Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH throws installer under the bus

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I currently have Direct, but wanted to try Dish, so I signed up online. The installer came out, walked around the house and stated No Line Of Sight due to tree's. We said our Goodbye's....

Two days later, "someone" from Dish called me and said "that" installer was no good, and said we could do a pole install. He stated he had "talked" to the installer, and found out he didn't do a good job. I told him, the installer said pole would not work. The caller said he was looking at my order/credit info, and said a pole would work. I told him I would think about it. While talking, he hung up on me!

I fully understand that he really wanted my install, but am wondering if this caller was really from the Dish main office, or a contractor? Hanging up on me while I was talking is unforgiveable...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Sounds like both may be from same office. I would believe both are from Independent contractor as a Dish employed installer would have explained about the pole and reasons he would not be allowed to install one due to their rules which independent contractors do not have to follow. First one didn't want to do the job, second one will charge you extra to get the job done.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

I apologize for the rude behavior of the caller when speaking to you. Would you provide the account number or phone number to me in a PM that was associated with your work order, I would be happy to determine if that was a contractor or a DISH technician? Please let me know. Thanks.

I currently have Direct, but wanted to try Dish, so I signed up online. The installer came out, walked around the house and stated No Line Of Sight due to tree's. We said our Goodbye's....

Two days later, "someone" from Dish called me and said "that" installer was no good, and said we could do a pole install. He stated he had "talked" to the installer, and found out he didn't do a good job. I told him, the installer said pole would not work. The caller said he was looking at my order/credit info, and said a pole would work. I told him I would think about it. While talking, he hung up on me!

I fully understand that he really wanted my install, but am wondering if this caller was really from the Dish main office, or a contractor? Hanging up on me while I was talking is unforgiveable...

#4 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

Sounds like both may be from same office. I would believe both are from Independent contractor as a Dish employed installer would have explained about the pole and reasons he would not be allowed to install one due to their rules which independent contractors do not have to follow. First one didn't want to do the job, second one will charge you extra to get the job done.

Just out of curiousity, what dish rules would prohibit a pole install?

thanks

#5 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

So if a pole install is required, that means an extra charge. Hmmm, never thought about that aspect. We have many dish poles in our area, never thought these installs were "extra" to the subscriber.

#6 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

So if a pole install is required, that means an extra charge. Hmmm, never thought about that aspect. We have many dish poles in our area, never thought these installs were "extra" to the subscriber.

From Dish website under standard professional installation:
"Dish will be mounted on outside wall, balcony or roof to achieve best line of sight (dish must generally face to the south).
Dish will be mounted on pole (up to five feet) if necessary. A second appointment would be required after utility lines are marked."
Standard Professional Installation
Pole plus up to 50' cable trenching is part of the standard installation technicians are paid to do by dish. You should not be charged for this, and as far as the "second appointment" is concerned, if you as the customer dig the hole for the pole you should be able to get it all done same day.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

"Dish will be mounted on outside wall, balcony or roof to achieve best line of sight (dish must generally face to the south).
Dish will be mounted on pole (up to five feet) if necessary. A second appointment would be required after utility lines are marked."
Pole plus up to 50' cable trenching is part of the standard installation technicians are paid to do by dish. You should not be charged for this, and as far as the "second appointment" is concerned, if you as the customer dig the hole for the pole you should be able to get it all done same day.

The reason for the second appointment is due to underground utilities protection rules. After the first day you will have a functioning system with the wires temporally above ground. You cannot trench until the utilities protection service is called in and flagged your property.

If the customer decides to trench on his own he takes responsibility should a utility line be struck.

The rules vary by state, but with so much underground utility lines in use it's better to be safe than sorry.

BTW: In Ohio it's the contractor who has to call the utilities protection service. A few years ago I had an argument with a Dish technical rep on the phone who insisted I call OUPS (Ohio Utilities Protection Service). I reluctantly called OUPS who confirmed what I already believed - that it was the dish installer who needed to call OUPS. The local installer knew this - it was the out of state E* employee who did not believe me and insisted I call OUPS before he scheduled the installer.

