Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV 2012 Olympics coverage

• Please log in to reply
506 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

I just checked the guide and it shows 3D coverage of the opening ceremonies on channel 103 but it isn't showing until Saturday morning -- BOO!!!!!

Of course. We've known for a while now that 3D coverage will be on tape delay until the next day. It will not be live.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

I wonder though if it was one of those ideas a little before its time. It was over $100 for 3 channels that while yes they were running non stop, there were no DVRs to record what you really want to see if at work or asleep, there were no out if market sports packages if I recall that would desensitize people to it, and the average persons bill with HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime was what? $40? I'm not an olympics person at all. Am interested in nothing, will watch only what my wife forces me to watch, etc. But I think olympics on ppv like they did 20 years ago could work if priced right now.

That's exactly what the problem was. I think at the time, the theory was why should I pay for something I already get for free? The product was absolutely a great idea, but the marketing of it is what killed it. A lot of folks say it was the best coverage they ever saw of sports like track & field and gymnastics because it was live, in full, and commercial free. Definitely an idea ahead of its time, just not something people should have had to pay top dollar for. The pay-per-view model for sports beyond one off events like wrestling or boxing matches (and how relevant is that sport now) doesn't work anymore. So I don't think we'll see it again for something like the Olympics. Better to drive that type of coverage towards online where NBC doesn't have to charge and hopefully for them can start generating some revenue there.

I just checked the guide and it shows 3D coverage of the opening ceremonies on channel 103 but it isn't showing until Saturday morning -- BOO!!!!!

The 3D coverage from London is following almost exactly the same formula as the HD coverage from Athens. It'll be on tape the next day and packaged together.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#363 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Yeah 3D coverage is a day delayed. Not entirely sure why, probably has to do with feed coming from London to the U.S. or something.... as the Sky Sports 3D will do 3D live within England.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#364 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

That's exactly what the problem was. I think at the time, the theory was why should I pay for something I already get for free? The product was absolutely a great idea, but the marketing of it is what killed it. A lot of folks say it was the best coverage they ever saw of sports like track & field and gymnastics because it was live, in full, and commercial free. Definitely an idea ahead of its time, just not something people should have had to pay top dollar for. The pay-per-view model for sports beyond one off events like wrestling or boxing matches (and how relevant is that sport now) doesn't work anymore. So I don't think we'll see it again for something like the Olympics. Better to drive that type of coverage towards online where NBC doesn't have to charge and hopefully for them can start generating some revenue there.

The 3D coverage from London is following almost exactly the same formula as the HD coverage from Athens. It'll be on tape the next day and packaged together.

Oh I'm not arguing the model now. It may work best. I just think if they did try this again and charge say $99 for the 3 channels it'd get more takers with DVRs that can automatically record what they want (pending the info was loaded in the coverage channels and not "Olympics Triplecast"), people won't bat an eye at $99 for the price since the average persons bill now is around $100 anyway, and seeing prices for sports packages of $250 and $300 each.

#365 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Does nbcolympics.com have archives of the events? I realize that the site only claims to stream every event, not archive, but I was just wondering why I can't watch today's archery competition online.

#366 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Does nbcolympics.com have archives of the events? I realize that the site only claims to stream every event, not archive, but I was just wondering why I can't watch today's archery competition online.

They do keep archives, I was able to pull up the Brazil vs Egypt game last night after I had seen the first half on TV but had to leave. WHAT a game that was! Egypt's comeback was pretty good.

I don't know how much time after the live event they will post them though. Could be a few hours, I don't know.

I also don't know if they archive ALL sports. I thought they did, so maybe just wait a while longer.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#367 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

3. Still no. You have live online streaming of every event. You want it as it happens, that's an option. Primetime cannot be turned into a highlights show. It needs to be full of first run events, even if they're delayed. Everyone does not know all the results and even if they do, I think you're still over-estimating how many people consider it 'ruined.' The Olympics are about more than just the popular sports.. they only need to be shown once and they're better served in primetime when people are in front of their televisions, not in the middle of the afternoon when they're not, especially during the week. And if you think knowing the results ruins the primetime viewing experience, imagine how much it's going to ruin it if people know the results AND all the video they're watching has been shown already. That's not how you draw people in, especially for a 17-night event.
4. In your scenario, you can't do that since you now want to take away coverage of those sports in the afternoon to show events you're already going to have in primetime. Not your best use of hours there.
5. I'm not all that familiar with BBC's streaming, but I've heard it's pretty solid. Yes, NBC could use some improvement on that front, but considering they went from very little streaming in 2010 to everything streamed in 2012, I'll still call that progress.

