Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV 2012 Olympics coverage

• Please log in to reply
506 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Sixers coach Doug collins will be on NBC as an anaylist during usa mens basketball.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

That was kind of the point of my post. According to NBC's web site, they are. When I selected "DirecTV" as my provider, that was the information that was returned.

Looking back at some announcements back in 2008 for the Olympic channels, they made them on the Monday before the channels went live, with the channels going live on Wednesday and the Olympic opening starting on Friday.

My guess?

Channels go to "test" on Monday morning/night. (July 23d.)
If test is up, all channel re-mapping (if any) works, announcement on Monday as well.
Channels go to "live" on Wednesday. (July 25th) Maybe even Tuesday night, as due to the time difference the first soccer games start pretty early U.S. time.
Opening Ceremony on Friday the 27th.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#63 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

That was kind of the point of my post. According to NBC's web site, they are. When I selected "DirecTV" as my provider, that was the information that was returned.

If you choose OTA, it will give the same info.

Edit to add: channel numbers are provided for all but the specialty channels for directv. But no provider has them listed.

Edited by tonyd79, 10 July 2012 - 05:54 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#64 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Spied by Sixto this morning:

Part-time Changes: NEW (added/moved) from 2012-07-11 compared to 2012-07-06:
701 *OCX HD PT D11 6 1700
702 *OCH HD PT D10 10 1700
703 *OCH HD PT D11 2 1700
704 *OCH HD PT D11 2 1700
705 *OCH HD PT D11 2 1700

Olympic channels being launched? With 701 being a mix channel?

Now, we were expecting a Soccer and Basketball channel, so that would account for 3... but we have 5 new Part Time HD in test. Anything else that DirecTV might bring to us for the Olympics? Or will they just be channel remaps?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#65 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Spied by Sixto this morning:

Part-time Changes: NEW (added/moved) from 2012-07-11 compared to 2012-07-06:
701 *OCX HD PT D11 6 1700
702 *OCH HD PT D10 10 1700
703 *OCH HD PT D11 2 1700
704 *OCH HD PT D11 2 1700
705 *OCH HD PT D11 2 1700

Olympic channels being launched? With 701 being a mix channel?

Now, we were expecting a Soccer and Basketball channel, so that would account for 3... but we have 5 new Part Time HD in test. Anything else that DirecTV might bring to us for the Olympics? Or will they just be channel remaps?

Five is odd.

There are eight outlets for programming:
NBC OTA
NBC Sports Network (Versus)
MSNBC
CNBC
Bravo
Soccer Channel
Basketball Channel
Telemundo
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#66 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Five is odd.

There are eight outlets for programming:
NBC OTA
NBC Sports Network (Versus)
MSNBC
CNBC
Bravo
Soccer Channel
Basketball Channel
Telemundo

Yeah I found that odd too. That said, it is still early and things change all the time. Perhaps they added 5 now, and a few more next week.... If I understand correctly what they did in 2008 was 1 mix channel, the 2 soccer/basketball channels, and then a re-map of some of the NBC owned channels so all of the Olympics are right next to each other.

Also, something that just occurred to me.... do all 8 channels show content at the same time? Perhaps some of the channels will only show LIVE in the morning, and NBC will only show the coverage at prime time, which will be a repeat. Those could be on the same channel.

Additionally, I am pretty sure that we "westies" will not get the east coast prime time NBC coverage, so perhaps the main NBC network is not remapped at all to a CONUS number.

I am the Stig.

#67 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yeah I found that odd too. That said, it is still early and things change all the time. Perhaps they added 5 now, and a few more next week.... If I understand correctly what they did in 2008 was 1 mix channel, the 2 soccer/basketball channels, and then a re-map of some of the NBC owned channels so all of the Olympics are right next to each other.

Also, something that just occurred to me.... do all 8 channels show content at the same time? Perhaps some of the channels will only show LIVE in the morning, and NBC will only show the coverage at prime time, which will be a repeat. Those could be on the same channel.

