Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why can HR34 support multiple remote views but not the HR24

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Why can the HR34 support multiple remote viewings, but the HR24 only supports one? Is it hardware or software? What does the HR34 have that the HR24 not?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   infoteknerd

infoteknerd

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

I think that it might have something to do with the fact that the HR34 has 5 tuners, while the HR24 only has 2.

Say you have 1 TV remotely connected to the HR24, that means that if someone is watching TV you would no longer be able to record a show in the background.

With the HR34 all 3 RVU can be used, and you still have 2 tuners available for the box itself (1 person watching, and 1 more show recording in the background, or 2 shows recording in the background)

I could be wrong, been away from DTV for a year, coming back on Tuesday :D

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

RVU is different. If you have DirecTV receivers, you can watch 3 different things remotely, one more recorded locally and record 5 things at the same time. Using a Samsung RVU TV or a C30 or whatever it will be called, that would use a tuner. Overall, the hardware and software are different compared to the 24, CPU etc.

#4 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'm not sure the OP is asking specifically about RVU as the HR34 can support multiple MRV streams as well. As mentioned, the CPU is different, but it's likely more to do with calling the HR34 a "Whole Home Media Center." You can't very well call it that and not have more than one stream :lol:

I'd bet the HR24 could do more than one, but then it would no longer be "equivilent" to the other HR2X receivers. I'd hate to see an HR21 try serving 3 streams at once...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'm not sure the OP is asking specifically about RVU as the HR34 can support multiple MRV streams as well.

And the HR24 doesn't support RVU at all. Just some terminology confusion I think.

#6 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Perhaps from a layman's perspective. . .

The HR34 is a NEW design implementation to facilitate a whole home central receiver feeding streams to multiple remote clients that may or may not have built in (sat) receiver capability. Think of it as a standard DVR bundled with 3 additional HD receivers in the same box that share the hard drive.

The HR24 on the other hand is an evolution to a platform that is in essence a 5 or 6 year old design that only recently has been updated to distribute its content to a single remote client that has built in (sat) receiver capability.

Even if the HR24 could be firmware uplifted to run RVU it's 2 tuners could not be leveraged to service remote clients lacking sat tuners or it would lose its own primary function as a DVR. It maybe could support an additional MRV stream but then it would be inconsistent with the rest of the HR2x series DVRs and therefore fall out of the same pricing and service models.

Don "hope I didn't muddy that up too much there" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

No, I think you nailed it, Lug. Its a simple matter of concept. They have different task goals, and therefore different software and hardware design goals, and therefore different software and hardware capabilities. They are cousins; two unique platforms for two different yet related purposes, with largely different prices accordingly, rather than siblings such as the HR20 and HR21 which are two different conventional DVR models targeting the same basic tasks.

Now all we need is a Hopper/Joey to round out the family :D.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

And to clarify, when someone is watching a show remotely from a HD-DVR, that does not use up a tuner. You can still record 2 separate shows and watch a show remotely (and locally) and download a VOD all at the same time.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall