Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is this for real? If so why is there no "First Look"?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,153 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

Wow, that looks pretty small. It's not as long as the remote. Thanks for the info. Do they all come with a $50 in the box. :lol:

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Before the HR34-700 was born, the HMC30-700 existed internally with the C30-700.

I would assume the C31-700 would be the 2nd generation like the 34.

If people think the 34 is bad, think how awful the HMC30 had to be since it was never released. ;)

#43 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

I was common knowledge: HMC30 is the HR34. At least as I saw by spooled FW ...

#44 OFFLINE   slacker_x

slacker_x

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

Is there any reason that the H25's can't operate as RVU clients for the HMC? I only as as I have H25's and would love to be able to pause live TV on them. I have 3 TV's so even if I was watching things on the 3 tv's I'd still have 2 tuners to record things. The HMC seems wasted currently as the max I'm ever recording is 2 things and watching something else.

#45 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

Is there any reason that the H25's can't operate as RVU clients for the HMC?

Yes, the H25's don't have any RVU capabilities. The hardware needed for RVU isn't in the H25. Units either are RVU or they have their own tuner. There are no units that have both.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#46 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

Sure hope the person who posted that wasn't fired.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#47 OFFLINE   slacker_x

slacker_x

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Yes, the H25's don't have any RVU capabilities. The hardware needed for RVU isn't in the H25. Units either are RVU or they have their own tuner. There are no units that have both.

Thank you for explaining that its more than just software needed for RVU. I wish that they had the RVU's available when I signed up. Not that I'm complaining as the record/list/view works well enough when I want to pause the show I'm currently watching.

#48 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,027 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

It's not clear to me that RVU requires any specific "RVU hardware".

You may be correct, and a DirecTV RVU client may include some silicon for RVU, but it's not clear to me if it's required (for RVU specifically) or just accelerates the processing, or maybe doesn't exist at all.

My view has always been that an RVU client is "software", and just needs the proper hardware to properly run the code (performance wise).

And still holding out hope that someday we will see an RVU client for Windows and iOS.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#49 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

You may be correct, and a DirecTV RVU client may include some silicon for RVU, but it's not clear to me if it's required (for RVU specifically) or just accelerates the processing, or maybe doesn't exist at all.

My view has always been that an RVU client is "software", and just needs the proper hardware to properly run the code (performance wise).

And still holding out hope that someday we will see an RVU client for Windows and iOS.

That is support by existence of RVU in Samsung TVs.

#50 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

I thought I had read somewhere that a chip was required, could be wrong. If there's no hardware requirement why make a client box at all then instead of just using an H25?

If only the pics included a shot of the guts...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#51 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,027 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

I thought I had read somewhere that a chip was required, could be wrong. If there's no hardware requirement why make a client box at all then instead of just using an H25?

Probably $. Tuner-less boxes may be very inexpensive.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#52 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

Also probably energy savings (not having ot power the tuner). Probably less computing hardware/memory in it to since all of the GUI, guide, etc. is done on the HR34 and sent to the client.

Hopefully some day we will be able to buy Blu-ray players, TVs (other than Samsung), and boxes like Roku/Apple TV that will be certified RVU clients. Until then the C31 will fill a nice role allowing us all the functionality of having a DVR attached to any TV in a small box, not taking up uneccessary tuners, etc.

For my parents an HR34 and 7 C31s will be the perfect install assuming DirecTV only charges the $6/month for the first 3. If they want to charge for every single one then I doubt my parents will ever switch over to DirecTV unless I can put together some kind of home distribution system on my own. Just not worth paying $42/month in mirroring fees for the 7 C31s when they can only use 3 at a time, and there will be few times when more than 2 TVs are on at the same time anyway.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#53 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Sure hope the person who posted that wasn't fired.

Looks like the photos were taken down, so certainly someone has been "informed."
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#54 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Looks like the photos were taken down, so certainly someone has been "informed."

Yea...probably sitting in Mike White's office right now. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that one. :lol:

#55 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Close the barn door after the cows get out.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#56 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Close the barn door after the "Walkers" get out.

I fixed your post....I'm an AMC fan. :)

#57 OFFLINE   jjschind

jjschind

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Here are the pics once again.

Attached Thumbnails

• 857.jpg
  • 858.jpg
  • 859.jpg
  • 862.jpg
  • 864.jpg
  • 866.jpg
  • 861.jpg
  • 867.jpg

#58 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Masked serial numbers ? hehe - we got them stored in our history folders ... on each PC ;)

#59 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,106 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

Masked serial numbers ? hehe - we got them stored in our history folders ... on each PC ;)

More importantly, some of us figured out who the guy is and think its a very stupid idea to post pictures of unreleased consumer hardware if one wants to keep one's job. :rolleyes:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#60 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

He is an adult and should knew of any outcome in such consequences.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...