Additionally, I am pretty sure that we "westies" will not get the east coast prime time NBC coverage, so perhaps the main NBC network is not remapped at all to a CONUS number.

I took a quick look at the TV schedule to see how many channels are live at any one time and could not find a time when they were all live but I did not do an exhaustive search. I did that prior to my post. But that would make no real sense. Channels are cheap when they are remaps. Why limit to five? The logistics of moving a remap from CNBC to MSNBC but then making sure there is no overlap when you have to map it to Versus (using that name cause it makes it clearer) would be a logistical nightmare. Far easier to just put a card on the "down" channels that lists all the others or a video that shows what is on currently on the other channels.

#68 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

I took a quick look at the TV schedule to see how many channels are live at any one time and could not find a time when they were all live but I did not do an exhaustive search. I did that prior to my post. But that would make no real sense. Channels are cheap when they are remaps. Why limit to five? The logistics of moving a remap from CNBC to MSNBC but then making sure there is no overlap when you have to map it to Versus (using that name cause it makes it clearer) would be a logistical nightmare. Far easier to just put a card on the "down" channels that lists all the others or a video that shows what is on currently on the other channels.

remaps to come later?

NBC network feed (not the same as DNS)
Soccer Channel
Basketball Channel
Telemundo network feed (not the same as DNS)
MIX Channel.
= 5
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#69 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

When I called DTV for something last night, the commercial while I was on hold mentioned an Olympics Mix channel and said they would group all the channels showing Olympics together. First, they will gather those channels to show the British Open I think.

#70 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

When I called DTV for something last night, the commercial while I was on hold mentioned an Olympics Mix channel and said they would group all the channels showing Olympics together. First, they will gather those channels to show the British Open I think.

If I read the webpage right, they are turning over their sports mix channel to the Olympics and replicating it.

Mentions NBC Sporst, CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo and more. Not specifically the basketball and soccer channels, but other than NBC OTA and Telemundo, not sure what else "more" would mean...

#71 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

False Alarm.

The British "Open Championship" Tennis tournament starts next week, hence "OC".
DirecTV will be covering it like any of the other major tennis tournaments.

Moving right along..... :D

I am the Stig.

#72 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Actually its the British Open Golf, Wimbledon just got over last week.

#73 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Actually its the British Open Golf, Wimbledon just got over last week.

Thats what I meant of course. :rolleyes:

I am the Stig.

#74 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

If I read the webpage right, they are turning over their sports mix channel to the Olympics and replicating it.

Mentions NBC Sporst, CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo and more. Not specifically the basketball and soccer channels, but other than NBC OTA and Telemundo, not sure what else "more" would mean...

HD?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#75 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

HD?

"and more" could mean anything. Probably their online coverage, which from a technical point of view, probably is going to be 720p HD.

I am the Stig.

#76 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

"and more" could mean anything. Probably their online coverage, which from a technical point of view, probably is going to be 720p HD.

Comcast/NBC are 1080i channels.

Or do you mean just the streaming?

#77 OFFLINE   rmullin

rmullin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Any idea what the 3D plans are?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.

#78 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Comcast/NBC are 1080i channels.

Or do you mean just the streaming?

Yes.

I am the Stig.

#79 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Any idea what the 3D plans are?

- 242 Hours of 3D coverage on n3d, which, taking in to account the length of the Olympics of 2 weeks, is an average of 17 to 18 hours a day.

- It will NOT be live, but tape-delayed. I am guessing this is because they don't have a live, trans-atlantic 3D option, not sure.... BBC is also tape-delaying their 3D coverage in the same country, however, Sky Sports (also UK) will do about 100 hours of LIVE 3D coverage. Granted, they are, of course, in the same time zone.

I am the Stig.

#80 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

HD?

Don't think so because HD is touted in the previous sentence. Nor streaming because that gets its own bullet and paragraph.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...