 45 minutes but I ended up getting the following: an HR34 and CCK for free. I had to pay a $49 installation fee (no problem) and I now have a 2 year agreement. This is not an issue with me because I won't be switching to DISH anytime soon. Especially after they dropped AMC. (Big Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Walking Dead fan). Also, it helped to mention that I just received a mailer from DISH offering a free Hopper.

#112 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have been a DirecTV customer for about 12 years. I have been experiencing super slow performance by my HR22 for quite some time and I was told by Customer Service that it was a "known problem". Spoke to the Retention department about it and the only thing that they offered me was $40 off my bill for six months ($240) plus another $10 off per month for an additional 6 months ($60). The next day my receiver would not connect to my router and I called the Retention department again. I said the only way to keep me as a customer would be to upgrade me to the HR34. The agent said that there were no "offers" for any discounts on the HR34 and I just kept insisting that I shouldn't have to pay $175 a month for inferior equipment and service. It took about 45 minutes but I ended up getting the following: an HR34 and CCK for free. I had to pay a $49 installation fee (no problem) and I now have a 2 year agreement. This is not an issue with me because I won't be switching to DISH anytime soon. Especially after they dropped AMC. (Big Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Walking Dead fan). Also, it helped to mention that I just received a mailer from DISH offering a free Hopper.

What is CCK?

#113 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

What is CCK?

cinema connection kit

#114 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

cinema connection kit

Which you don't actually need with the HR34, since it has DECA built in.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#115 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

cinema connection kit

Oh ok. I had all kinds of problems with mine. The guy they sent out to troubleshoot shoot it even tried a new one and it still wouldn't worked. Then he hooked up a DECA and said this is what they actually want us to use for your equipment and it works like a charm. But I must ask, why?! If that's what they want us to use why don't they make the info stating this available instead of playing this constant hide and seek game with it. Even though it worked with no problem until a couple of months ago I would have never bought the CCK if I had known this DECA thing is what I needed for my stuff to begin with.

#116 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Oh ok. I had all kinds of problems with mine. The guy they sent out to troubleshoot shoot it even tried a new one and it still wouldn't worked. Then he hooked up a DECA and said this is what they actually want us to use for your equipment and it works like a charm. But I must ask, why?! If that's what they want us to use why don't they make the info stating this available instead of playing this constant hide and seek game with it. Even though it worked with no problem until a couple of months ago I would have never bought the CCK if I had known this DECA thing is what I needed for my stuff to begin with.

A CCK is a DECA. Basically it's any DECA connected to your router. Those of us that had one earlier on have a DECA dongle (with P/S attached.)

http://www.solidsign...ECA--(DECA1MR01)

The next version was a broadband DECA (before the name was changed to CCK.)

http://www.solidsign...-Kit-(DECABB1R0)

And finally the "all-in-one" CCK

http://www.solidsign...tion-Kit-(CCK-W)

Not sure what version you initially used, but you could have had a defective unit. I've used them all, and all work well. The tech was also likely feeding you a line. If they asked him to use a particular DECA, then why did he try to hook up another version of what you currently had? I had a tech in the house recently who started spewing "garbage." I sent him on his way pretty quickly...

Edited by dsw2112, 08 July 2012 - 05:00 PM.

SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#117 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

My two year contract is over this year. I tried to get them to match the Dish Network but they wouldn't. I think the two companies are comparable . .I've had both. I will save about $350 by switching when you consider the intro offer, the rebate and the free premium channels. Dish is about $6 cheaper than DTV on their AT250 plan.

#118 OFFLINE   abooch

abooch

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Quick question. I had to upgrade my package online because I had the old HD DVR choice package. Does this automatically put me in a new two-year agreement with D*?

#119 OFFLINE   edoug

edoug

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I wouldn't think so.

#120 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm thinking about dumping Directv for Comcast and Tivo.

Here's my thinking: get a few more HD channels I want that aren't available on DTV and probably won't be (BBC America, eg). Can get a Tivo Premiere, which basically is a better UI than the HR34, plus you can take recordings off it). About the same price, perhaps a bit more on Comcast (unfortunately they save their best deals for packages with other services I don't need). Less wiring hassle for my house. No rain outages.

Comcast has a better on-demand in my area, but it's not much of a factor. DTV has some more sports that I generally don't watch. I'd say current DTV customer service is better than I recall with comcast, and I doubt it's changed. But once up and running I rarely need either's tech support.

The Viacomm thing is a factor as well.

Is there anything DTV is likely to do to make me want to change my mind?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...