Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV 2012 Olympics coverage

• Please log in to reply
506 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,567 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have the Premier package. I've had it since 1997.

But the thing is, does it say you don't qualify, but then clearing that message, it works anyway?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

I couldn't find the answer to this...

Will the various online streams be archived for watching at a later time? That is, if I wanted to watch a certain event in its entirety but didn't want to get up at 5am to see it live, could I begin watching later that day (or on a later date) and see the whole thing? And if the events are archived, how long will they remain accessible (e.g. would I be able to watch the event six months from now if I really wanted to)?

#43 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

I couldn't find the answer to this...

Will the various online streams be archived for watching at a later time? That is, if I wanted to watch a certain event in its entirety but didn't want to get up at 5am to see it live, could I begin watching later that day (or on a later date) and see the whole thing? And if the events are archived, how long will they remain accessible (e.g. would I be able to watch the event six months from now if I really wanted to)?

I used this nifty little tool called Google and found this: ;)

http://www.screenpla...n-broadband-tv/

"Not to be outdone, NBC Universal is planning to stream every event on the Olympics agenda live, amounting to some 3,600 hours of coverage, over its NBCOlympics.com outlet. This along with archived access to all events, replays of all TV broadcasts, interviews with athletes and other special Web content will be available on connected devices, although NBC is also placing strong emphasis on its newfound ability to expand TV coverage of the Olympics through NBC Sports Network, the former Versus that was folded into NBC Sports following the Comcast acquisition of NBC-Universal."

So it looks like all events will be archived and available for replay.

Now, whether an event that say.... starts at 05:00 AM, ends at 09:00 AM, can be STARTED from the beginning at 07:45 AM, that I don't know. You may have to wait till the event it over, it is archived, and made available online.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#44 OFFLINE   Oogie Pringle

Oogie Pringle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

But the thing is, does it say you don't qualify, but then clearing that message, it works anyway?

Went to try that today and it just said that my account had been verified. So I can't check that out.

Last night, I sent emails to Directv and NBC Olympics about my problem. Not sure what cleared it up, but it has.

#45 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

From the NBC Sports Press release:

• NBC Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels are available on most major cable, satellite and telephone companies and distributors.

Time Warner Cable has also made its announcements btw in several markets, they will be carrying the channels. I'm sure that DirecTV will also, they just don't announce it till 2 days before or something like that. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#46 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've just tried and it does say that I'm ready to watch:

"You're Ready To Watch!Your required tier of TV service was verified and you now have access to watch LIVE streaming video coverage of every event at the 2012 London Games on NBCOlympics.com!"

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#47 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

From the NBC Sports Press release:

• NBC Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels are available on most major cable, satellite and telephone companies and distributors.

Time Warner Cable has also made its announcements btw in several markets, they will be carrying the channels. I'm sure that DirecTV will also, they just don't announce it till 2 days before or something like that. :D

And why was there NO NBC Olympic hockey channel in 2010?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#48 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

And why was there NO NBC Olympic hockey channel in 2010?

Because it didn't exist. All hockey games were covered by CNBC, MSNBC, USA, and the big games on NBC. There are less events to cover with the Winter Olympics, and NBC did a great job in screwing us west coasts folks over the behind with the games in the same time zone too.... There were soccer and basketball channels in 2008 though, and DirecTV (as well as Dish and most cable outlets) carried them.

I am the Stig.

#49 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Because it didn't exist. All hockey games were covered by CNBC, MSNBC, USA, and the big games on NBC. There are less events to cover with the Winter Olympics, and NBC did a great job in screwing us west coasts folks over the behind with the games in the same time zone too.... There were soccer and basketball channels in 2008 though, and DirecTV (as well as Dish and most cable outlets) carried them.

now will get the mix channel and the 700's remapping like in 2008?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#50 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Was there an Olympic Mix channel? I don't recall having one.

#51 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Why was there no Goodwill Games motoball channel in 1986?

#52 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yeah - I remember the uproar. They got a ton of heat over the quarterfinal coverage on NBC mid-week that they made the Friday semi vs. FIN (and gold medal game) live to all time zones.

#53 OFFLINE   sonnik

sonnik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

For those of you who haven't done it yet - if you go to nbcolympics.com and "check TV listings" - you'll be prompted for ZIP and Provider. You'll get the following information.

There is a note of two speciality networks being available on DTV.

Local NBC Station - NBC will broadcast 272.5 hours of London Olympic coverage over 17 days for the most extensive coverage ever provided by an Olympic broadcast network. Swimming -- including Michael Phelps’ quest to become the most decorated Olympian ever -- track and field, gymnastics, diving, and beach volleyball, among other sports, will serve as the centerpieces of NBC’s coverage, which begins with the Opening Ceremony at 7:30 p.m. ET/PT on Friday, July 27.

