Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA reception vs satellite signal loss

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RBob

RBob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I have new 722 and 211k receivers and get good OTA signals from the locals with them.

Will I be able to see these channels in the event of total satellite signal loss due to heavy rain? Any magic button pushes to get past the usual signal loss message displays?

I was offered a few threads on this topic before posting, but the newest is 4 years old so I don't know if the comments there are still valid.

The weather forecasts suggest I'll be able to find out for myself later this evening, but I'd rather be prepared, especially the part about getting around the signal loss displays.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

If your signal is lost, you can go to the direct channel number for the your OTA signal by changing your TV channel to the channel number, example (CBS channel 14). Before doing so, you need to know what channel or input setting your TV is on to get your satellite signal. When you first turn on your HD TV, the input should be displayed. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I have new 722 and 211k receivers and get good OTA signals from the locals with them.

Will I be able to see these channels in the event of total satellite signal loss due to heavy rain? Any magic button pushes to get past the usual signal loss message displays?

I was offered a few threads on this topic before posting, but the newest is 4 years old so I don't know if the comments there are still valid.

The weather forecasts suggest I'll be able to find out for myself later this evening, but I'd rather be prepared, especially the part about getting around the signal loss displays.

Edited by Ray C@DISH Network, 14 June 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   RBob

RBob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

If your signal is lost, you can go to the direct channel number for the your OTA signal by changing your TV channel to the channel number, example (CBS channel 14). Before doing so, you need to know what channel or input setting your TV is on to get your satellite signal. When you first turn on your HD TV, the input should be displayed. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I was hoping to be able to use the OTA tuner in the 211k, since that's where the antenna is connected.

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

I did further research and it would be used in the same manner as if the satellite signal was not lost. You would go directly to the channel for your OTA signal. Let's say CBS was channel 14 and you have alternate CBS channels, 14.1, 14.2.. You can go to these channels from your guide. Thanks.

I was hoping to be able to use the OTA tuner in the 211k, since that's where the antenna is connected.

#5 OFFLINE   RBob

RBob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

I did further research and it would be used in the same manner as if the satellite signal was not lost. You would go directly to the channel for your OTA signal. Let's say CBS was channel 14 and you have alternate CBS channels, 14.1, 14.2.. You can go to these channels from your guide. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response; I was afraid the STB would get stuck if there was no satellite signal.

#6 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Would the recording function still work on those ota channels?

#7 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

If you are receiving signal, you'll be able to record. Thanks.

Would the recording function still work on those ota channels?

#8 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

I set up a favorites list of all my OTA channels. The guide can be accessed during the "searching for satellite" sequence, so I can easily get to the channels I want.

#9 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Usually when you get that "Signal Loss" message on the screen, changing the channel gets difficult. For me, I usually press menu, then guide an scroll down to one of the OTA channels (the ones in yellow) and select one.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Usually when you get that "Signal Loss" message on the screen, changing the channel gets difficult. For me, I usually press menu, then guide an scroll down to one of the OTA channels (the ones in yellow) and select one.

That is the only way it works on my VIP 612. You can't just pick a channel, it won't change.

spam firewall