Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper Energy Effeciency

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

I wonder how many watts were used up just talking about it here. :P

Oops! Another iceberg melted with that post.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#22 OFFLINE   18 is # 1

18 is # 1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

I wouldn't re-post PR statements, when need real number for the discussion ...

Forgive me for trying to help.

This is a funny thread. Think about your heating/cooling costs, fridge, washer/dryer, hot water heater, etc. A Hopper/Joey installation is a fraction of your power consumption.

Also you need to take into account the power savings of not having your TV on as long since you will be watching less commercials!!

The DVR is a double whammy because the heat it generates has to be compensated for by the AC. Might not be a problem up north but plasma TVs and DVR kill us down south.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. -V

#23 OFFLINE   SJ HART

SJ HART

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

:lol:

Seriously. There are easier ways to save 10-15 watts. ;)

True, but it depends where you live and what your rates are for electricity. I personally think that the drives should go to standby if not being used or programs not being recorded. Seems they might be able to do this. SJ

#24 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

Forgive me for trying to help.

The DVR is a double whammy because the heat it generates has to be compensated for by the AC. Might not be a problem up north but plasma TVs and DVR kill us down south.

I consider my plasma tv a heating appliance in the winter months. It's much more entertaining than watching my pellet stove burn or listening to the rumble of the oil furnace.
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

#25 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

When I had AT&T U-verse their HDD was terribly aggressive when it came to turning off the HDD. It would turn off after only 5 minutes of inactivity. I hated having to wait for it to spin up just because I paused for 5 minutes. I'd much rather a drive that spins 24/7 over that.

Also, technically, running the drive constantly (as long as it's not overheating) is actually better for it than constantly power cycling it. The oil in the drive is always warm and properly lubricating, and there is no thermal expansion/contraction constantly. Back in the old days there was also the issue of head parking (head would literally touch the center of the spindle when drive was not at full speed,) however modern drives have parking bays that eliminate this concern.

I agree with those that say there are better ways to look for power/money savings. I'm sure if Dish could, they would make it consume less power. Also keep in mind that (in most instances) the Hopper is having to power the LNBs to keep the signal. Would you really want to go through "Acquiring Satellite Signal" every time you turn on your TV just to save a few watts? This would also make recording a lot harder to do on a schedule.

Just turn up your AC 1 degree or something. Turn the fridge up 1 setting. Put bags of ice or more frozen foods in the freezer to keep it from having to cycle as often. Fix leaky faucets. Insulate your house. Unplug unused power adapters. Turn off unused lights.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Or just throw away all the devices, gadgets and live happy life in a forest or a cave. :)

#27 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

My power bill came in way to light the month after I switched. There was a meter reading error, but it did get me into checking all my stuff. I measured 34W for the hopper and 8 or so for the Joey, so its better than the two 622s at 35w each. Its a bummer there isn't a nighttime power down. "off" doesn't save anything.

This did get me on a kick to connect my stuff better. I crushed 192W of continuous usage on a bunch of stuff - all by just connecting it differenty. That closing in on $300 per year.

One key piece is a smart power strip. I needed that to turn off my amp that drive my main speakers only. When the receiver is on, it turns the switch on. Moving the actual TV to that one saved 18W. Its the same startup time too. I moved my Blu-Ray, streaming box, ethernet hub, and other stuff to that switch for a boatload more. Every cluster of stuff had 40w+ of savings.

My goofy dish setup calls for a power inserter. That thing is a big drain too. I'm switching to an eastern arc when I get to it.

To me its the point - use what you need to get it done, but not more than that. The computer monitors seem to be the most polite - when they are in standby they read near zero.

I agree with those that say there are better ways to look for power/money savings.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#28 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

How many watts does the power inserter draw? My 3-Hopper system requires a DPP44 and a DPP33. Perhaps I should find my Kill-A-Watt?

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

How many watts does the power inserter draw? My 3-Hopper system requires a DPP44 and a DPP33. Perhaps I should find my Kill-A-Watt?

Sure, you must :) - no one has same 3xh2k setup with DPP44+DPP33

#30 OFFLINE   18 is # 1

18 is # 1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

I consider my plasma tv a heating appliance in the winter months. It's much more entertaining than watching my pellet stove burn or listening to the rumble of the oil furnace.

In an area that uses more energy for heat than cooling, I can understand. I use heat sparingly 3-4 months of the year. The're are multiple days in February/March that we wear shorts in the DFW area. Likewise, plasma heat is not welcome May-October. Instead we tolerate Hopper heat.:nono2:
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. -V

#31 OFFLINE   SJ HART

SJ HART

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Wonder if DISH has a sustainability report for their company? In my area, we can pay up to 54 cents a kilowatt in the top tier for electricity. I've read that DVRs in general are the biggest draw on power in the US. I agree there are lots of ways to save watts, but companies need to take this seriously. Almost a competitive advantage. Should be a design requirement for new devices. SJ

http://news.cnet.com...energy-at-home/

Edited by SJ HART, 20 June 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

I show 22w for the inserter. So that cost about $3 per month. The Hopper/Joey at a combined 42W costs about $65 per year. I can run my theater 2 hours a day, every day, at 460w total, and it cost about $58 per year - so less than the Hopper/Joey combo. The 24/7 draws add up.

I put my EHDs on x10 switches. Those draw 7w each. The "fix' by Dishnet is to keep those running all the time. Some of my amps were drawing power when they were off too. I moved those to switched circuits.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor

#33 OFFLINE   deklund

deklund

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

I just switched out 1 922, 1 722, 2 622 and a 211 for 2 hoppers and 4 Joey's.
Looks like I'm saving 100 -110 watts according to my 3am usage from SCE. Translates to about $25 / month. This more than offsets the hassle of switching dishes and other hardware and I really like the Joey functionality. I have no hesitation to recommend friends to switch.

#34 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

That seems a bit high, but after I debugged all the gear I had drawing power when it was off, I saved 33% from last year. This was a super hot month, so its not an AC issue, it the real deal. I cut out nearly 200w to get that savings though. i'm sort of addicted to finding another 5w here and there. I have some new light fixtures to install at my office that go from 4 bulbs at 44w to 3 at 32w. That isn't 24/7 use though, so its not as powerful a savings though. Ditching one 622 was a big deal.

I'm really bummed the Hopper doesn't go to a 1-2w standby mode. i might put it on a timer to shut it off every night if I was confident that wouldn't create other problems. I still need to get rid of my 129 dish, but its been too hot to install the new mast.

I just switched out 1 922, 1 722, 2 622 and a 211 for 2 hoppers and 4 Joey's.
Looks like I'm saving 100 -110 watts according to my 3am usage from SCE. Translates to about $25 / month. This more than offsets the hassle of switching dishes and other hardware and I really like the Joey functionality. I have no hesitation to recommend friends to switch.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor

Protected By... spam firewall...And...