Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is this for real? If so why is there no "First Look"?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Never checked, but does DISH charge the same price per month for a Joey as a second full functioning receiver?

Yep, $7.

The answer is actually no Dish does not charge the same. A DVR is $10, Joey $7.
In addition a second or third three tuner Hopper is also only $7 if that was what was meant.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

The answer is actually no Dish does not charge the same. A DVR is $10, Joey $7.
In addition a second or third three tuner Hopper is also only $7 if that was what was meant.

How much does Dish charge for a non DVR receiver that isn't a Joey? I think that's what he was referring to, not comparing to a DVR fee.

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

No - wrong guess, it was really C30-700 by inspected spooled FW and acknowledged by DTV contacts.

Perhaps the model is just updated C30 and FW would be same as for HR21 and HR22.

I think the $50 bill placed purposely - it's hinted the box's price.

Well, It may be one off for a box in the wild. As far as I know, there are no C30s out there in use by customers, and unless they ship both, it was one off for a production model.

#24 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

hahaha "one off"
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#25 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

"it's one louder"
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#26 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

How much does Dish charge for a non DVR receiver that isn't a Joey? I think that's what he was referring to, not comparing to a DVR fee.

Ahh, yes. Then his answer was correct, $7 for a joey with a hopper, or $7 for a non DVR with a VIP system. Still worth noting instead of a Joey for that same $7 you can get an additional Hopper with three tuners. (Up to three on the account)

#27 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

that is about it - it's not so much larger than a deck of cards, hdmi, composite and digital audio connects

Actually it appears to be HDMI, "component" (through a proprietary 10 pin DIN to component AV breakout cable) and coaxial digital audio connects. ;)

#28 OFFLINE   jjschind

jjschind

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

So now we know that the c31 is out in the wild, when is rvu capability going to come to our computers and mobile devices?

#29 OFFLINE   jjschind

jjschind

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

Here are the pics so there's not too much strain on your fingers copying and pasting. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Ahh, yes. Then his answer was correct, $7 for a joey with a hopper, or $7 for a non DVR with a VIP system. Still worth noting instead of a Joey for that same $7 you can get an additional Hopper with three tuners. (Up to three on the account)

For the same $6 you could get another HR34 as well but they can see eachother.

There are plenty of threads of HR34 vs Hopper so if we're going to do any comparison in this thread let's compare the joey to this.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   jjschind

jjschind

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Another thing I want to know is that what are the other features of this device? Is it going to have access to youtube and pandora? Is it going to have Series Manager? Can you access locals if you only have an am21 hooked up to the hr34?

#32 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Actually it appears to be HDMI, "component" (through a proprietary 10 pin DIN to component AV breakout cable) and coaxial digital audio connects. ;)

Hdmi, 10 pin, usb, & coax digital audio. two buttons, power and reset

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#33 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

Another thing I want to know is that what are the other features of this device? Is it going to have access to youtube and pandora? Is it going to have Series Manager? Can you access locals if you only have an am21 hooked up to the hr34?

Without service you cannot use OTA so an RVU client wouldn't work either. RVU clients will access the menu's like it is the receiver.

HR34 does not have Pandora on it at the moment so the answer is no.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#34 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Size wise, it looks to be between a CCK and a W-CCK.

#35 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,838 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

If you search through the CES 2012 reports on dbstalk, you will find a post or two that the C30 was shown publicly but it was also disclosed it will never reach the market and ultimately the C31 was going to be coming out later this year.

Looks like it is arriving.

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

If you search through the CES 2012 reports on dbstalk, you will find a post or two that the C30 was shown publicly but it was also disclosed it will never reach the market and ultimately the C31 was going to be coming out later this year.

Looks like it is arriving.

With a speed of molasses ... the last photos shows a C31 box mfged in Dec'11.

#37 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

Glad to finally see one in the wild, or at least somewhere other than a trade show. I suppose this means that some people are out there testing them right now, possibly even a few here at DBSTalk, but they aren't allowed to talk about it.

I'm a bit disappointed there is no 1/8" IR input though. That would make it much nicer for hiding behind flatscreens, etc. I use Harmony remotes so having RF buit into it is worthless to me (if it even does).

I'm also suprised by the regular DirecTV remote being shown with it, I thought they were going to get the smaller remote without the color buttons?

The biggest things I'm still waiting to hear though are costs. Hopefully the $50 someone mentioned earlier is right. I also hope to hear that DirecTV will only charge $6/month for the first 3 on an account and let you have additional ones for free (since you can only use 3 at a time anyway).

With a speed of molasses ... the last photos shows a C31 box mfged in Dec'11.

You expect them to send it out without testing them for a while first? We already have all kinds of people here complaining that they shouldn't have released the HR34 when they did, or they should be testing the firmware more than they did. We've also got people reporting the Samsung RVU TVs don't work that great. Hopefully that means DirecTV is taking their time and making sure this stuff is going to work right before they release it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

You expect them to send it out without testing them for a while first? We already have all kinds of people here complaining that they shouldn't have released the HR34 when they did, or they should be testing the firmware more than they did. We've also got people reporting the Samsung RVU TVs don't work that great. Hopefully that means DirecTV is taking their time and making sure this stuff is going to work right before they release it.

I expected you and others know a difference between production's device (as we see on these twelve pictures) and test device.

#39 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

I expected you and others know a difference between production's device (as we see on these twelve pictures) and test device.

Yes I know the difference between test devices and production devices. But I also know that a lot of the time you make a short run of what you think is going to be the final production design and send those out into the wild with regular customers and have them test them for a while before you go to full production runs and wide realease.

We know that there are people here who were testing the HR34 before it's initial release in test markets that weren't able to talk about it until its release to the test markets (the people who worked on the first look). Are you saying they had test units and not production units? I find that hard to believe.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm saying it hard to believe such small program as involving DBSTalk ppl (how many ? 10 max ?) would be mainstream pre-production company's test program. I know and been in same 'box' but it always named as "usability" test group - those ppl selected outside of the company and partners and has third level influence to real decisions.

My main beef in seen PRODUCTION unit, with real mfg date, MAC address, serial number.
If you mentally 'stick' with FW features and bugs in your mind, I'm more attached to retail box what will be installed at customer's premises. And will have bugs at initial scale of deployment.

spam firewall