Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Interesting comments on DirecTV and Retention

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Quick question. I had to upgrade my package online because I had the old HD DVR choice package. Does this automatically put me in a new two-year agreement with D*?

Not unless they come out to your house to upgrade your receivers. You will have to sign the contract before the installer will leave.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm thinking about dumping Directv for Comcast and Tivo.

Here's my thinking: get a few more HD channels I want that aren't available on DTV and probably won't be (BBC America, eg). Can get a Tivo Premiere, which basically is a better UI than the HR34, plus you can take recordings off it). About the same price, perhaps a bit more on Comcast (unfortunately they save their best deals for packages with other services I don't need). Less wiring hassle for my house. No rain outages.

Comcast has a better on-demand in my area, but it's not much of a factor. DTV has some more sports that I generally don't watch. I'd say current DTV customer service is better than I recall with comcast, and I doubt it's changed. But once up and running I rarely need either's tech support.

The Viacomm thing is a factor as well.

Is there anything DTV is likely to do to make me want to change my mind?

If you are a good customer , they will probably offer you about $20 /month discount for you to stay. There is no contract extension involved.

#123 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

If you are a good customer , they will probably offer you about $20 /month discount for you to stay. There is no contract extension involved.

Many discounts now come with agreements as well.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#124 OFFLINE   byroan

byroan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Many discounts now come with agreements as well.

Not the monthly discounts.

Getting ST for free does have an agreement.

#125 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Not the monthly discounts.

Getting ST for free does have an agreement.

Yes monthly programming discounts as well may have an agreement.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#126 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

sure, if they give me $40 a month discount I would agree to a year. $20 is not worth talking about. Meanwhile they keep begging me to let them install a $200 hd dvr that I don't need, for free. With the install charge that would cost them about $275.

Edited by mitchflorida, 11 July 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#127 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Let me ask you, what is it going to take for you to change your mind?

I'm thinking about dumping Directv for Comcast and Tivo.

Here's my thinking: get a few more HD channels I want that aren't available on DTV and probably won't be (BBC America, e.g.).

You already know the answer to this dilemma - Directv probably won't be adding BBCA or the others you want anytime soon, so what can the CSR offer you - movie channels? Would that be a fair exchange for you?

Can get a Tivo Premiere, which basically is a better UI than the HR34, plus you can take recordings off it).

You can get a TIVO unit from Directv, if you really want a TIVO unit. Probably $199, but would it make a difference to you if it cost less? If so how much?

The UI is different on the TIVO unit than the HR34, but in your opinion is it better?

You lose features like WHDVR, Directv Cinema, 3D with the Directv TIVO, does that matter?

You can take recordings off the DVR...Nomad!

About the same price, perhaps a bit more on Comcast

So monthly cost is not a factor, so discounts probably wouldn't make you change your mind, unless they possibly offset the cost of equipment.

No rain outages.

Every provider has a a vulnerability to outages of some sort, Comcast is no different. But perhaps a service call would solve or minimize your rain outages. Would that entice you to stay?

Comcast has a better on-demand in my area, but it's not much of a factor.

A non factor then, and nothing a CSR can do to improve the Directv on demand

DTV has some more sports that I generally don't watch.

Again a non-factor

I'd say current DTV customer service is better than I recall with comcast, and I doubt it's changed. But once up and running I rarely need either's tech support.

Once more, a non-factor

The Viacomm thing is a factor as well.

All providers are open to this kind of action and it affects Cablecos as well. While this is inconvenient at this time, there will be some resolution.

Is there anything DTV is likely to do to make me want to change my mind?

They can and will probably offer discounts, free equipment and or free programming but again, what would it take them doing to change your mind? Do you want your mind changed?

#128 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

I, on other hand, sub to Choice Select and HD Extra, so I won't expect Retention to bend over backwards if/when I call to cancel.

So I called today to cancel and the retention rep asked why I was cancelling and I said the lack of a quality high speed internet option to bundle with my TV service and escalating charges he offered to see what he could do about that. I said fine, but as is so often the case with calls to DirecTV, the line went dead. Start over. Different rep, but I gave the same summary, to which he replies, "Yeah, we hear that a lot", in regard to a lack of HSI to bundle. He pretty much cancelled service and didn't even make a pitch.

I have no problems with that and I didn't want an equipment upgrade or anything else that triggers a new commitment. Honestly, TV is not the priority it once was, even with HD. I just can't see paying over $50/mo. for TV. With TWC I can downscale to Basic if it gets out of hand. What I don't want is "Please come back!" offers after I've sent the equipment back to DirecTV.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#129 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

What I don't want is "Please come back!" offers after I've sent the equipment back to DirecTV.

You will start getting mailings and emails within 4 weeks of cancelling.

#130 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

You will start getting mailings and emails within 4 weeks of cancelling.

It started sooner than that after I switched to FiOS. That didn't bother me at all, as I am happy with FiOS.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#131 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

What I don't want is "Please come back!" offers after I've sent the equipment back to DirecTV.

Well, I give them credit because the "Let's Start Over" e-mail came before the reclamation box. They only want the HR21 so I'll probably see what the going price is on the HR20. I did call the number on the e-mail to see what the pitch was. Asked about the distants and found they were off the table and I'd have to reapply. Since locals are available, I know how that would go. When I asked about the Lifetime DVR on my account and found out that too was off the table and I'd have to pay $8/mo. for DVR, I said thanks and goodbye.

It's possible I could regret this, but in the end it's just TV and I find DirecTV is more like cable now than when I first signed on in 1998. But, unlike cable a good Internet option isn't bundled.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#132 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Well, I give them credit because the "Let's Start Over" e-mail came before the reclamation box. They only want the HR21 so I'll probably see what the going price is on the HR20. I did call the number on the e-mail to see what the pitch was. Asked about the distants and found they were off the table and I'd have to reapply. Since locals are available, I know how that would go. When I asked about the Lifetime DVR on my account and found out that too was off the table and I'd have to pay $8/mo. for DVR, I said thanks and goodbye.

It's possible I could regret this, but in the end it's just TV and I find DirecTV is more like cable now than when I first signed on in 1998. But, unlike cable a good Internet option isn't bundled.

hr20's are non recoverable...doesnt mean they are considered owned...just FYI
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall