Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-200 Video problem solved

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   maxlemke

maxlemke

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

I encountered video problems after the recent software download. The video looked like the video problems one had years ago in the tube TV's when the horizontal sweep would lose sync and the image was squeezed into unrecognizable image. After a series of calls and a lot of frustration I dropped Directv for Comcast. Other issues with Comcast convinced me to return to DirecTv. I received new equipment and the problem returned.

My old equipment;

HR21-700 HD DVR using external hard drive

Sony KDS-R70XBR2 TV

Denon AVR 3808 CI Receiver

New equipment;

HR24-200 HD DVR

Sony KDS-R70XBR2 TV

Denon AVR 3808 CI Receiver

After more phone conversations, decided to replace my HDMI cable. That did not fix the problem. I then reasoned that the problem must be software and it started with the original download to the old DVR. But the new one was not working either. So I researched the Denon receiver for software problems. That led me to connect the Denon to my router and download updated firmware. This download lasted about 75 minutes. The Denon turned itself on afterwards and the problem has not returned. It seems more of our devices these days are needing software updates.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

*gasp*...not DTV's fault
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

*gasp*...not DTV's fault

Shouldn't this post be retitled: "Denon AVR 3808 CI Receiver Video Problem Solved"?

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

We have to think that most of our electronics are computers, in one sense or another. The problem is sometimes it's hard to get them to release an update, some seem to stop after about a year if that long.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Denons, while terrific AVRs, are notorious for issues with incompatibility with newer HDMI versions, and a new firmware download is a common fix. I think that Denon is well aware that they have this tendency, so they make sure to be very responsive in putting forth updates in a timely manner.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...