Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new dallas as good as ever

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

The new show was as good as the old and as many plot twist as ever. It will be a wed Tnt night for the season. I was surprised at the long length and the extra bonus because a remake is not as good as the first nor do they put $ in the remake. Good to see Sue Ellen and JR back at it and Bobby bringing up the good.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

My guess is that Rebecca and her brother Tommy blame the Ewings for the death of their parents, so they want vengeance and money. Yeah that will help them feel better!

After the first hour I thought they had one major flaw that they skimmed over (John Ross was meeting with the fake "Marta Del Sol" right after he struck oil, which was before Bobby announced he was going to sell Southfork to a conservancy organization. We learned that John Ross was paying off Bobby's attorney, so Junior was prepared), but the second hour solved the mystery for me.

I am, however, still waiting for the payout from JR's comment about why he needed the walker, "Watch and learn." I must have missed the "lesson"!

I liked it well enough, but I can't reconcile the new interiors of Southfork with the original that I know so well. I'll continue watching for the floor plans (and the hot younger cast) if nothing else.

How did John Ross know all this, even having arrangements with Bobby's

#3 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

My guess is that Rebecca and her brother Tommy blame the Ewings for the death of their parents, so they want vengeance and money. Yeah that will help them feel better!

After the first hour I thought they had one major flaw that they skimmed over (John Ross was meeting with the fake "Marta Del Sol" right after he struck oil, which was before Bobby announced he was going to sell Southfork to a conservancy organization. We learned that John Ross was paying off Bobby's attorney, so Junior was prepared), but the second hour solved the mystery for me.

I am, however, still waiting for the payout from JR's comment about why he needed the walker, "Watch and learn." I must have missed the "lesson"!

I liked it well enough, but I can't reconcile the new interiors of Southfork with the original that I know so well. I'll continue watching for the floor plans (and the hot younger cast) if nothing else.

How did John Ross know all this, even having arrangements with Bobby's

I agree with you, I also missed the Jock Ewing painting. That painting was symbolizing the fight between JR and Bobby in the old seasons.

I don't think we will see Cliff Barns, Westar, Ewing feud (too bad).
I still remember the episode when JR thought he'd have the control of Westar's shares, then suddenly, Sue Ellen showed up and prevented him to take the control of Westar.

Overall I liked the new episodes. I wish they would have put more characters from the old seasons in that new season.

BTW who will shot JR this time? (Catherine, Sue Ellen...) :D

#4 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

I thought the pilot was pretty good. Did not watch the 2nd one yet. Nice to see they kept the same opening theme music and images. Looks to be a interesting continuation of the original series.
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

TNT's 'Dallas' Rides Tall with 6.9 Million Viewers, Ranking as the Year's Number 1 Scripted Cable Premiere

http://tvbythenumber...remiere/138150/

-----------
I enjoyed it very much

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#6 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

I think t is as simple as him making it appear that he is weaker or more ignorant than he really is. Everyone's guard went down some when they saw him shuffling in with a walker then apologizing for everything, none of which was genuine.

#7 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

I didn't see much about it that interested me. Pass.

The Larry Hagman reanimation hologram was pretty good though.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

I didn't see much about it that interested me. Pass.

The Larry Hagman reanimation hologram was pretty good though.

!rolling

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

I agree with you, I also missed the Jock Ewing painting. That painting was symbolizing the fight between JR and Bobby in the old seasons.:D

If I'm not mistaken, that painting was taken as a personal possession by Larry Hagman when the show ended. He recently sold a bunch of his personal property at auction in Beverly Hills, and that picture was included in the property sold (along with a bunch of memorabilia from "Dallas" and "I Dream of Jeannie").

#10 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

I agree with you, I also missed the Jock Ewing painting. That painting was symbolizing the fight between JR and Bobby in the old seasons.

I don't think we will see Cliff Barns, Westar, Ewing feud (too bad).
I still remember the episode when JR thought he'd have the control of Westar's shares, then suddenly, Sue Ellen showed up and prevented him to take the control of Westar.

Overall I liked the new episodes. I wish they would have put more characters from the old seasons in that new season.

