Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv is turning my screen green, any help?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   abenjami

abenjami

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Here is my situation...

I have had Directv for years. I have 2 HD DVR's, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They are both somewhat newer boxes (HR-22 and an HR-23).

Everything has worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. All of a sudden, my living room TV screen turns green when I change channels. The audio stays fine but the screen only shows green. I can still see the images clearly, they are just all green, as if someone is holding a green piece of tint over it.

My TV is a Toshiba DLP. It's about 8 years old and seems to be running just fine. I don't have any problems with it except for this green screen thing. I am running an HDMI connection from the D* box to the TV.

When the screen turns green, I can fix it by either doing a red button reset or changing the input on my TV from the HDMI input to another input, and then back to the HDMI one. Obviously this fix is annoying every time I change channels.

I do not have any issues when using my PS3 on the same TV. And both D* boxes do not have this problem in the bedroom hooked up to a newer LCD screen.

At first, I thought maybe I had a bad cable. So I did a few cable swaps. No dice.

Then I figured it must be the D* box. I've already had one crap out on me and had to swap it out. So I swapped the living room box with the bedroom box. Again, no dice, still green screen whenever I change channels.

In other words, as far as I can tell, all of my equipment is just fine on its own. But all of a sudden i'm having a compatibility issue with Directv and my TV.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

It's probably the HDMI handshake issue in recent software versions that they are working on.

#3 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205600

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205047

#4 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

green/pink tinted screen = hdmi cable.....if not then try another rcvr if you have one to rule out the TV
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   abenjami

abenjami

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

green/pink tinted screen = hdmi cable.....if not then try another rcvr if you have one to rule out the TV

See my post... Already tried those options.

#6 OFFLINE   abenjami

abenjami

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. So basically it's a D* software issue and the fix is waiting for a new software release?

#7 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

ahhh my reading comprehension was a little low yesterday
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   gary s

gary s

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

We have a mitsubishi dlp tv, I believe, hooked up to dishnetwork that gets a green screen occasionally. A reboot of the tv by holding the power button in for about 10 seconds fixes it.

I don't know if your tv can be rebooted but I imagine it can. Don't know if yours would reboot the same way as ours, by holding the power button in, but you might try it or consult your manual or call toshiba to find out.

#9 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Does it happen every single time you change the channel? (if so, ack, that's awful.)

My DVR used to occasionally have the pink problem. One fix was to cycle through the resolution mode by hitting the RES button on the front of the DVR. But you don't want to have to do that every time you change the channel.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#10 OFFLINE   abenjami

abenjami

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Does it happen every single time you change the channel? (if so, ack, that's awful.)

My DVR used to occasionally have the pink problem. One fix was to cycle through the resolution mode by hitting the RES button on the front of the DVR. But you don't want to have to do that every time you change the channel.

Just about every time. Cycling through the resolutions sometimes works to fix it too. It's as if you have to do something to reset the HDMI handshake by changing resolutions, inputs, etc.

#11 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Try a RGB cable and see what happens.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

the fix should be coming very soon via a software download.

#13 OFFLINE   abenjami

abenjami

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Try a RGB cable and see what happens.

Works fine. No green screen.

#14 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

You may be able to turn off native and just have the receiver upscale everything to 1080i for now to help keep it from happening. Then you can turn native back on when the new firmware is out if it fixes it (assuming you prefer having native on, personally I dont' see enough of a difference in picture quality to deal with the longer channel changes).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#15 OFFLINE   abenjami

abenjami

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

You may be able to turn off native and just have the receiver upscale everything to 1080i for now to help keep it from happening. Then you can turn native back on when the new firmware is out if it fixes it (assuming you prefer having native on, personally I dont' see enough of a difference in picture quality to deal with the longer channel changes).

Tried that too and it didn't work. Sounded like a great idea too.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...