Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Locals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frostilicus

Frostilicus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:06 AM

According to last night's chat, Traverse City, MI locals are going to be available on the 22nd with a small second dish. EKB shows these uplinked on 121. Is it possible to get 121 without a larger dish?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EchoDork

EchoDork

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:38 AM

Unfortunately, no. The 105 and 121 satellites use FSS broadcasting technology, which essentially means you can't pick up their signals using conventional LNBFs. Not only can you not use your existing dish, but you can't use a regular Dish 300 either. SuperDish only. All locals channel releases from now on will require the upgrade to SuperDish.

#3 OFFLINE   Frostilicus

Frostilicus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:15 AM

Then whats it mean by "small second dish"? If it means they're putting them on 61.5, then i'm set, as i already have one of those.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:16 AM

Unfortunately, no. The 105 and 121 satellites use FSS broadcasting technology, which essentially means you can't pick up their signals using conventional LNBFs. Not only can you not use your existing dish, but you can't use a regular Dish 300 either. SuperDish only. All locals channel releases from now on will require the upgrade to SuperDish.

Perhaps you missed the nuance ...
Traverse City WILL be available on January 22nd via a second small dish. The new colorado area will also be available January 22nd via a second small dish. (And Johnston-Altoona will be available January 29th on Dish 500.)

Your statement "All locals channel releases from now on will require the upgrade to SuperDish." Is in direct conflict with the announcements made last night.

Charlie and Jim left out the details of where that "second small dish" would point, but they did describe the dish as such. NOT as "SuperDish." Perhaps you can check in the system and see where these locals will end up (I'm guessing TC will move, again, to 61.5º and the colorado local will be put up on 148º.)

JL

#5 OFFLINE   Frostilicus

Frostilicus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:18 AM

That would be sweet if the move was to 61.5. between the main dish 500, the second one looking at 61.5 and the goofy OTA antenna mast i have next to it, the back side of my house already looks like I'm calling the mothership.

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:23 AM

This is only speculation but Charlie eluded to the fact that some people already have a second small dish that could be used. This sounds like those locals are probably going to be on 61.5 or 148.

#7 OFFLINE   EchoDork

EchoDork

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:05 PM

I left the company in mid-December. At that time, we were advised that all future local launches would require installation of a SuperDish. They may be revising that policy or making exceptions... it wouldn't be the first time that employees were told one thing and Charlie said something completely different in the Chat.

My answer: Ok then, I have no idea.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:39 PM

I left the company in mid-December. At that time, we were advised that all future local launches would require installation of a SuperDish. They may be revising that policy or making exceptions... it wouldn't be the first time that employees were told one thing and Charlie said something completely different in the Chat.

My answer: Ok then, I have no idea.

Good answer! :grin:

Things changed quite a bit in November when they realized that 105º wasn't going to do as well as they wanted with AMC-2. They have actually done a couple of Dish500 new markets since then, and several markets on 105º and 121º. But there are a couple more scheduled for Dish500 and apparently these two will be elsewhere.

No big deal, EchoDork. Sometimes we know more than some E* employees. Probably because we look for every nuance for a clue ... OOOOHHH Charlie scratched his left nostril! That means new HD this month!

(We don't watch him *that* closely. :) )

JL

#9 OFFLINE   Frostilicus

Frostilicus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:42 PM

I called Dish and asked them if it was SuperDish, 500 or 61.5, and the nice lady said that there was no mention in the computer of which it would be requiring. 9 days out. So I guess i wait.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:51 PM

Watch the skies. There are those with FTA devices who will be able to see movement and will post what they know. Changes are most often done on Wednesdays. I doubt if you will have a 9 day wait! :)

JL

#11 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:52 PM

Announced at Today's Retailer Charlie Chat - that indeed those 2 markets (mentioned above) will be launched and available on a smaller dish -... just as justalurker guessed - one at 61.5 and the other one at 148...

The third one mentioned above also - will indeed be on DiSH 500

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:23 PM

FLASH! I've been watching the CC for details that were missed while reading chat and listening, and in the answer to the "pointing a Dish300 at 105" question from Chattanoga, they said that they WILL be coming out with an easier to install second dish for people who would normally need a superdish. The dish was described as smaller than a SuperDish.

A two dish solution for FSS birds. Add one of these to a regular superdish (and a DP+44) and one can get both FSS birds and Dish500 channels. It looks like they have seen the poor man and decided to start selling one themselves!

JL

#13 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:43 PM

FLASH! I've been watching the CC for details that were missed while reading chat and listening, and in the answer to the "pointing a Dish300 at 105" question from Chattanoga, they said that they WILL be coming out with an easier to install second dish for people who would normally need a superdish. The dish was described as smaller than a SuperDish.

A two dish solution for FSS birds. Add one of these to a regular superdish (and a DP+44) and one can get both FSS birds and Dish500 channels. It looks like they have seen the poor man and decided to start selling one themselves!

JL

I too heard that and wander how much smaller can they go and still make it work? It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Another advantage for E* to going with a 2nd dish option for 105 and 121 is that it might help relieve some of the shortage problems they have with the SuperDish.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:14 PM

I too heard that and wander how much smaller can they go and still make it work?

I'm guessing 24" circular. It doesn't have to be defocused to allow for 110 and 119 LNBs. We'll find out soon enough.

JL

#15 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:11 PM

What better time than when HD Events goes dark on the wings.

#16 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:46 PM

BTW: There are 2 new markets loading up on 148. Can't tell what they are yet. Just have numbers.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:57 PM

Maybe we will get lucky and MORE of the 105/121 markets will end up on 61.5/148 like Traverse City and Grand Junction. The add on FSS dish commented in the chat is a good idea, but not as good as staying on FULL POWER satellites.

JL

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:00 PM

BTW: There are 2 new markets loading up on 148. Can't tell what they are yet. Just have numbers.

Anything matching Tony's work?

- I got to get me one of those PC cards. Do they work with DishPro or do I need to use a legacy adapter?

JL

#19 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:14 PM

I think there are DiSEqC compatible ones. Mine is not. Probably would still need the Legacy adaptor.

BTW: The 148 finds were with a plain FTA receiver. The card will give the IDs whenever the channels are added to the system. There is software which can be purchased to allow some cards to do this. My card is not one of them, but 3-4 weeks at the keyboard solved that. :)

#20 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:19 PM

Hey...using 148 and 61.5 for locals as well as 121 and 105 plus the spot beams....they have enough bandwidth to get every single market up.

If they can consolidate the internationals on 121, they have it made!

BTW...
The two new local markets on 148° look to have an ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS station. One of them has an independent or second PBS. Neither have WB or UPN.

I'm guessing one of them is Grand Junction or Duluth. ... could be both, but I only see 5 stations for each market (no indy, rel or second PBS) . However these could end up on 61.5°

Other west cities that fit:
Medford (big 4, PBS and indy.)
Lincoln, NE (Big 4, PBS and secondary ABC)
Fargo, ND (ditto lincoln)
Topeka, KS (Big 4 and PBS)

See ya
Tony

spam firewall