Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV 2012 Olympics coverage

• Please log in to reply
506 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Well, in any case..... you won't miss a single event of Olympics LIVE, if you are willing to get up at about 4 AM EST (or 1 AM PST) to see what will be starting around 9-10AM in London. :D

Just a minor correction to your otherwise excellent posts on the subject: you mean EDT (or PDT).

The biggest issue NBC has is that they have contract obligations with local stations that get half an hour of local news between 6 and 6:30, followed by national news, and half an hour of local news between 11:00 and 11:30, and they have to do this in 4 different time zones, so basically every hour for 4 hours straight one part of the country is "offline" to the national NBC feed, so to speak, so it is hard to fit in the live feeds at the same time.

And an even more minor correction: in the Central time zone, the time set aside for local news is at 5:00 and 10:00 (with national news at 5:30), which means they can share a feed with the Eastern time zone -- so there are really only 3 different "time zones" that NBC deals with. Although what NBC has done in the past is give the local affiliates at least 90 minutes in the evening, starting prime-time Olympics coverage at 7:30 Eastern/6:30 Central, thus allowing Eastern affiliates to show a half-hour of their regular syndicated programming at 7:00, and allowing Central affiliates to have either local news or syndicated programming at 6:00.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

What about Universal Sports HD? Is D* ever going to add it? It would be nice to see replays of the events through out the games on that channel :)

They would have to pull it out of a hat, because there is no HD channel for Universal Sports only SD....

HR44-500 HDMI to Toshiba 42
HR24-100

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#28 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Just a note: The "specialty" networks for Soccer and Basketball WILL be offered again this year by NBC, the open question just remains on whether DirecTV will carry them.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#29 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't know if this is true of Direct but for Dish subscribers, you cannot watch the live streams on NBCOlympics.com unless you have both CNBC and MSNBC in your package. What a crock. I'll be watching CTV which has no restrictions whatsoever.

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,956 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

I don't know if this is true of Direct but for Dish subscribers, you cannot watch the live streams on NBCOlympics.com unless you have both CNBC and MSNBC in your package. What a crock. I'll be watching CTV which has no restrictions whatsoever.

There are any packages that don't have both for DirecTV? I do not see any on their website.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#31 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

you cannot watch the live streams on NBCOlympics.com unless you have both CNBC and MSNBC in your package.

Directly on the NBCOlympics.com homepage it looks like a subscription to MSNBC & CNBC is required regardless of TV provider.

Attached Files

#32 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

All of the DirecTV packages include those channels, so no problems. Hell, I think most packages of any provider include those two, maybe they just want to make sure you already pay for those or something, in other words... if you are OTA you can't get online streaming. But maybe DISH does have a package that doesn't include those. DirecTV have been bashing Dish in their commercials for not including common channels in their top 120 package. :D

How do you watch CTV from the U.S.?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#33 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I figured Dish was alone in keeping MSNBC off the lower tiers. It sucks for Dish subscribers.
I use a workaround to watch CTV. I'll leave it that.

#34 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that DirecTV might light up Lafayette, LA HDLiL before these get going, but not holding my breath...

#35 OFFLINE   Oogie Pringle

Oogie Pringle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Has anyone tried accessing the site and logging in? I tried and it said I don't have MSNBC and CNBC (which I do).

#36 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Has anyone tried accessing the site and logging in? I tried and it said I don't have MSNBC and CNBC (which I do).

Not working for me either, on Choice Xtra Classic.

I then closed the message that said I didn't qualify, and there was text that the required tier was verified. They have a few weeks to get the bugs worked out.

Edited by dpeters11, 04 July 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

^^^
web page design - there's no way they should have allowed that defect to their production environment.

#38 OFFLINE   Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun

King of Awesome

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,144 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

You need the Entertainment package or above (so if you have the Family or Select you're out) and I'm not sure what you need if your base package is Spanish. I can find out tomorrow though.

Also not quite sure about some of the grandfathered packages...

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#39 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I watched some of the Olympic trials via the NBC streaming site using my DirecTV login. Looking forward to being able to watch live events via stream.

Picture quality was really good. But I was very disappointed in the design and layout they have chosen. Since I have a HTPC connected to my plasma I can watch in on my big screen. But they decided to put a very large black border on the left, top and right side so in full screen mode you don't maximize your display. My guess on why they did it that way was for a place for them to put advertisements.

