Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is this for real? If so why is there no "First Look"?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

If these units are like the joey units, or rvu clients, does it mean they don't tie up a swim channel? I guess my real question is if you could have these in use and exceed the tuner count for a swim setup. For example, could a swm 8 have 3 h2x's, HMC, and say 4 or so c31's? I know the cinema kits don't use up a tuner like a receiver so im curious if these do. I would assume it would be possible since you can have up to 6 rvu clients on an hr34. I guess I don't know if a swm 16 is required for a setup like that tho.

With a HR34 and 3 H2x's you would only need a SWM8. Adding on the C31's, as I understand it, would still keep you at a SWM8. The SWM8 is limited to 8 tuners. The C31's, being RVU clients, do not have tuners so they shouldn't count against the tuner limit for the SWM8.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,028 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

If these units are like the joey units, or rvu clients, does it mean they don't tie up a swim channel? I guess my real question is if you could have these in use and exceed the tuner count for a swim setup. For example, could a swm 8 have 3 h2x's, HMC, and say 4 or so c31's? I know the cinema kits don't use up a tuner like a receiver so im curious if these do. I would assume it would be possible since you can have up to 6 rvu clients on an hr34. I guess I don't know if a swm 16 is required for a setup like that tho.

The only things that use/tie up a SWiM channel are satellite tuners. Any device that uses DECA/MOCA such as RVU clients, which a C31 would be, does not use a SWiM channel.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#123 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

With a HR34 and 3 H2x's you would only need a SWM8. Adding on the C31's, as I understand it, would still keep you at a SWM8. The SWM8 is limited to 8 tuners. The C31's, being RVU clients, do not have tuners so they shouldn't count against the tuner limit for the SWM8.

- Merg

The only things that use/tie up a SWiM channel are satellite tuners. Any device that uses DECA/MOCA such as RVU clients, which a C31 would be, does not use a SWiM channel.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. Opens interesting possibilities.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#124 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

When using a C31 would it have the same slowness and poor remote response as the HR34 that it is attached to?
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#125 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

When using a C31 would it have the same slowness and poor remote response as the HR34 that it is attached to?

The only people who would know that are the people who may, or may not, be testing it and they aren't going to say anything.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#126 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

The only people who would know that are the people who may, or may not, be testing it and they aren't going to say anything.

I would guess it would be the same as using Samsung RVU?
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#127 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,028 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

I would guess it would be the same as using Samsung RVU?

It just seems logical that the peformance of a RVU client off a HR34 would be the same or a but slower then the same function locally on the HR34. Remember the HR34 is doing all the work, all the client is just telling the TV what video/audio to display.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#128 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

I hope the C31 would be owned units for around $50. I wonder if D* would think about the next version of the HMC, maybe they could have one with 8 tuners just to top dish's current promotion of recording 6 shows at once during primetime. I would like to see some sort of trade in program, I would trade in my 2 HDDVRs for a HMC and a C31.
my setup here

#129 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

I hope they are owned for $50 as well since Apple TVs go for about $100 and aren't tied to any service. The Apple TV 2 was $60ish to build and has 8GB Flash memory buffer which the C31 won't need or will require less than 1GB.

http://www.computerw...sts_64_to_build

Protected By... spam firewall...And...