Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No Longer Able To Watch KTLA (Los Angeles) On Dish Network In Medford, OR

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

This may be because we now get the local Medford, OR CW affiliate (Southern Oregon's The CW) on Channel 11 on Dish Network.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:39 AM

This may be because we now get the local Medford, OR CW affiliate (Southern Oregon's The CW) on Channel 11 on Dish Network.

Were you paying for it? If you were not, then you were only receiving it probably to fill in for the missing CW feed.

You should be able to add it to your account (online through myDISH) for $2 per month. According to Dish's Website here your still eligible to receive KTLA as well as all the other superstitions.

#3 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Shortly nobody will have Suoerstations. In 2004 KBCW in San Francisco asked Dish to turn KTLA in my zip code.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

We provided your area with CWs from other markets when a local CW was not carried. Now that we do offer a local CW from your own area we will no longer be offering those from other markets. This is being done to help keep costs down and ensure that DISH continues to offer the best value in pay-TV.

Local CW available is: KTVLD 11 If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Shortly nobody will have Suoerstations. In 2004 KBCW in San Francisco asked Dish to turn KTLA in my zip code.

Doubtless someone will see this post and we will see another rash of "the end of superstations" posts.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Were you paying for it? If you were not, then you were only receiving it probably to fill in for the missing CW feed.

You should be able to add it to your account (online through myDISH) for $2 per month. According to Dish's Website here your still eligible to receive KTLA as well as all the other superstitions.

I received the station at no additional cost initially in lieu of carraige of the local CW affiliate and did not subcribe to the superstations package.

#7 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

We provided your area with CWs from other markets when a local CW was not carried. Now that we do offer a local CW from your own area we will no longer be offering those from other markets. This is being done to help keep costs down and ensure that DISH continues to offer the best value in pay-TV.

Local CW available is: KTVLD 11 If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for the info.

#8 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Ray, does DISH provide the HD feed of KTVLD11? If not, is that something that may be added soon? Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I contacted 11 and got the impression that HD may be offered in a couple of years :) ... I guess Medford 48 (KFBI) is in the same ballpark :(

#10 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

Feb 2013 is the drop dead, carry all HD mandate from congress IIRC.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Feb 2013 is the drop dead, carry all HD mandate from congress IIRC.

Noting that the mandate ONLY covers the primary feed of stations that broadcast in HD in markets where other stations are carried in HD.

Neither DISH nor DirecTV will be required to carry every local HD feed in the nation. Some markets will remain SD only and if the HD feed is not the primary station feed it may or may not be carried.

In the case of KTVL, they are primarily a CBS affiliate with a CW subchannel.

#12 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Is there a place where we can look up what the status of all stations in a given market should be come 2/2013? I mean, we could open 100 different threads on whether or not "Market 'X'" should have "Channel 'Y'" in HD (personally, I'm wanting to see whether or not I'll get PBS in HD in the Boston market).

#13 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Dish's website under local channels. It searches by your address.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Is there a place where we can look up what the status of all stations in a given market should be come 2/2013? I mean, we could open 100 different threads on whether or not "Market 'X'" should have "Channel 'Y'" in HD (personally, I'm wanting to see whether or not I'll get PBS in HD in the Boston market).

The "should" is the difficult question. What channels are carried are listed on the DISH website (as well as my own - http://uplink.jamesl.../locallist.html ). But what should be carried under the agreement DISH made with the FCC?

The agreement covered commercial channels ... there was a dust up over PBS channels last year wanting an accelerated schedule for their carriage. I'm not sure if PBS is covered under the agreement without doing more research.

But, as a rule of thumb, if the station does not broadcast that feed OTA in HD I would not expect to see it on DISH in HD. DISH gets most of its local channels OTA and if they cannot receive a HD signal they cannot rebroadcast it. If it is broadcast in HD and isn't the primary signal on that station HD carriage is not required.

That being said, I expect DISH will do better that what is required of them under the agreement.

#15 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

Only Buckeye Cable and Time Warner Cable off the local CW in my area. DirecTV just gave us the Washington DC CW for free, do I have to pay the $2 for a superstation to get the CW in my area? I'm thinking of switching.

#16 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Only Buckeye Cable and Time Warner Cable off the local CW in my area. DirecTV just gave us the Washington DC CW for free, do I have to pay the $2 for a superstation to get the CW in my area? I'm thinking of switching.

When you go to the dishnetwork website select locals enter your zipcode it will tell you which channels you can receive with your subscription.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...