Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is this for real? If so why is there no "First Look"?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

I thought I had read somewhere that a chip was required, could be wrong. If there's no hardware requirement why make a client box at all then instead of just using an H25?

Probably $. Tuner-less boxes may be very inexpensive.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

Also probably energy savings (not having ot power the tuner). Probably less computing hardware/memory in it to since all of the GUI, guide, etc. is done on the HR34 and sent to the client.

Hopefully some day we will be able to buy Blu-ray players, TVs (other than Samsung), and boxes like Roku/Apple TV that will be certified RVU clients. Until then the C31 will fill a nice role allowing us all the functionality of having a DVR attached to any TV in a small box, not taking up uneccessary tuners, etc.

For my parents an HR34 and 7 C31s will be the perfect install assuming DirecTV only charges the $6/month for the first 3. If they want to charge for every single one then I doubt my parents will ever switch over to DirecTV unless I can put together some kind of home distribution system on my own. Just not worth paying $42/month in mirroring fees for the 7 C31s when they can only use 3 at a time, and there will be few times when more than 2 TVs are on at the same time anyway.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#53 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Sure hope the person who posted that wasn't fired.

Looks like the photos were taken down, so certainly someone has been "informed."
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#54 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 736 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Looks like the photos were taken down, so certainly someone has been "informed."

Yea...probably sitting in Mike White's office right now. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that one. :lol:

#55 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Close the barn door after the cows get out.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#56 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 736 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Close the barn door after the "Walkers" get out.

I fixed your post....I'm an AMC fan. :)

#57 OFFLINE   jjschind

jjschind

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Here are the pics once again.

Attached Thumbnails

• 857.jpg
  • 858.jpg
  • 859.jpg
  • 862.jpg
  • 864.jpg
  • 866.jpg
  • 861.jpg
  • 867.jpg

#58 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,255 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Masked serial numbers ? hehe - we got them stored in our history folders ... on each PC ;)

#59 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,177 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

Masked serial numbers ? hehe - we got them stored in our history folders ... on each PC ;)

More importantly, some of us figured out who the guy is and think its a very stupid idea to post pictures of unreleased consumer hardware if one wants to keep one's job. :rolleyes:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#60 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

He is an adult and should knew of any outcome in such consequences.

#61 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

You can do the same thing on the H25 by hitting RECORD,LIST,PLAY as far as trick play. So it boils down to saving DirecTv money at the subscribers expense?

When I tune to A channel on a c30 c31 whatever RVU I will automatically be able to rewind without

Clicking record, choosing receiver, list, then choose program, then click play

It's like having a DVR At every tv

#62 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,959 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Here are the pics once again.

I have a feeling that the damage was already done there. Hope nobody lost his job although...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

That's the price what our members pay for the privilege. Other places prefer 'brown-nosing' over a risk to lost they job when rush to inform us.
Some of them hiding in Ecuador's Embassy ...

Edited by P Smith, 22 June 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

I'll be ordering 2 or 3 of these when they become available.

#65 OFFLINE   aaronht3@yahoo.com

aaronht3@yahoo.com

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Sorry couldn't release that info.

#66 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Yes it is real. We just received at our warehouse last week. $50 for c-31. national rollout by September.
Sorry couldn't release that info.

That's why $50 bill been posed with the C31-700. :)

#67 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Does this need to be connected to a DECA setup in order to work, or can it just connect to the splitter (from a SWM dish)? I'm guessing this can't do OnDemand either, right? Just access/serve recordings from an HR34.

#68 OFFLINE   murpbrad

murpbrad

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

I'm set up to have an HR34 and three H25's installed in 2 weeks. I contemplated getting at least one HR24 instead of one of the H25's simply because I've been with Dish for so long and I really like being able to pause/rewind/resume live tv.

Will I be able to switch to these C31's when they become available or will I be charged a ton? Should I just wait until they are released before having my system installed?

#69 ONLINE   Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

I'm set up to have an HR34 and three H25's installed in 2 weeks. I contemplated getting at least one HR24 instead of one of the H25's simply because I've been with Dish for so long and I really like being able to pause/rewind/resume live tv.

Will I be able to switch to these C31's when they become available or will I be charged a ton? Should I just wait until they are released before having my system installed?

I'm sure you'll be able to switch to them when they're available to existing customers...probably for the full lease price of them, though. So $50 per unit (if that's how much they go for) plus shipping or installation and potentially a $50 upgrade fee depending on how new your account is. Plus a renewal of a two year agreement. (This is entirely speculation on my part, but it would make sense if D* treats them like normal receivers)
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#70 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,036 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'm hoping it's like a Nomad. $50, no contract. Would make them quite compelling.

#71 ONLINE   Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I'm hoping it's like a Nomad. $50, no contract. Would make them quite compelling.

Very much so! Perhaps, because after all it isn't a receiver? $50 is still a great price, though either way. Hopefully they won't be any more than that!
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#72 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,521 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Very much so! Perhaps, because after all it isn't a receiver? $50 is still a great price, though either way. Hopefully they won't be any more than that!

Just be advised though, a reasonable $50.00 purchase fee notwithstanding, there's still no real monthly price break with the C31 over having another HD-DVR.

Its still a $6.00 a month "Home Media Center" fee per C31 for at least the first three boxes.

#73 ONLINE   Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Just be advised though, a reasonable $50.00 purchase fee notwithstanding, there's still no real monthly price break with the C31 over having another HD-DVR.

Its still a $6.00 a month "Home Media Center" fee per C31 for at least the first three boxes.

Yeah, the only advantage is trickplay IMO (and they don't use a channel on the SWiM). You still pay an HMC Additional Client fee for each additional outlet. The disadvantage being (if it's like the Samsung RVU tv) you can only play what's on the HR34 and not any HD-DVRs on the network.
DirecTV Employee

#74 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,178 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, the only advantage is trickplay IMO (and they don't use a channel on the SWiM). You still pay an HMC Additional Client fee for each additional outlet. The disadvantage being (if it's like the Samsung RVU tv) you can only play what's on the HR34 and not any HD-DVRs on the network.

Another advantage is savings in power usage, no need for all those extra components like harddrives to be powered up and running 24x7.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#75 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,036 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Another advantage is savings in power usage, no need for all those extra components like harddrives to be powered up and running 24x7.

Disadvantage, uses up an HR34 tuner. At one point I was using all 5 once a week or so. Admittedly some of it could have been recorded during a re-air.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...