Actually, primetime already feels like a highlights show. The sports that are run in primetime, all of them are filled with side stories and the actual events are reduced to show American athletes (and I do want them to show American athletes) but they cut a majority of the action that is going on with non american athletes. The problem with your argument is that you assume NBC is full of first run events in primetime when they are not. They are full of tape edited, not showing the whole spectrum of the games.

The model that I suggested is a step further to keep everybody happy and still draw viewers. Understand that only a small portion of the Olympic events are finals or medal events, most of the olympic events are actually qualifying rounds. You can fit into the schedule the finals of the most popular events live on TV by dedicating a specialty channel and they can still keep their primetime model on NBC. The only difference here is that you are now given a chance as a sports fan and as an american viewer to watch the most important moments of the Olympic events live on TV.
But you may say, well, this is already been done with the online coverage. But you see, the online coverage does not give you the ultimate experience. The current online coverage is a feed with no commentaries (not that I like some of these commentaries, but you still need someone to run the show, it's like having a party with no DJ). One can also make the argument that the online feed is not as appealing and practical in terms of the HD viewing experience as watching television channel. Although people are capable of turning their computer into a 65 inch HD display in decent quality, there are several things that the end user will need to be ready for in order to accomplish that. So it is not a practical idea when there are millions of fans.

#368 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Today's archery was not televised by ANYONE, which is why it is not archived. Can't blame NBC for this one since there wasn't a world feed produced.

All events will be archived, however events that are being shown in primetime will be streamed live but the archive will not be available for those events until after the primetime broadcast.

#369 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Today's archery was not televised by ANYONE, which is why it is not archived. Can't blame NBC for this one since there wasn't a world feed produced.

All events will be archived, however events that are being shown in primetime will be streamed live but the archive will not be available for those events until after the primetime broadcast.

See this video for a little more explanation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19010407

This event was a "seeding" event, basically deciding which athletes will play against which athletes in the actual games. The public was not allowed in, no spectators, no cameras. I didn't know this, and as you can see from the video, neither did a good many people who just decided to show up. :D

I am the Stig.

#370 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Can someone please list or link to a list of the channels and channel numbers that will have Olympic events for DirecTV? I want to set up my Olympics channels list.

#371 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Can someone please list or link to a list of the channels and channel numbers that will have Olympic events for DirecTV? I want to set up my Olympics channels list.

The marquee events will be on whatever channel your local NBC is at.

237: Bravo
355: CNBC
356: MSNBC
406-407: Telemundo (Spanish)
603: NBC Sports Network
751: soccer channel
752: basketball channel

Go to http://www.nbcolympi...ngs/index.html# to find out what events are on each particular day.

For example, tomorrow
Bravo shows tennis from 4:00 am until 12:00 noon
CNBC (355) airs Olympics from 12:30pm until 3:30 pm
MSNBC (356) airs Olympics from 4:00 am until 2:00 pm (PDT)
603 will be showing sports from Midnight (PDT) all the way through 5:00 pm (PDT).
Soccer (751) airs from 4:00 am until 5:00 pm
Basketball (752) air from 1:00 amuntil 4 pm

And NBC airs Olympics from 4:00 am through 5:00 pm (PDT), then a prime time show (featuring the first Phelps/Lochte battle) at 7:00 PDT. I have no idea how these times change for you East Coast people.

Edited by gusmahler, 27 July 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#372 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thank you!

#373 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

And from some of the movements Sixto has seen, it is very possible that somewhere today, these networks will get a channel remap to the 750s, so they are all grouped together.

They did this in 2008, Sixto spotted some action on all the NBC networks, DirecTV just seems to be dragging their feet re: any announcements. The Soccer/Basketball channels aren't even announced on their website!

I am the Stig.

#374 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

The BBC iPlayer will stream the opening ceremonies live in HD in two varieties - with and without commentary.

#375 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,189 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

And from some of the movements Sixto has seen, it is very possible that somewhere today, these networks will get a channel remap to the 750s, so they are all grouped together.

They did this in 2008, Sixto spotted some action on all the NBC networks, DirecTV just seems to be dragging their feet re: any announcements. The Soccer/Basketball channels aren't even announced on their website!

Yes, I will be checking 750/1 often later today. I still bet they come through with an HD mix channel, though I'm down to even money from very high odds that they would.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#376 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Actually, primetime already feels like a highlights show. The sports that are run in primetime, all of them are filled with side stories and the actual events are reduced to show American athletes (and I do want them to show American athletes) but they cut a majority of the action that is going on with non american athletes. The problem with your argument is that you assume NBC is full of first run events in primetime when they are not. They are full of tape edited, not showing the whole spectrum of the games.