#40 OFFLINE   Oogie Pringle

Oogie Pringle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

You need the Entertainment package or above (so if you have the Family or Select you're out) and I'm not sure what you need if your base package is Spanish. I can find out tomorrow though.

Also not quite sure about some of the grandfathered packages...

I have the Premier package. I've had it since 1997.

#41 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have the Premier package. I've had it since 1997.

But the thing is, does it say you don't qualify, but then clearing that message, it works anyway?

#42 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

I couldn't find the answer to this...

Will the various online streams be archived for watching at a later time? That is, if I wanted to watch a certain event in its entirety but didn't want to get up at 5am to see it live, could I begin watching later that day (or on a later date) and see the whole thing? And if the events are archived, how long will they remain accessible (e.g. would I be able to watch the event six months from now if I really wanted to)?

#43 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

I couldn't find the answer to this...

Will the various online streams be archived for watching at a later time? That is, if I wanted to watch a certain event in its entirety but didn't want to get up at 5am to see it live, could I begin watching later that day (or on a later date) and see the whole thing? And if the events are archived, how long will they remain accessible (e.g. would I be able to watch the event six months from now if I really wanted to)?

I used this nifty little tool called Google and found this: ;)

http://www.screenpla...n-broadband-tv/

"Not to be outdone, NBC Universal is planning to stream every event on the Olympics agenda live, amounting to some 3,600 hours of coverage, over its NBCOlympics.com outlet. This along with archived access to all events, replays of all TV broadcasts, interviews with athletes and other special Web content will be available on connected devices, although NBC is also placing strong emphasis on its newfound ability to expand TV coverage of the Olympics through NBC Sports Network, the former Versus that was folded into NBC Sports following the Comcast acquisition of NBC-Universal."

So it looks like all events will be archived and available for replay.

Now, whether an event that say.... starts at 05:00 AM, ends at 09:00 AM, can be STARTED from the beginning at 07:45 AM, that I don't know. You may have to wait till the event it over, it is archived, and made available online.

I am the Stig.

#44 OFFLINE   Oogie Pringle

Oogie Pringle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

But the thing is, does it say you don't qualify, but then clearing that message, it works anyway?

Went to try that today and it just said that my account had been verified. So I can't check that out.

Last night, I sent emails to Directv and NBC Olympics about my problem. Not sure what cleared it up, but it has.

#45 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

From the NBC Sports Press release:

• NBC Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels are available on most major cable, satellite and telephone companies and distributors.

Time Warner Cable has also made its announcements btw in several markets, they will be carrying the channels. I'm sure that DirecTV will also, they just don't announce it till 2 days before or something like that. :D

I am the Stig.

#46 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've just tried and it does say that I'm ready to watch:

"You're Ready To Watch!Your required tier of TV service was verified and you now have access to watch LIVE streaming video coverage of every event at the 2012 London Games on NBCOlympics.com!"

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list: Bring back Gol TV HD

#47 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

From the NBC Sports Press release:

• NBC Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels are available on most major cable, satellite and telephone companies and distributors.

Time Warner Cable has also made its announcements btw in several markets, they will be carrying the channels. I'm sure that DirecTV will also, they just don't announce it till 2 days before or something like that. :D

And why was there NO NBC Olympic hockey channel in 2010?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#48 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

And why was there NO NBC Olympic hockey channel in 2010?

Because it didn't exist. All hockey games were covered by CNBC, MSNBC, USA, and the big games on NBC. There are less events to cover with the Winter Olympics, and NBC did a great job in screwing us west coasts folks over the behind with the games in the same time zone too.... There were soccer and basketball channels in 2008 though, and DirecTV (as well as Dish and most cable outlets) carried them.

I am the Stig.

#49 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Because it didn't exist. All hockey games were covered by CNBC, MSNBC, USA, and the big games on NBC. There are less events to cover with the Winter Olympics, and NBC did a great job in screwing us west coasts folks over the behind with the games in the same time zone too.... There were soccer and basketball channels in 2008 though, and DirecTV (as well as Dish and most cable outlets) carried them.

now will get the mix channel and the 700's remapping like in 2008?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#50 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Was there an Olympic Mix channel? I don't recall having one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...