Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Disappointing Charlie chat dish not leader HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   calikarim

calikarim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:34 AM

I am very disappointed in charlie and dish network. We are supposed to be leader in HD. No big marketing push for HD pvr 921. Direct Tv will have its out on time in 6 weeks. NOt enough 921's made give me a break. I was really disappointed to see Charlie respond to question on new HD channels, Bravo, Cinemax, and Stars, saying they are still in negotioation. Who is this programming VP who is always is negotiations? 6 months is what Charlie said for new channels. I am really thinking of switching to Voom . They will have 39 HD channels by next month. Dish is really loosing their edge. Even adelphia is strongly going after HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Frank Z

Frank Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:50 AM

He did bring up a good point though regarding HD content. So much of what's out there is not true HD, instead it is upverted standard def. Personnaly I'd rather see more True-HD programming. I've watched a few movies on HDMovies and the PQ isn't that great compared to HDNet's progamming, or even the CBS-HD programming.
We will never forget!:flag:

#3 OFFLINE   wmayo

wmayo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:51 AM

I have to agree with Calikarim. I believe in negotiating the best deal, but, not at the expense of becoming far behind in HD offerings.
Actually, I think last night did it. I was one of Dish's first customers. As soon as Adelphia finalizes contract with CBS (it's already online in beta test), I'm pulling the plug on Dish. I'll be using Adelphia for HD locals mainly (minimum package) and VOOM for, let's see ... East and West HD generally for Showtime, Starz, The Movie Channel, Disc. HD, and coming in Feb. HBO, ESPN, Cinema 10, and about 10 other specialty channels.
BTW - HDNet movies have been high PQ. The Music Man is just absolutely stunning. That is the only channel I'll miss (and that would be assuming it never arrives on VOOM).
I have to admit, Dish is the SD leader. Meanwhile, I'll keep my 6000 - not totally burning my bridges.

#4 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:57 AM

Don't know where you heard they don't have enough 921's made to supply demand but all information has been plenty to fill the pipelines once they think the bugs are soon to be minimized. This 921 release is no different than other robust receivers from E*. One month of controlled release followed by software updates followed by filling the pipelines. MY only complaint is that _I_ didn't get one sooner but that is me being self centered for once. I do understand the system and see it following historical practice.

Programming is a problem right now with Dish Network. The negotiation excuse has been used by DirecTv as they negotiated Showtime for 2.5 years! Now CE is using that excuse. At CES, I heard the same excuse. Is there an answer? If it is true that Networks like starz HD is purported to want more money than HBO and Showtime combined than CE is justified in holding out, same with DirecTV. VOOM gets it quicker because they have a more aggressive need and are charging their early adopters a huge sum per month as well. VOOM told me the starz channel HD will cost their subscribers $15 per month. Recall Discovery HD was at $8 on Dish and everyone complained. Why don't we hear the screaming from VOOM subscribers on their cost? Probably because the VOOM early adopters are all VOOM cheerleaders and the balance are indeed getting their money back. Let's wait until later summer to let the hype die off on VOOM and see how subscribers still like paying for the service. So, while I don't like waiting, I do respect that CE is trying to hold these programming providers to something the masses can afford. DirecTV too! If I can't stand it then I have the choice of paying the price through VOOM! Recall 2 years ago we didn't have any choices.

#5 OFFLINE   wmayo

wmayo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:14 AM

You're perspective is generally reasonable. I have to wonder, though, if Cinemax HD and The Movie Channel HD are asking as much as StarzHD. Is BravoHD so hot and high that it takes so many months and still no deal?
As far as Starz at $15 - I would get East and West for that while cable and Dish, etc. charge $13 for just East. I can hack the $2 (though I admit there's no advantage when one has an HD-PVR).
I admit, Dish could redeem itself in the longer haul, but they'd better really get going by, say, March 31 (VOOM deadline). I was really originally just "toying" with VOOM, but it's not impossible for my patience to run out with Dish, and ...

#6 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:42 AM

I think that there is a bandwidth crunch on 110 as far as HD is concerned. Charlie knows that Cinemax and Starz do not have nearly the subcribers as HBO and Showtime. If he devotes a transponder to them now, while they are not showing 100%, he might have to pass up on other HD channels such as TNT-HD that are soon to be unveiled.

Don't forget that if he adds Cinemax-HD or StarZ-HD, that the package price for those likely won't go up a cent. At least by adding TNT, Bravo, or something else to the existing HD package, Charlie can pocket those procedes since he likely gets most of the $$$ from the HD package.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#7 OFFLINE   Babnitoshi

Babnitoshi

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:52 AM

What is the status of the other major networks' HD programming on Dish - ie., ABC and NBC?

#8 OFFLINE   EchoDork

EchoDork

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:00 AM

As a general rule, Dish is interested in negotiating with any provider offering HD programming. As for networks, I think if another network approached Charlie with an offer and a reasonable price, he'd jump on it. When will that happen? Who knows.

#9 OFFLINE   rcbridge

rcbridge

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:10 AM

He doesn't claim to be the leader in HD anymore, I guess that was last years theme,
now it's the leader in BINGO!!!!! :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   dbdsac

dbdsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:21 AM

He did bring up a good point though regarding HD content. So much of what's out there is not true HD, instead it is upverted standard def. Personnaly I'd rather see more True-HD programming. I've watched a few movies on HDMovies and the PQ isn't that great compared to HDNet's progamming, or even the CBS-HD programming.

Frank Z-
I completely agree with you. Give me true HD, not uprezzed SD!

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:52 AM

Does Dish have to pay extra for Starz-HD and Cinemax-HD, or TMC-HD for that fact. There was another post that I saw, after last month's disappointing chat, where someone said they called Starz and asked if they charge providers extra to carry the HD channel, the answer was no.

