Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV 2012 Olympics coverage

• Please log in to reply
506 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

I'm curious as to what level of authentication NBC will require to watch live on the internet. In 2010, if you weren't a subscriber to one of Direct or Dish Network's higher tiers, you couldn't watch even the two or three meager events that were streamed live. Some of us "moved" to Canada for a couple of weeks so we could watch everything live without authentication restrictions.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm curious as to what level of authentication NBC will require to watch live on the internet. In 2010, if you weren't a subscriber to one of Direct or Dish Network's higher tiers, you couldn't watch even the two or three meager events that were streamed live. Some of us "moved" to Canada for a couple of weeks so we could watch everything live without authentication restrictions.

You have to be a cable or satellite or uverse/fios subscriber. No word on package restrictions, but I don't think there is any. I went to nbcolympics.com and was able to connect my directv account.

Try it, and you will know.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#23 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

maybe but what they did in 2010 still has the bad taste left overs.

I hear ya. That was real bad. I was in the same time zone as the games and was pissed. But then, they do this with most live shows. Take American Idol, if you don't want spoilers, you have to have a social media blackout 3 hours before.

With the Olympics in 2010, most of the blame can be placed on the local affiliates, who did not want to give up their local news hour as they already sold advertising for that hour, and it is a high income time slot for them. People in Seattle who can pick up terrestrial Canadian TV bought rabbit ears en-masse to catch the Games on Canadian TV instead.

That is no longer an issue this time as you can watch everything live online, and both EST and PST are in the same boat: Most results will be known before 5 PM EST as that will be 10 PM in London. So your prime time coverage will be old news either way.

I will go dark on social media and watch it when I come home from work.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#24 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

I hear ya. That was real bad. I was in the same time zone as the games and was pissed. But then, they do this with most live shows. Take American Idol, if you don't want spoilers, you have to have a social media blackout 3 hours before.

With the Olympics in 2010, most of the blame can be placed on the local affiliates, who did not want to give up their local news hour as they already sold advertising for that hour, and it is a high income time slot for them. People in Seattle who can pick up terrestrial Canadian TV bought rabbit ears en-masse to catch the Games on Canadian TV instead.

That is no longer an issue this time as you can watch everything live online, and both EST and PST are in the same boat: Most results will be known before 5 PM EST as that will be 10 PM in London. So your prime time coverage will be old news either way.

I will go dark on social media and watch it when I come home from work.

more then just the local affiliates it was also MSNBC / MSNBC HD as well. That got a LOT OF PRESS.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#25 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Well, in any case..... you won't miss a single event of Olympics LIVE, if you are willing to get up at about 4 AM EST (or 1 AM PST) to see what will be starting around 9-10AM in London. :D

Chances are very HIGH that the TV programming will be adjusted to show the best Olympics stuff on prime time slots. I didn't actually know that MSNBC had a west coast and east coast feed, so that was actually new to me that the west coast was getting stuff 3 hours later on a NEWS channel that is supposed to broadcast NEWS live. Unless they just broadcasted it hours later for everyone of course.

The time zone of these games are going to be annoying for U.S. viewers, and so will the 2014 Winter Games in Russia. The games in Rio in 2016 are going to be interesting, being only 1 hour ahead of EST and 4 hours ahead of PST... but I am sure that there too they will show everything online for sure, its just a question whether they will show the main events live or not.

The biggest issue NBC has is that they have contract obligations with local stations that get half an hour of local news between 6 and 6:30, followed by national news, and half an hour of local news between 11:00 and 11:30, and they have to do this in 4 different time zones, so basically every hour for 4 hours straight one part of the country is "offline" to the national NBC feed, so to speak, so it is hard to fit in the live feeds at the same time.

Personally I would want them to provide the same feed they provide to EST time NBC to a cable station like MSNBC so we in PST can watch it at the exact same time, but the local affiliates would want the viewers around their news blocks and were very vocal about this in 2010.

I say we just tell them: Shove off for 2 weeks, and we'll show the Olympics.... but there is too many parties involved to do that. But then, I feel the same way about big shows like American Idol. It was REALLY ANNOYING to read on Facebook or Twitter who had been dropped that week, while the show wasn't even recorded on my DVR yet.

Basically, the West Coast gets shafted no matter what type of programming we watch.

If Facebook was around when Dallas aired on CBS in the 80ies, people would have been going OMG, WHO SHOT J.R.! before the West Coast would know what was going on..... :D :D

I am the Stig.

