Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new dallas as good as ever

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

I just watched this week's episode and the show is definitely getting better. There may be one change they need to make, though, to bring in or keep viewers who did not watch the original series, and that is to explain some of the backstory, for example, between JR and Sue Ellen, and between Cliff Barnes and the Ewings.

I watched the original show so I understood why Cliff wanted Soutfhfork, but new viewers will not know the backstory about how Jock supposedly stole Southfork and Miss Ellie from Digger.

I'm glad it will be back for season 2 though. I still smile when I hear the Dallas theme song...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I just watched this week's episode and the show is definitely getting better. There may be one change they need to make, though, to bring in or keep viewers who did not watch the original series, and that is to explain some of the backstory, for example, between JR and Sue Ellen, and between Cliff Barnes and the Ewings.

I watched the original show so I understood why Cliff wanted Soutfhfork, but new viewers will not know the backstory about how Jock supposedly stole Southfork and Miss Ellie from Digger.

I'm glad it will be back for season 2 though. I still smile when I hear the Dallas theme song...

Yes, it is getting darn nasty, great stuff. I also noticed that Amazon VOD now has the original series http://www.amazon.co...keywords=dallas I'm thinking about buying them but am willing to wait to see if they become part of the Prime pack

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#23 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Good news on the new season. I was born in '81 so I remember watching the original but don't remember or know all the intricate story lines, but do know the basics. Never liked Cliff and always was a JR fan. I actually swore Ken Kercheval was dead, just thought for sure I remembered hearing that news around a year ago, looks like he and Hagman are both in bad shape though.

#24 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Except Cliff never tried to get Southfork in the original series as far as I remember. That was Miss Ellie's home. Jock only lived there basically. So, what right would bitter Cliff have for it to claim its rightfully his or whatever bs. Plus, since they ignored the movies in 96/98, Cliff should still own Ewing Oil. So, why doesn't he live in Dallas. Did it go under? Did he sell it to someone (Westar) and I miss it? Did he retire? That's all strange to me.

#25 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Good news on the new season. I was born in '81 so I remember watching the original but don't remember or know all the intricate story lines, but do know the basics. Never liked Cliff and always was a JR fan. I actually swore Ken Kercheval was dead, just thought for sure I remembered hearing that news around a year ago, looks like he and Hagman are both in bad shape though.

Not surprising! By the time you were old enough to even understand it, the show was on it's last leg. The best years of this show happened before you were born or still idolizing Captain Kangaroo.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#26 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Southfork Ranch, where the opening has always been filmed, is about 8 miles from my home. It's a beautiful place that holds lots of functions.

2.5 miles from my house. Haven't been inside in about 10 years, but drive by it once or twice per week.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#27 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

2.5 miles from my house. Haven't been inside in about 10 years, but drive by it once or twice per week.

We really are close. I think we had prom after party there, but that was 1996. I was out there last, but not "inside" for coaching a flag football team.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#28 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have to agree with you ! It is just if not better than the old Dallas . The show being in High Def makes it better than before .

#29 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Birthing a calf together.
How special ;)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#30 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

Just finished the last episode. Good stuff - classic, high-drama Dallas.
And I've been pleasantly surprised at how good an actor the guy playing John Ross is.

Now, if I can just bring myself to watch the last two episodes of the Closer... I'm going to miss Brenda Lee Johnson.

#31 OFFLINE   Propmaker

Propmaker

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

This old thread warning box is a nuisance!!!! I just typed out a paragraph (for the 3rd thread) on my experience working on this show and was given this stupid old thread warning nonsense. What is the point of that? If I didn't want to respond to a thread that is over 60 days old I wouldn't type anything in the message box!!!!

#32 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

A lot of guys google search a problem or topic and run across a thread then immediately sign up for the site and respond in said thread never realizing they are talking about something several months, in the best instance, to several years old. This seem to be what you did and why there is a warning abut old threads.

#33 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

RIP JR

Larry Hagman passed away last Friday from cancer.

#34 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

I was a bit surprised when they made JR and Bobby so central to the new show, especially with Hagman's age and recent history of medical problems, but it was fun watching those two spar just like way back in the 80s.

Here's hoping the writers come up with something crazy to give him a proper send off.

#35 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I was a bit surprised when they made JR and Bobby so central to the new show, especially with Hagman's age and recent history of medical problems, but it was fun watching those two spar just like way back in the 80s.

Here's hoping the writers come up with something crazy to give him a proper send off.

One last 'who shot JR?' episode!

#36 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Wow, it looks like we will be having a great roller coaster ride with season 2. Last nights episodes were great

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#37 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Was looking for some other stuff and saw I missed them, set to record this weekend. They air Friday night and Saturday morning for anyone who didn't catch the season opener--2 episodes.

#38 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Was looking for some other stuff and saw I missed them, set to record this weekend. They air Friday night and Saturday morning for anyone who didn't catch the season opener--2 episodes.

You should try out the Awesome TV Show feature at the top of the page and set reminders for yourself, it's great :)

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#39 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

ouch. ratings were really bad for the premiere, down significantly from last year.

#40 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Actually the date that the shows list said it aired was Tuesday, was actually Monday.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...