NBCSports Network will serve as the home to U.S. team sports, with 292.5 hours of total coverage from 2012 London Olympics this summer, including 257.5 hours of original programming – the most-ever for an Olympic cable network. Coverage will begin on Wednesday, July 25, at 11:30 a.m. ET, two days before the Opening Ceremony, when Team USA takes on France in women’s soccer. NBC Sports Network coverage, originating from Olympic Park in London, will air up to 20 medal rounds and 22 Olympic sports, including Team USA basketball, women’s soccer and field hockey

MSNBC, NBCUniversal’s 24/7 cable news channel that is fully distributed in roughly 100 million homes, will carry 155.5 hours of a wide variety of long-form Olympic programming over 19 days. The channel will air up to 18 medal rounds and 20 Olympic sports, from badminton to basketball to soccer to wrestling On most weekdays, coverage will air from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. ET with longer programming windows on Saturdays and Sundays.

CNBC -- NBCUniversal’s fully distributed cable business channel -- will serve as the home of Olympic boxing this summer, including the debut of women’s boxing. The channel will televise 73 hours of coverage over 16 days from elimination bouts to the men’s and women’s finals. Same-day coverage will air from 5-8 p.m. ET during the week, with six hours of live coverage airing each day on the weekends.

Bravo, NBCUniversal’s fully distributed lifestyle cable channel, will be the home of Olympic tennis this summer. The channel will televise 56 hours of long-form coverage over seven days, from July 28-August 3. Live coverage will air from early morning until mid-afternoon (ET) on most days.

SOCCER - A total of 770 hours of coverage will be available on two NBCUniversal specialty channels devoted solely to soccer and basketball.

BASKETBALL- A total of 770 hours of coverage will be available on two NBCUniversal specialty channels devoted solely to basketball and soccer.

Local Telemundo - NBCUniversal will have the most extensive Spanish-language Olympic coverage in the company’s history, offering more than 173 hours of the London 2012 Olympics on Telemundo, “The U.S. Home of the Olympic Games in Spanish.” Telemundo’s comprehensive coverage will feature marquee disciplines such as boxing, swimming, basketball and soccer, which will be a major broadcast highlight.

#54 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

In all of this discussion about all these NBC channels, has there been any news about NBC Universal Sports channel(#625) being in HD?

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#55 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

In all of this discussion about all these NBC channels, has there been any news about NBC Universal Sports channel(#625) being in HD?

No. It currently doesn't exist in HD, and if/when NBC decides to create a HD version, we will have to see at that point whether DirecTV will carry it. It could very well be since the change from Universal Sports being a "sub channel" on most NBC's affiliates OTA broadcast to a full-fledged network that signed a contract with DirecTV, that access to the HD version is already secured.... IF/WHEN it actually exists.

The wiki on Universal Sports still states "will begin broadcasting in HD some time in 2012", but whether that still holds up I do not know.

I am the Stig.

#56 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

No. It currently doesn't exist in HD, and if/when NBC decides to create a HD version, we will have to see at that point whether DirecTV will carry it. It could very well be since the change from Universal Sports being a "sub channel" on most NBC's affiliates OTA broadcast to a full-fledged network that signed a contract with DirecTV, that access to the HD version is already secured.... IF/WHEN it actually exists.

The wiki on Universal Sports still states "will begin broadcasting in HD some time in 2012", but whether that still holds up I do not know.

I am aware of that posting on the WIKI, and that is why I posted here. Hopefully HD is sooner rather than later in this case. Let's hope...

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#57 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

SOCCER - A total of 770 hours of coverage will be available on two NBCUniversal specialty channels devoted solely to soccer and basketball.

BASKETBALL- A total of 770 hours of coverage will be available on two NBCUniversal specialty channels devoted solely to basketball and soccer.

All we need to know really is whether DirecTV will carry these 2 channels. I know Time Warner Cable and Comcast will carry them.

I am the Stig.

#58 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Was there an Olympic Mix channel? I don't recall having one.

There hasn't been anything official announced on it but the hold music has been mentioning an Olympics Mix London channel for the past couple of days. So probably. Hopefully!
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#59 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

There hasn't been anything official announced on it but the hold music has been mentioning an Olympics Mix London channel for the past couple of days. So probably. Hopefully!

That would be fantastic. In HD that is.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#60 OFFLINE   sonnik

sonnik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

All we need to know really is whether DirecTV will carry these 2 channels. I know Time Warner Cable and Comcast will carry them.

That was kind of the point of my post. According to NBC's web site, they are. When I selected "DirecTV" as my provider, that was the information that was returned.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...