Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTv bait and switch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robertpil

robertpil

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

I ordered an R22 receiver from DirecTV website on this past thursday to put in the downstairs den. I specifically wanted the R22 because I am used to the new GUI and for the fact that it had an ethernet port. I rceived today from FEDEX an R16-300 which uses the old blue and white GUI and does not have an ethernet port. I called DirecTV right away and asked them about the R22 I ordered and was told the R22 was discontinued and if I wanted the etherbnet port I would have to subscribe to HDTV. I have the old 18" STD dish on the roof and I do not want more holes put in the roof so that is not an option plus I do not want to pay $10 more a month. How could they just switch my order like that without even contacting me. Now I am stuck with a box I do not want and I used up my Free upgrade. I do not like the blue/white interface. I need the ethernet port for the DirecTV cinema and for the Widgets.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

DirecTv does not guarantee any specific model (except HR34) nor do they have any model numbers listed on their website ordering. Now, you may have looked at a PICTURE of the R22 on the order page, but somewhere around the picture it says "model may vary" or some such.

Just return the R16 without activating it, and you should not be on the hook for it.

As for wanting the latest bells and whistles on your DVR, you get what you pay for. If you want to play, you need to pay...but they will waive the HD charges for a year usually, if you request it when you order (via phone).

And you do not need the dish replaced to use an HD box (other than the H25 and HR34). The others will happily work on the 18" dish. You just wont get any of the channels that are not located on that satellite.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

I ordered an R22 receiver from DirecTV website on this past thursday to put in the downstairs den. I specifically wanted the R22 because I am used to the new GUI and for the fact that it had an ethernet port. I rceived today from FEDEX an R16-300 which uses the old blue and white GUI and does not have an ethernet port. I called DirecTV right away and asked them about the R22 I ordered and was told the R22 was discontinued and if I wanted the etherbnet port I would have to subscribe to HDTV. I have the old 18" STD dish on the roof and I do not want more holes put in the roof so that is not an option plus I do not want to pay $10 more a month. How could they just switch my order like that without even contacting me. Now I am stuck with a box I do not want and I used up my Free upgrade. I do not like the blue/white interface. I need the ethernet port for the DirecTV cinema and for the Widgets.

There is no way to order specific model receivers other than the HMC. R22 has been discontinued, if you ordered a sddvr, you receive a sddvr, R16 or R15. If you want the specific features you mentioned, you will have to get a HDDVR.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

How are you used to the HD GUI when you don't subscribe to HD & have an 18" dish?

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

If you must have an R22 you can order one from Solid Signal.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

PICTURE of the R22 on the order page, but somewhere around the picture it says "model may vary" or some such.

Yeah it says it right under the pics
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#7 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

SEND IT BACK

return receipt
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#8 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

if you ordered a sddvr, you receive a sddvr, R16 or R15.

NOT if you are in an MPEG4 locals market; in these cases, it will always be an HR2x... ;)

How are you used to the HD GUI when you don't subscribe to HD & have an 18" dish?

Because since the R22 IS considered (software-wise) an HD DVR, it gets/got the HD GUI upgrade, just like any other HR/H box did. If you do NOT have HD access on your account, the GUI stays exactly the same - but is simply downconverted to 480P. (the box is locked down to 480P & CANNOT be changed) This is actually NO different than how it works for SD-only subs in MPEG4 local markets; they ONLY get HR/H series receivers, & hence ALL get the same HD GUI, downconverted to 480P.

Edited by dishrich, 16 June 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   robertpil

robertpil

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

I have an original R22-100. I was one of the testers that received a prototype (pre-release) to try out and to send information back to tech support about any issues.

#10 OFFLINE   robertpil

robertpil

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

If you must have an R22 you can order one from Solid Signal.

Just ordered from Solid Signal. Thank you for the information. Directv is taking back the R16. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...