Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking about switching to DISH -- new equipment suggestions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

My local telephone and DSL provider has been taunting me with bundling Dish with the other services and get a $200 amazon gift card, plus save $5 off my monthly bill.

My latest 2 year commitment with Directv is now up and I am a free agent (I have been with D for 9 years).

So, I have been researching Dish products, but still have some questions:
1) I'm really liking what I read about the Hopper/Joey. This sounds like an excellent solution to my living room and Joey's going to the master bedroom and my son's bedroom. However, in the basement, I have a projector that only takes component video, and the Joey's don't have this. Will the 722 or 922 output both component and HDMI at the same time? (I pass HDMI through the wall to the playroom next to the home theater room)
1b) Do the 722 or 922 have RF remotes?

2) How many satellite-in lines are needed for the Hopper?

3) billing: If I go this route, it looks like $6 for DVR service, $4 for Hopper service, $7 for each Joey. What would be the additional charge for the 722 or 922?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

The Hopper has component and it can be setup at your projector with Joey's at the other locations. You cannot add any other type of receiver with the Hopper/Joey so adding a 722 or 922 will not work. Dish will come to set your dish and wiring and you will not be given the option of setting up yourself unless you buy the equipment. Some people don't mind doing this, but you lose the option of many deals and freebies that Dish may offer. Of course, depending on company you bundle with, you may lose some of these anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Currently with Dish it is an either/or situation. You cannot mix Hopper/Joey systems with the older Vip series stuff. I've read it is technically possible, but Dish won't allow it for whatever reason.

So if you go with a Hopper/Joey situation, then each set will need a box. In the case of your projector area, you might want to consider a 2 Hopper setup. On the Hopper, you can mirror the outputs as I understand it. Both HDMI and component are supposedly hot.

The downside is that currently the Hoppers cannot see each other but an update is promised that will allow for that, and someone has already reported seeing an early implementation that hasn't been released yet.

The Hopper/Joey represents the cheapest way to go with Dish.

If you want the older equipment, then the costs would be higher and no sharing of recordings is implemented other than the mirroring out on HDMI and component. It is also more expensive in equipment fees in general.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I currently have just one coax going to the home theater/projector room.

Is that sufficient for a Hopper?

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Yes

#6 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

I thought the coax for the Hopper needs a specific rating and not any old coax would work?

#7 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

My house is wired with RG6.

#8 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

I thought the coax for the Hopper needs a specific rating and not any old coax would work?

It needs to be rated to 3gHz. If the cable is less than 5 years old, it should be. The cable rating is usually printed on the cable itself.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of Dish Network.

#9 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

The coax feed from the dish to the Node must be RG-6 or better (Solo Node has 2 coax cables; Dual Node has 3 cables to Node). The coax to the Joeys can be RG-59 but can't exceed 200 feet. Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

The coax feed from the dish to the Node must be RG-6 or better (Solo Node has 2 coax cables; Dual Node has 3 cables to Node). The coax to the Joeys can be RG-59 but can't exceed 200 feet. Thanks.

For clarity ... the 200ft limit is Hopper to Joey, not Joey to node. If the Hopper is 100ft from the node a Joey connected to the node can only be 100ft away. Plus if more than one Joey is connected to the same feed from the node RG-6 is needed.

As the OP has RG-6 his wiring should be fine.

#11 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Currently with Dish it is an either/or situation. You cannot mix Hopper/Joey systems with the older Vip series stuff. I've read it is technically possible, but Dish won't allow it for whatever reason.

That was changed recently; they WILL allow H/J subs ONE purchased 211K on the same account:

Tailgater® Now Available for Customer Accounts with HopperTM!
One Purchased ViP® 211/k Receiver Allowed Per Hopper Customer Account – Effective June 7, 2012

With the summer season just arriving, customers want to camp, fish, and go on road trips – and they want to bring their DISH TV with them! Many of these customers may already have or want to purchase a Tailgater light-weight mobile antenna from DISH, while also enjoying the benefits of our recently launched Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR while at home.

With this in mind, effective June 7, 2012, all DISH customer accounts with a Hopper may also activate one (1) purchased ViP 211/k receiver on their account (limit one per account). In this way, they can have both a Hopper solution and a Tailgater (which requires a ViP 211/k receiver). Please keep in mind that this is the only exception to the rule that customer accounts with a Hopper configuration cannot also have other model receivers on the same account.

However, since only a purchased ViP 211/k receiver may be used with a Tailgater on a customer account that also has a Hopper, there will be no applicable Equipment Discount for the purchased ViP 211/k receiver.

http://www.satellite...tml#post2882443

#12 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'll be calling TDS tomorrow to sign up for Dish.

#13 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

My local telephone and DSL provider has been taunting me with bundling Dish with the other services and get a $200 amazon gift card, plus save $5 off my monthly bill.

My latest 2 year commitment with Directv is now up and I am a free agent (I have been with D for 9 years).

So, I have been researching Dish products, but still have some questions:
1) I'm really liking what I read about the Hopper/Joey. This sounds like an excellent solution to my living room and Joey's going to the master bedroom and my son's bedroom. However, in the basement, I have a projector that only takes component video, and the Joey's don't have this. Will the 722 or 922 output both component and HDMI at the same time? (I pass HDMI through the wall to the playroom next to the home theater room)
1b) Do the 722 or 922 have RF remotes?

2) How many satellite-in lines are needed for the Hopper?

3) billing: If I go this route, it looks like $6 for DVR service, $4 for Hopper service, $7 for each Joey. What would be the additional charge for the 722 or 922?

The cool thing about the Hopper&Joey system is you can add another Hopper for the same $7. mirror fee as a Joey and gain 3 more tuners,2 Hoppers would give you 6 satellite tuners.Joey's do not have their own tuner(s) each Joey uses a tuner from the Hopper.

The older VIP922 has the same $10. DVR fee as the Hopper,but the 922 has a builtin Slingbox.Where with the Hopper you will need the Sling Adaptor to Sling+ the HIC.The 922&722k can also accept the MT2,DISH's Dual Over The Air Tuners Module.The 922 has the new Channel Logo Guide and Menu Tiles like the Hopper,the 722k doesn't it has the older guide and Menu selection, but the 922 is not as quick to respond as the Hopper.An OTA USB Tuner Module is coming for the Hopper this summer.

With the 922&722k you would use the 211ks for the same $7. mirror fee as the Joey,but the 211ks have their own satellite tuner and over the air tuner too.The 211ks can be transformed into a DVR for a $40. fee with an EHD.
The 922 and 211ks can be linked using the DISH Sling Turbo Homeplug Adaptor,but this link is mainly for DISH Audit and PPV access for the 211ks.For the 922&722k it's for BlockBuster@Home and On Demand.

Well there it is DISH has alot of choices in receivers just like their programming packages,Welcome to DISH.:):welcome_s

#14 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Just signed up. Installer coming on July 4th (really?) in the morning. I may get a sling in the fall.

Now I have to go say goodbye to my friends on the DirecTV side of this forum.

spam firewall