Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper Energy Effeciency

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SJ HART

SJ HART

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Have they made any improvements in the energy efficiency of a Hopper vs. 722s? Primarily the hard drive running 24x7 with the whole unit the equivalent of leaving a 60watt light on all the time. SJ

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Did you measure XiP813 power consumption ? Or telling about 722 ?

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yes, the Hopper uses less energy than the 722. I don't remember exactly how many watts, but when I ran the numbers a few months ago, switching to Hopper from a 722 saved me $1/month on my electric bill. In contrast, my cable DVR uses only 17W in standby.

#4 OFFLINE   18 is # 1

18 is # 1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Have they made any improvements in the energy efficiency of a Hopper vs. 722s? Primarily the hard drive running 24x7 with the whole unit the equivalent of leaving a 60watt light on all the time. SJ

Approximately 50 percent more energy efficient for a four-room installation than previous models

From the Tips & Useful info Sticky (can't post URLs yet).
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. -V

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

From the Tips & Useful info Sticky (can't post URLs yet).

I wouldn't re-post PR statements, when need real number for the discussion ...

#6 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

Should I run some numbers?
ViP 922 + ViP 722

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

If you have KillAwatt gadget and 813 [h2k] ...

#8 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

I don't have a Kill-a-Watt. But I do have the better Watts Up? :-)

The 813 draws about 43.5 to 44.5 watts. There's no difference in "standby" mode.
ViP 922 + ViP 722

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

I don't have a Kill-a-Watt. But I do have the better Watts Up? :-)

The 813 draws about 43.5 to 44.5 watts. There's no difference in "standby" mode.

Thanks for the measure. Is it measured during recording PTA time ? When all three tuners are active...

Well, 60W vs 44W .. I wouldn't say 50%, it's 27% only, but how we should calculate 4 rooms ? 2x722k vs 1xh2k+3xJ ?

#10 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

No, sorry, I don't have PTA running.

There's no difference, as I expected, with 3 tuners all recording (since they are recording all the time anyway). 44W.
ViP 922 + ViP 722

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

If you could add a number for one J ...

#12 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

The numbers I posted were with exactly one J. running, but I didn't measure. You want the measurement for the J.?
ViP 922 + ViP 722

#13 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'm sure this discussion matters somehow, but I'm really not feeling it.
It's a conscious choice to either use the modern convenience or not. If you use it, enjoy it and pay the bill. If not, then whoppity doo!, you saved a few bucks.... and a tree or something.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

The numbers I posted were with exactly one J. running, but I didn't measure. You want the measurement for the J.?

If you could, J is small and has own power supply and should consume less power ...

#15 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Sorry for the delay, a recording was in progress.

Joey is 8.9 in standby, 9.35 when On.
ViP 922 + ViP 722

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Thank you for the number too.

Now we could calculate typical set of 1xH and 3xJ as 44W + 3x9W = 71W.
If compare to two 722 120W power consumption, we get 41% of reduction, what are close to claimed 50% ...

#17 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

I'm sure this discussion matters somehow, but I'm really not feeling it.
It's a conscious choice to either use the modern convenience or not. If you use it, enjoy it and pay the bill. If not, then whoppity doo!, you saved a few bucks.... and a tree or something.

Energy efficiency matters for quite a few reasons. Anyone who is concerned about environmental damage from power production knows that the greenest solution is not renewable fuels but to use less power. Since most US electricity is made using coal, using less has a direct bearing on environmental damage.

Now, in one house, switching to a Hopper from an older unit may not matter much. But DVRs are actually quite high on the list of devices in your house that use electricity, in part because they run all the time. 44W sounds like nothing, but that's a KW a day. That's 7% of my daily usage.

Is it worth it to me to have a DVR? Yes. But that doesn't mean that I don't want my DVR to be as energy efficient as possible, within reason.

#18 OFFLINE   davejacobson

davejacobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

Im sure most people are concerned about the $$$$ it takes to run one of these things.My 722k is really outrageous. As far as electricity generation give me a clean coal plant any day and its not hurting the planet.That is another topic and should not be discussed in this thread.
A good serviceman is not expensive or free. He is priceless

#19 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Energy efficiency matters for quite a few reasons. Anyone who is concerned about environmental damage from power production knows that the greenest solution is not renewable fuels but to use less power. Since most US electricity is made using coal, using less has a direct bearing on environmental damage.

Now, in one house, switching to a Hopper from an older unit may not matter much. But DVRs are actually quite high on the list of devices in your house that use electricity, in part because they run all the time. 44W sounds like nothing, but that's a KW a day. That's 7% of my daily usage.

Is it worth it to me to have a DVR? Yes. But that doesn't mean that I don't want my DVR to be as energy efficient as possible, within reason.

This is a funny thread. Think about your heating/cooling costs, fridge, washer/dryer, hot water heater, etc. A Hopper/Joey installation is a fraction of your power consumption.

Also you need to take into account the power savings of not having your TV on as long since you will be watching less commercials!!
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#20 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

This is a funny thread. Think about your heating/cooling costs, fridge, washer/dryer, hot water heater, etc. A Hopper/Joey installation is a fraction of your power consumption.

Also you need to take into account the power savings of not having your TV on as long since you will be watching less commercials!!

:lol:

Seriously. There are easier ways to save 10-15 watts. ;)
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

spam firewall