Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722: Manual channel entry selects wrong format channel on TV2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RBob

RBob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

I have a newly installed 722 (not a 722k).

I have a small, old CRT TV in the kitchen as TV2, and have the favorites list for TV2 set to the SD versions of all subscribed channels.

If I'm simply scrolling through the channels, or select one from the guide, I get the correct SD channel.

However, if I manually enter the channel number through the remote, I'll always get the HD version of the channel if there is one.

Not a biggie, but strange.

[Did you know that CNBC and Fox Business actually have different screen layouts on their SD channels, favoring 4:3 displays, at least when the US markets are open?]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

When you setup a Favorites List, only the channels designated in the list are displayed. In your case you selected only SD channels and when you scroll through the channels only the ones selected are displayed.

When you manually input a channel number, if your preference is HD or HD & SD, it will select the HD channel first, even on TV 2. This is the reason you are seeing the HD channel when you manually input the channel number. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I have a newly installed 722 (not a 722k).

I have a small, old CRT TV in the kitchen as TV2, and have the favorites list for TV2 set to the SD versions of all subscribed channels.

If I'm simply scrolling through the channels, or select one from the guide, I get the correct SD channel.

However, if I manually enter the channel number through the remote, I'll always get the HD version of the channel if there is one.

Not a biggie, but strange.

[Did you know that CNBC and Fox Business actually have different screen layouts on their SD channels, favoring 4:3 displays, at least when the US markets are open?]

#3 OFFLINE   RBob

RBob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Preference? That sounds like something I saw when wandering through the various menus; I'll try to find it again.

Thanks!

When you setup a Favorites List, only the channels designated in the list are displayed. In your case you selected only SD channels and when you scroll through the channels only the ones selected are displayed.

When you manually input a channel number, if your preference is HD or HD & SD, it will select the HD channel first, even on TV 2. This is the reason you are seeing the HD channel when you manually input the channel number. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   RBob

RBob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I see now that you meant the top-level Preferences menu, not something deeper down.

Since the only selections in the guide format preferences are HD Only and HD and SD, I take it that I'll always end up on an HD channel (if it exists) when I enter a channel manually.

I'll just try to remember to add a couple of extra button pushes (channel up, down) after a manual entry, if I understand that right.

#5 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

Why not lock out the HD versions on the tv2 tuner?

#6 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

I watch the HD versions on my SDTV's all the time. The PQ is superb and I don't mind the letter boxing.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#7 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

Only remedy for this is to lock out the HD channels.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...