#12 OFFLINE   cpdretired

cpdretired

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:01 AM

Does Dish have to pay extra for Starz-HD and Cinemax-HD, or TMC-HD for that fact. There was another post that I saw, after last month's disappointing chat, where someone said they called Starz and asked if they charge providers extra to carry the HD channel, the answer was no.

When you subscribe to any premium movie channel on C Band you receive the HD at no additional cost.

#13 OFFLINE   clapple

clapple

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:09 AM

I think that there is a bandwidth crunch on 110 as far as HD is concerned. Charlie knows that Cinemax and Starz do not have nearly the subcribers as HBO and Showtime. If he devotes a transponder to them now, while they are not showing 100%, he might have to pass up on other HD channels such as TNT-HD that are soon to be unveiled.

Don't forget that if he adds Cinemax-HD or StarZ-HD, that the package price for those likely won't go up a cent. At least by adding TNT, Bravo, or something else to the existing HD package, Charlie can pocket those procedes since he likely gets most of the $$$ from the HD package.

I agree the bandwith crunch is the real reason for no new HD; but I think Charlie would rather use it for locals.

Like almost everyone here, I want more HD; but what will bring more revenue to Dish? Locals have the potential to bring in lots of new subs. More HD would only please a relatively small number of existing subs, with little increased revenue.

Looks like an simple business decision, to me.
Red

#14 OFFLINE   Stosh

Stosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:12 AM

>I was really disappointed to see Charlie respond to question on
>new HD channels, Bravo, Cinemax, and Stars, saying they are
>still in negotioation.

I am a new member to this forum, and I am disappointed because all I seem to read here is whining and complaining. Are you really that interested in getting more HD channels that don't show HD programming? Face it - ESPN HD is almost a complete waste of time, because virtually all they show is distorted standard definition programming. If that is what you want, indeed, please do subscribe to VOOM - you'll be happy there, as you watch non-HD programming (which is about all they offer) on Bravo, Cinemax, and STARZ HD channels.

#15 OFFLINE   sampatterson

sampatterson

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:04 PM

I would rather have an upconvert channel more than the SD overcompressed channel and I am willing to pay for it. The HD upconverts are much better picture quality.

#16 Guest_Chris Walker_*

Guest_Chris Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:37 PM

Chaz needs to add some new channels to 100 and 150 more than he needs to add more HD. I mean how can he justify a price increase on 150 and Everything package when nothing has been added? Charlie and E* are obsessed with adding tons of locals and interactive games, and have ignored everything else lately. What gives?

#17 OFFLINE   lesmoss

lesmoss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:38 PM

Yes, ESPN-HD is better than the SD channel on Dish, but it is no better than my analog cable. Given the choice of 3 sources for the golf tournament last weekend, I watched it on analog cable, primarily because the quality of the picture was the same as HD and I prefer the "Natural Wide" expansion provided by my Pioneer TV to the simple stretch done by ESPN-HD.

Until they provide more HD content, Charlie should ditch it in favor of something with full time HD content.

I would rather have an upconvert channel more than the SD overcompressed channel and I am willing to pay for it. The HD upconverts are much better picture quality.

#18 OFFLINE   Five Hole

Five Hole

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:01 PM

What is the status of the other major networks' HD programming on Dish - ie., ABC and NBC?

I believe I heard Charlie say on the CC that Dish asked ABC and NBC to do something similar to CBS-HD but the networks refused.

#19 OFFLINE   dbdsac

dbdsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:14 PM

>I was really disappointed to see Charlie respond to question on
>new HD channels, Bravo, Cinemax, and Stars, saying they are
>still in negotioation.

I am a new member to this forum, and I am disappointed because all I seem to read here is whining and complaining. Are you really that interested in getting more HD channels that don't show HD programming? Face it - ESPN HD is almost a complete waste of time, because virtually all they show is distorted standard definition programming. If that is what you want, indeed, please do subscribe to VOOM - you'll be happy there, as you watch non-HD programming (which is about all they offer) on Bravo, Cinemax, and STARZ HD channels.

That is what I said in my post above...give me TRUE HD, not uprezzed SD.

In regards to ESPN-HD, granted most of their programming is unimpressive uprezzed SD, which I do not watch, but their live HD broadcast of professional sports is outstanding to watch! WOW!! To me, these broadcasts alone are worth the $10/month for the HD package. In addition, ESPN is building a brand new, state-of-the-art HD studio for future broadcasts. ESPN gets it and they are committed ($$$$) to the inevitable future of HD...just wait :)

#20 Guest_Earl Zuberbelt_*

Guest_Earl Zuberbelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:21 PM

I am very disappointed in charlie and dish network. We are supposed to be leader in HD. No big marketing push for HD pvr 921. Direct Tv will have its out on time in 6 weeks. NOt enough 921's made give me a break. I was really disappointed to see Charlie respond to question on new HD channels, Bravo, Cinemax, and Stars, saying they are still in negotioation. Who is this programming VP who is always is negotiations? 6 months is what Charlie said for new channels. I am really thinking of switching to Voom . They will have 39 HD channels by next month. Dish is really loosing their edge. Even adelphia is strongly going after HD.

So I have this all correct, you are saying DirecTV will have its product out in 6 weeks and on time?

How would you know that unless you have discovered some way to visit the future?

VOOM is a programmer built out of chewing gum a bailing wire. Wall Street is very wary of VOOM.

I couldn't wait for DirecTV, even IF they deliver on the goods in six weeks.

I guess we'll find out in six weeks, of course we expect a full report back from you as I know your system will be installed, up and running at your house on that six week time schedule!

-Earl
Yankee born Southern bred

Protected By... spam firewall...And...