#26 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Well, in any case..... you won't miss a single event of Olympics LIVE, if you are willing to get up at about 4 AM EST (or 1 AM PST) to see what will be starting around 9-10AM in London. :D

Just a minor correction to your otherwise excellent posts on the subject: you mean EDT (or PDT).

The biggest issue NBC has is that they have contract obligations with local stations that get half an hour of local news between 6 and 6:30, followed by national news, and half an hour of local news between 11:00 and 11:30, and they have to do this in 4 different time zones, so basically every hour for 4 hours straight one part of the country is "offline" to the national NBC feed, so to speak, so it is hard to fit in the live feeds at the same time.

And an even more minor correction: in the Central time zone, the time set aside for local news is at 5:00 and 10:00 (with national news at 5:30), which means they can share a feed with the Eastern time zone -- so there are really only 3 different "time zones" that NBC deals with. Although what NBC has done in the past is give the local affiliates at least 90 minutes in the evening, starting prime-time Olympics coverage at 7:30 Eastern/6:30 Central, thus allowing Eastern affiliates to show a half-hour of their regular syndicated programming at 7:00, and allowing Central affiliates to have either local news or syndicated programming at 6:00.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#27 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

What about Universal Sports HD? Is D* ever going to add it? It would be nice to see replays of the events through out the games on that channel :)

They would have to pull it out of a hat, because there is no HD channel for Universal Sports only SD....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#28 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Just a note: The "specialty" networks for Soccer and Basketball WILL be offered again this year by NBC, the open question just remains on whether DirecTV will carry them.

I am the Stig.

#29 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't know if this is true of Direct but for Dish subscribers, you cannot watch the live streams on NBCOlympics.com unless you have both CNBC and MSNBC in your package. What a crock. I'll be watching CTV which has no restrictions whatsoever.

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

I don't know if this is true of Direct but for Dish subscribers, you cannot watch the live streams on NBCOlympics.com unless you have both CNBC and MSNBC in your package. What a crock. I'll be watching CTV which has no restrictions whatsoever.

There are any packages that don't have both for DirecTV? I do not see any on their website.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#31 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

you cannot watch the live streams on NBCOlympics.com unless you have both CNBC and MSNBC in your package.

Directly on the NBCOlympics.com homepage it looks like a subscription to MSNBC & CNBC is required regardless of TV provider.

Attached Files

#32 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

All of the DirecTV packages include those channels, so no problems. Hell, I think most packages of any provider include those two, maybe they just want to make sure you already pay for those or something, in other words... if you are OTA you can't get online streaming. But maybe DISH does have a package that doesn't include those. DirecTV have been bashing Dish in their commercials for not including common channels in their top 120 package. :D

How do you watch CTV from the U.S.?

I am the Stig.

#33 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I figured Dish was alone in keeping MSNBC off the lower tiers. It sucks for Dish subscribers.
I use a workaround to watch CTV. I'll leave it that.

#34 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that DirecTV might light up Lafayette, LA HDLiL before these get going, but not holding my breath...

#35 OFFLINE   Oogie Pringle

Oogie Pringle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Has anyone tried accessing the site and logging in? I tried and it said I don't have MSNBC and CNBC (which I do).

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Has anyone tried accessing the site and logging in? I tried and it said I don't have MSNBC and CNBC (which I do).

Not working for me either, on Choice Xtra Classic.

I then closed the message that said I didn't qualify, and there was text that the required tier was verified. They have a few weeks to get the bugs worked out.

Edited by dpeters11, 04 July 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

^^^
web page design - there's no way they should have allowed that defect to their production environment.

#38 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

You need the Entertainment package or above (so if you have the Family or Select you're out) and I'm not sure what you need if your base package is Spanish. I can find out tomorrow though.

Also not quite sure about some of the grandfathered packages...
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#39 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I watched some of the Olympic trials via the NBC streaming site using my DirecTV login. Looking forward to being able to watch live events via stream.

Picture quality was really good. But I was very disappointed in the design and layout they have chosen. Since I have a HTPC connected to my plasma I can watch in on my big screen. But they decided to put a very large black border on the left, top and right side so in full screen mode you don't maximize your display. My guess on why they did it that way was for a place for them to put advertisements.

#40 OFFLINE   Oogie Pringle

Oogie Pringle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

You need the Entertainment package or above (so if you have the Family or Select you're out) and I'm not sure what you need if your base package is Spanish. I can find out tomorrow though.

Also not quite sure about some of the grandfathered packages...

I have the Premier package. I've had it since 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...