Yes, that's still first run when you haven't seen the video yet, even if you know the results. This isn't a football game or a golf tournament. A 2-minute swim race where you know the results is a lot different than a 3-hour football game that you knew the final score to. That's why I'm saying you can't show everything earlier and then repeat it in primetime because then it's no longer first run. And if you think primetime is already a highlights show (which in some ways it is), then what's to change about it? They have to edit it down somehow. There's a lot of dead time during Olympic events, so that editing almost helps to make it more compelling, even if it cuts out a lot of competitors. But again, if you want these events in full (and you get them largely without interruption), you have that option now. That's how you satisfy both fanbases.. those who want constant action and those who are in it for the storylines.

But you may say, well, this is already been done with the online coverage. But you see, the online coverage does not give you the ultimate experience. The current online coverage is a feed with no commentaries (not that I like some of these commentaries, but you still need someone to run the show, it's like having a party with no DJ). One can also make the argument that the online feed is not as appealing and practical in terms of the HD viewing experience as watching television channel. Although people are capable of turning their computer into a 65 inch HD display in decent quality, there are several things that the end user will need to be ready for in order to accomplish that. So it is not a practical idea when there are millions of fans.

That's the whole point though.. NBC thinks (and I'm planning on doing this myself) that you'll watch the live feed and because it lacks context, you'll check it out again in primetime.

You have to remember.. NBC's goal is to get you to consume as much of the Olympics as possible. If they're showing their best stuff in the afternoon, is there going to be a draw to see a highlights show in primetime? I don't see it. Besides, you don't want people to skip over the qualifying rounds and go straight to the finals. How many people want to watch all of the Phelps races, not just when he goes for medals. Setting up a specialty channel is only going to detract from what you already have, not add to it. If you're trying to maximize the total number of hours of Olympics coverage consumed (let alone the business side of things of trying to generate advertising revenue), I don't see this being able to increase that and if anything, you're hurting it if you're encouraging people just to watch finals and have the best stuff done with by the end of the afternoon. Because after that, they'll be seeking out something else to watch, not watching the highlights (which is to say the re-run) in primetime.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#377 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

You have to remember.. NBC's goal is to get you to consume as much of the Olympics as possible. If they're showing their best stuff in the afternoon, is there going to be a draw to see a highlights show in primetime? I don't see it.

Well... there is another way of looking at that. Chances are high that some people can't see it at night because they work in a restaurant or store or some other evening job, and they watch it in the afternoon. Similarly plenty of people work in the day time and can't see it in the afternoon.

If you have ONE showing, you can get say.... 10 million viewers. If you have TWO showings, maybe you will get 7 Million viewers in the afternoon, and 5 million viewers at night, effectively having 12 Million viewers watch your commercials.

Also, LIVE viewing promotes commercial viewing. So the 7 million watching it in the afternoon will see the commercials for sure, or at least the majority.

See, if the event is going to be tape-delayed anyways, and another 3 hours on top of that, I might as well make that 4 hours, watch some other DVR'd Olympics, and not watch ANY commercials on NBC whatsoever. I think with the live showing, they would actually get more commercial viewers. Delay is delay, for those with a DVR it then doesn't matter anymore your build in your own delay to prevent commercial watching.

And that might also be a very compelling reason - especially in weekends - to show important stuff live.

For myself, in 2010/2008, I watched stuff live IF it was live (and thus saw commercials). If it was delayed in any way, I just added my own DVR delay and watched NO commercials whatsoever.

I am the Stig.

#378 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Besides, you don't want people to skip over the qualifying rounds and go straight to the finals. How many people want to watch all of the Phelps races, not just when he goes for medals.

I disagree. Speaking as someone who watched all of his gold medals wins in 2008, I didn't see a single qualifying heat. What's the point? Everyone knows he's going to make the final. The top competitors don't even try that hard in qualifying heats (e.g., you'll see Usain Bolt pull up 20 m from the finish because he already knows he's going to finish high enough to get to the finals.) (Here's a Usain Bolt qualifying heat from the 2011 World Championships. Not exactly exciting. )

#379 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'm still really disappointed that there is no live 3D coverage...

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#380 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

I'm still really disappointed that there is no live 3D coverage...

Kevin

Yeah I still wonder why that is.

Eurosport 3D does it live.
Sky Sports 3D does it live.
BBC is really just starting with 3D and has some events live.... but they aren't doing a whole lot of 3D yet.

Maybe they can't get it fed live yet across the Atlantic and the actual programming is moved via internet connections to the n3D facility in the U.S.

There isn't any other technical reason I can think of, 3D was designed to be live for sports and what not.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...