Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Watching DVR-recorded programs on iPad, confused :(

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

We're just getting into the stream-to-my-devices part of things. Hooked up our HR24-100 and HR20-100 via regular ol' ethernet cables to the wireless router.

The iPad sees both units and all seems well. I see where it allows to stream allowed content and live TV.

Except for one thing, how to watch recordings on the DVRs to the iPad. The iPad software allows for choosing a previously recorded program then watch it on TV. Great. But I don't want to watch it on TV, want to watch it on the iPad. In our own house.

Is this a software limitation? Restriction? Is this even possible? Does D* make you use the Nomad just to stream your own recordings in your home? I don't want to take recordings with me, just watch them on the iPad.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,603 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

You need DirecTV's Nomad to transfer your DVR recordings to your iPad. There's currently no way to "stream" DVR recordings to your iPad, only a networked PC (using the DirecTV2PC software).
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

You could purchase a 3rd party streaming device such as slingbox. It is designed for remote viewing but works great for streaming to ipad on the local network.
DirecTV customer since 1995

#4 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

OK, thank you for the replies. "Thwarted at the moat" if only using the HDDVR...

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Slingbox works great with an iPad. Works quite well on 3G also.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   no1hedberg

no1hedberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Check out the directv everywhere app for iPad. If I understand you correctly I think it does what you want to do.
2 HR21-100's
2 AM21's
1 HR10-250
1 Sony SAT B2

#7 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Check out the directv everywhere app for iPad. If I understand you correctly I think it does what you want to do.

The OP has the iPad app but wants to view recordings on the iPad. Only the nomad or sling box like device allows this at the moment.

The iPad app does offer live tv streaming in the home and certain channels/shows are available outside the home as well.

I think that, one day, we'll see streaming in the home to mobile devices via the nomad device. I might be waiting a really long time though...

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#8 OFFLINE   PurdueGradMem

PurdueGradMem

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I am with Homebase. I can understand not being able to stream content to an IPAD and take it outside your house. However, not being able to stream DVRd content to an IPAD seems like a large oversite on DTVs part. Still love my whole-home setup, but this would ice the cake.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...