Edited by Michael P, 16 June 2012 - 09:00 PM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Well, that's interesting, when I had direct, the pole install was 75$. I do not know if that has changed. When I talked to Direct about the cost, they said an installer could charge anywhere from 45-75$. I had to bury my own cable as well. Since it was in my backyard, there was no issue of utilities, and everything was done in one day. The actual pole install was pretty simple,dig a hole about 18" [give or take], a bag of quickcrete, a half a bucket of water, insert pole with expansion attachment at base, fill hole back up, check with a level. certainly not worthy of 75$. [ under 20 minutes to do this]

If Dish does this at no extra charge, yet another reason Dish rules!

Edited by satcrazy, 17 June 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Well, that's interesting, when I had direct, the pole install was 75$. I do not know if that has changed. When I talked to Direct about the cost, they said an installer could charge anywhere from 45-75$. I had to bury my own cable as well. Since it was in my backyard, there was no issue of utilities, and everything was done in one day. The actual pole install was pretty simple,dig a hole about 18" [give or take], a bag of quickcrete, a half a bucket of water, insert pole with expansion attachment at base, fill hole back up, check with a level. certainly not worthy of 75$. [ under 20 minutes to do this]

If Dish does this at no extra charge, yet another reason Dish rules!

Just because it's your backyard does not mean there are no utilities to protect. Last year I discovered that 200 landlines were running across my property through my backyard. AT&T had to dig a hole in my yard and install a pedestal.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Just because it's your backyard does not mean there are no utilities to protect. Last year I discovered that 200 landlines were running across my property through my backyard. AT&T had to dig a hole in my yard and install a pedestal.

I agree. I know where the gas line and an unmarkable electric line are buried ... and I have a chart somewhere telling me where the septic field is ... but if one has never had a professional utilities locator on property one should not assume that there isn't something else there.

It is abandoned now, but I have an old intercity telephone trunk cable under part of my property. Cut that and the entire city could have been without phone service (outside of the local switch).

#11 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

If you'll sell some service ( prevent damaging the cable by detracting shrew moles ) over your yard for the 200 houses on monthly based contract ...:eek2:

#12 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Well, I know where the utilities are, but I am NOT encouraging anyone to go out in their yard and dig aimlessly.

You are correct, check first.

Does AT&T have right of way [ easement] or do they owe you royalties:lol:

#13 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

In summary, if you want it done right the first time and suspect you need a pole, call dig-line before your install date and have the utilities marked in the obvious areas...

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

How far down do you really think a satellite installer is digging?
About 6 inches MAX on the Wire, more then likly 2 feet on the pole.

If you hit powerlines and communications line at 6 inches then you guys have a serious problem. I've yet to see Directv or Dish pull up with a Truck pulling a backhoe for a pole mount.

In ground power lines are 4-8 feet in the ground.
I doubt any of of these Tech go more then 2 feet of concrete on the pole.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#15 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

How far down do you really think a satellite installer is digging?
About 6 inches MAX on the Wire, more then likly 2 feet on the pole.

If you hit powerlines and communications line at 6 inches then you guys have a serious problem. I've yet to see Directv or Dish pull up with a Truck pulling a backhoe for a pole mount.

In ground power lines are 4-8 feet in the ground.
I doubt any of of these Tech go more then 2 feet of concrete on the pole.

I watched it being done. It was less than 2 feet, seriously. When I buried the cable, you are really close, it was 6-8 inches. Thats it. Never had a issue.

My electric is not underground, just water sewer and gas, and that is all street side. Phone lines are at the pole with the electric. If you live in a new neighborhood, I would definitely check as most everything is now underground.

#16 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

Well, that's interesting, when I had direct, the pole install was 75$. I do not know if that has changed. When I talked to Direct about the cost, they said an installer could charge anywhere from 45-75$. I had to bury my own cable as well.

It varies by installer. My install from DirecTV included pole and burial of 100 feet of cable, all free.

Possibly it varies by contractor for Dish as well.

#17 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

It varies by installer. My install from DirecTV included pole and burial of 100 feet of cable, all free.

Possibly it varies by contractor for Dish as well.

Well, looks like I got hosed.

Did you have to have the utilities come out and check for anything underground?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...