Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV 2012 Olympics coverage

• Please log in to reply
506 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Don't think so because HD is touted in the previous sentence. Nor streaming because that gets its own bullet and paragraph.

HD mix for Olympics?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

HD mix for Olympics?

Maybe. That was hard to decipher but it did say the mix channel would be on 205, which is SD.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#83 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

- 242 Hours of 3D coverage on n3d, which, taking in to account the length of the Olympics of 2 weeks, is an average of 17 to 18 hours a day.

- It will NOT be live, but tape-delayed. I am guessing this is because they don't have a live, trans-atlantic 3D option, not sure.... BBC is also tape-delaying their 3D coverage in the same country, however, Sky Sports (also UK) will do about 100 hours of LIVE 3D coverage. Granted, they are, of course, in the same time zone.

Glad to hear they will be showing so much in 3D. I had read that they will be a day behind.

#84 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

Maybe. That was hard to decipher but it did say the mix channel would be on 205, which is SD.

205 so no 700's remaping??

#85 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

205 so no 700's remaping??

Nope. They say 205 and 600. Which are the sports mixes today.

They do say the red button is gonna be for Olympics stuff if you are on the sports mix or the NBC channels.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#86 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

In other words, they'll just throw NBC, NBCSN, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo into the current sports mix like they do for March Madness now and CBS/Turner. It's not really a dedicated Olympics mix. The 8-channel sports mix is unwatchable to me.

It would have been great if they did a 2x2 mix with NBC, NBCSN, MSNBC and CNBC or Bravo. That would be perfect on the weekend mornings/afternoons.

#87 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

It does not look like there will be a soccer or basketball channel this year (at least not on DirecTV). Also, looks like no channels in the 700's. Here's the link (connect this together without spaces in the URL) ....

www. directv . com / nbcolympics

#88 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Also, NBCOlympics.com is streaming 3,500 hours of live (and will be archived on demand) of all events. They are using the Youtube platform (technology) to help them deliver it. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be protected. I tried using Replay Media Catcher to capture one of their archived two hour broadcasts of the Olympic trials (gymnastics) which is now archived on demand, and it does not work. Their shorter (5 minute) highlight videos archived do capture with Replay Media capture. But not the longer actual broadcasts. It was easy to capture their silverlight stuff four years ago. The new direction to Youture, with the Youtube technology, has it locked and protected this time around (bummer).

I tried to capture this. It captured the 15 second advertisement, but not the two hour broadcast.
It didn't work as it's protected (connect this address without any spaces in the URL. This didn't work when I tried to capture this two hour video) ....

http:// www .nbcolympics. com/video/gymnastics/june-29-nbc-gymnastics-w-competition.html

Edited by BusterAvis, 13 July 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#89 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

It does not look like there will be a soccer or basketball channel this year (at least not on DirecTV). Also, looks like no channels in the 700's. Here's the link (connect this together without spaces in the URL) ....

the mix channel looks like it's HD.

#90 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

It would be odd if we don't get the channels considering we were one of the relatively few providers that carried them in 2008, and I doubt NBC is charging much (if anything) for them. Certainly bandwidth shouldn't be an issue especially if this Viacom dispute is still going on.

#91 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

the mix channel looks like it's HD.

Yep, but no basketball or soccer channels.
Other providers will have them, but not DirecTV.
I had called customer service the other day, and the rep didn't know.
She asked her supervisor, and the supervisor knew all about it.
They had it four years ago, and they are informed they will not have the same stuff they had four years ago, including the "extra" channels (which includes basketball and soccer). I was hoping that the supervisor didn't know what she was talking about, but that web address pretty much confirms it.

I think the Viacom issue forced them to turn their attention to that.
They didn't go for the extra Olympic channels this time, just the Olympic mix channel only, etc.

#92 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

It would be odd if we don't get the channels considering we were one of the relatively few providers that carried them in 2008, and I doubt NBC is charging much (if anything) for them. Certainly bandwidth shouldn't be an issue especially if this Viacom dispute is still going on.

True. Very few, but most of the bigger providers carried it though four years ago (DirecTV, Dish Network, Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, etc).

#93 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Yep, but no basketball or soccer channels.
Other providers will have them, but not DirecTV.
I had called customer service the other day, and the rep didn't know.
She asked her supervisor, and the supervisor knew all about it.
They had it four years ago, and they are informed they will not have the same stuff they had four years ago, including the "extra" channels (which includes basketball and soccer). I was hoping that the supervisor didn't know what she was talking about, but that web address pretty much confirms it.

I think the Viacom issue forced them to turn their attention to that.
They didn't go for the extra Olympic channels this time, just the Olympic mix channel only, etc.

Not sure how you drew that conclusion. Or that the mix channels are in hd, for that matter. That sentence is badly worded.

Unless the webpage changed from this morning, I see nothing about the soccer and basketball channels one way or the other.

#94 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

NBC isn't charging anything for them I think. Re: 2008, Dish had them, TWC had them, and Comcast had them in 2008. I watched them on TWC at the time.

Re: the CSR Supervisor comments, I don't believe them.... he/she may simply not know or be allowed to say anything. I would be surprised if DirecTV would not carry the channels, seeing as they have the bandwidth for 2 weeks, just as they do for the tennis and golf championships.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#95 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

So, just to clarify...will we be able to watch everything live on the west coast for the first time ever? At least online?

#96 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

So, just to clarify...will we be able to watch everything live on the west coast for the first time ever? At least online?

Online: yes.
Television: a lot!

Only problem for us west-coasties: Midnight on the west coast, is 8AM in London. 8AM on the west coast is 4PM in London.

So most events will happen.... when we sleep. So what the east coast sees at 7PM prime time on NBC is already HOURS tape delayed, and what we will see on the west coast at 7PM is 3 hours behind that. Any events that are done at night, prime time in England, will still be 11AM through 2PM or so, when most of us are at work - but great of course in the weekends.

That said, if you want to start watching at around midnight and all through the night to the next morning, you can see almost everything LIVE, yes.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#97 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Online: yes.
Television: a lot!

Only problem for us west-coasties: Midnight on the west coast, is 8AM in London. 8AM on the west coast is 4PM in London.

So most events will happen.... when we sleep. So what the east coast sees at 7PM prime time on NBC is already HOURS tape delayed, and what we will see on the west coast at 7PM is 3 hours behind that. Any events that are done at night, prime time in England, will still be 11AM through 2PM or so, when most of us are at work - but great of course in the weekends.

That said, if you want to start watching at around midnight and all through the night to the next morning, you can see almost everything LIVE, yes.

Provided you have lots of coffee, and are up for it.:grin:

#98 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm disappointed in DirecTV. Comcast is adding the soccer and basketball channels (see link below). But DirecTV still claims today that they have been informed that the company has made the decision not to carry them. Huge disappointment.

#99 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Comcast is getting the extra channels though ....

http://www.broadband...etball-Channels

#100 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Comcast is getting the extra channels though ....

http://www.broadband...etball-Channels

Surprise! Comcast is getting Comcast channels.

Probably not where I live though. They are maxed out.

spam firewall