Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CA dish in AK for the summer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MojaveJoe

MojaveJoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Iam going to Nome, AK for the summer. I would like to ship up my 322 receiver and a twin LNB dish, like the ones I use RVing here in CA.

Is this feasible?

1) Will my 322 tuner and dish work just as well in AK, or do I need different equipment?

2) If I need to buy and use different equipment in AK, can I add the new tuner to my existing CA account for $5/mo service?

All advice and experiences welcome.
Thanx,
Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Alaska and Hawaii use a different size dish (larger, especially Alaska). The programming packages are different also. Using the setup you have here in the continental US wouldn't work. The receivers in Alaska must now be MPEG 4. The 322 is MPEG 2.

The dish installation for Alaska uses a 500AK dish picking up 119 and 129 satellites. For the 110 satellite, a wing dish is required. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Iam going to Nome, AK for the summer. I would like to ship up my 322 receiver and a twin LNB dish, like the ones I use RVing here in CA.

Is this feasible?

1) Will my 322 tuner and dish work just as well in AK, or do I need different equipment?

2) If I need to buy and use different equipment in AK, can I add the new tuner to my existing CA account for $5/mo service?

All advice and experiences welcome.
Thanx,
Joe

#3 OFFLINE   MojaveJoe

MojaveJoe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for that input Ray.
Just as I thought.

But, if I did get all new equipment at my rental in Nome, AK, would I be able to add the tuner/receiver to my existing CA Acct, and get the service as if it were just another receiver on my present acct?

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

The two locations would be associated with different accounts. The accounts are setup by the address and zip code. The California account would not match the address in Alaska.

We do have a service call Snow Bird where you have 2 addresses and you can activate the account when you are at that location. You would take your receiver from one location to the other. Thanks.

Thanks for that input Ray.
Just as I thought.

But, if I did get all new equipment at my rental in Nome, AK, would I be able to add the tuner/receiver to my existing CA Acct, and get the service as if it were just another receiver on my present acct?

#5 OFFLINE   MojaveJoe

MojaveJoe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Ray,
Good stuff to know.
Regards,
Joe

#6 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

You're welcome. If you have further questions or concerns, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks Ray,
Good stuff to know.
Regards,
Joe

#7 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

Ray, Couldn't he just upgrade his receiver here. Then do a dish mover to AK. Then in a few months do a dish mover back to CA..??? He really wouldn't have to do a dish mover back.. Because all the equipment will still be here.. But then go back to his locals in CA??? Thought this would be easier on him..

#8 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

With the Snow Bird account, the initial setup for the second location is handled as a Dish Mover to get the dish installed. Once there is a dish at each location, he would just take the equipment between locations and change addresses on the account when traveling between locations. He mentioned the Alaska location was a rental so I don't know if he would be at the same location each year or if this is a single excursion to Alaska. Thanks.

Ray, Couldn't he just upgrade his receiver here. Then do a dish mover to AK. Then in a few months do a dish mover back to CA..??? He really wouldn't have to do a dish mover back.. Because all the equipment will still be here.. But then go back to his locals in CA??? Thought this would be easier on him..

Edited by Ray C@DISH Network, 07 July 2012 - 01:44 PM.

spam firewall