BTW who will shot JR this time? (Catherine, Sue Ellen...) :D

But this new series completely ignores the 2 movies they did, JR Returns and War of the Ewings. WOTE was irrelevant so no biggie there, but the first me JR Returns is when it's revealed JR shot the mirror in the series finale, Bobby buys Ewing Oil back from Cliff, and JR becomes Chairman of the Board of Westar. And Ken Kercheval is supposed to appear a few times this season.

#11 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

I liked the 3rd episode of this new season.

Ken Kercheval was great and seeing him with JR brought a lot of memory from the old seasons. He got older for sure.

I do have a question regarding Christopher Ewing. We all know that he's not Bobby's and Pam's son. In fact he's Kristin Shepard's, Sue Ellen's younger sister.

Could you correct me if I am wrong. Christopher is JR's son and not Jeff Faraday's son. I remember that Bobby bought him for $25,000, but I don't remember who is his biological father?

Speaking of Pam (it's just speculation) we might see her coming back in the show (If I remember she's was still alive in the old season after she got burnt in the car accident.) If she's coming back is it going to be our dear Victoria Principal (I doubt it, but who knows) or a new actress. I think bringing her back would add more action to this new Dallas season(s).

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

Southfork Ranch, where the opening has always been filmed, is about 8 miles from my home. It's a beautiful place that holds lots of functions.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

I liked the 3rd episode of this new season.

Ken Kercheval was great and seeing him with JR brought a lot of memory from the old seasons. He got older for sure.

I do have a question regarding Christopher Ewing. We all know that he's not Bobby's and Pam's son. In fact he's Kristin Shepard's, Sue Ellen's younger sister.

Could you correct me if I am wrong. Christopher is JR's son and not Jeff Faraday's son. I remember that Bobby bought him for $25,000, but I don't remember who is his biological father?

Speaking of Pam (it's just speculation) we might see her coming back in the show (If I remember she's was still alive in the old season after she got burnt in the car accident.) If she's coming back is it going to be our dear Victoria Principal (I doubt it, but who knows) or a new actress. I think bringing her back would add more action to this new Dallas season(s).

They proved it was Farradays. Kristen had miscarried the first child which was either JRs or if you remember, Jordans from the Cartel...she was blackmailing him with the child too. Farrraday then conceived with her after. Bobby and Pam found this all out when they went to California to get Kristens records from the hospital. Bobby came back and when JR tried to blackmail him to keep control of Ewing Oil when everyone else in the family voted to throw him out , he told him the truth, showed him the documents, and then decked him. This was while Cliff was in the hospital because he had tried to kill himself or something after JR destroyed him rightfully again, Sue Ellen wanted nothing to do with him, etc.

FYI we recently watched this season on DVD. It's the only reason I'd remember this. :D

#14 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

I finally remembered why the floor plan was bothering me... in the new series Bobby's study is where the dining room was in the original series, and in the new series the dining room is where the living room was in the original series. It feels wrong that they "flipped" it this way.

They need to get Nate Berkus or David Bromstad to Southfork, though. The study is claustrophobic and the giant "SF" Southfork logo over the stove in the kitchen REALLY bothers me.

#15 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

JR seriously needs to trim his eyebrows. :-)

#16 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

JR seriously needs to trim his eyebrows. :-)

Nah, they just make him seem that much more evil.....:eek2:

#17 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Nah, they just make him seem that much more evil.....:eek2:

+1
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#18 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

Watched the pilot and next episode (so only one ep. behind.) It's fun to see the old cast again and like Bobby's new wife, but most of the new cast are snoozers. Jesse Metcalfe (Christopher) is particularly untalented, but the guy playing John Ross is doing a good job in a difficult role.

The storylines are classic Dallas, so it's nice that they haven't changed the formula too much.

One other minor annoyance - the three young female leads all sort of look the same - high cheekbones, long dark hair, etc. When that closing scene at the football stadium started, it took me until the start of the 2nd episode to figure out which one she was.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#19 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Last night I thought Cliff was a Zombie when he walked in for the first time!

#20 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Dallas gets a 2nd season

http://tvbythenumber...-by-tnt/140046/

TNT has ordered 15 episodes for its second season, which is slated to air in 2013.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...