Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Video degredation after 45 minutes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   camperbob

camperbob

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

I am having problems with the video being jumpy but only on one of my receivers. The satellite signal is strong and the second receiver provides a clear picture.

I have 2 receivers (HR24-200, H25-100) and the whole home DVR service. The video is clear for a while but then becomes jumpy on the master unit 30minutes to 1 hour after I reset the boxes to fix the problem. I can eliminate the problem by unplugging the second unit (H25-100). The master receiver immediately clears up.

I'm connected to the internet but shutting down the signal doesn't have any effect on the problem.

It is possible that I created the problem. I swapped the receiver locations. The swap worked flawlessly for a while. Then it tanked. I did not move the SWM and DECA hardware with the master receiver.

Any insights?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hello camperbob,

:welcome:The HR24 (DVR) series, the H25 (receiver) series and the HR34 (DVR) series have DECA built in. There is no need for additional DECA hardware. I understand that adding DECA hardware can and probably gives problems to a system. My suggestion is to remove all additional DECA hardware and do a menu reset on both the HR24 and the H25 units.
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#3 OFFLINE   camperbob

camperbob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Resets work but only for a while. Things later start to drop out (like the internet connection and/or whole home connection). Video starts to degrade and becomes jumpy. I just can't understand why it works perfectly for a while then stops. Both receivers have built in DECA but I need the single powered DECA to connect to the internet. That component is clearly there in all of the wiring diagrams even with units that have the built-in.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Resets work but only for a while. Things later start to drop out (like the internet connection and/or whole home connection). Video starts to degrade and becomes jumpy. I just can't understand why it works perfectly for a while then stops. Both receivers have built in DECA but I need the single powered DECA to connect to the internet. That component is clearly there in all of the wiring diagrams even with units that have the built-in.

Since both have internal DECA, you can check the coax networking performance by pressing the guide and right arrow buttons [both] on the front panel.
The menu will have coax on the left and selecting this brings up the DECA nodes and the loss between them. the next test is the Phy rate mesh, which is how well each node preforms with each other.
Might help to run these and post the results.

Then when the problem comes back, re-run these and see if they changed.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   camperbob

camperbob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

The network connection is now dropped on HR24-200. I will have to reset to get it back. Whole home does not work on the H25-100. On the plus side the picture is not jumpy on either.

the HR24-200 has nothing on the "Info" menu. On the "Phy Rate Mesh" it is all 0's

The H25-100 has a Node "0" (Phy Levels - N/A) and "2" (Phy Levels - "-10"). The "Phy Rate Mesh" has 257 in 0,0 and 0,2. It has 260 in 2,0 and 2,2.

Attached is a schematic of the install.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Satellite Diagram.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

The network connection is now dropped on HR24-200. I will have to reset to get it back. Whole home does not work on the H25-100. On the plus side the picture is not jumpy on either.

the HR24-200 has nothing on the "Info" menu. On the "Phy Rate Mesh" it is all 0's

The H25-100 has a Node "0" (Phy Levels - N/A) and "2" (Phy Levels - "-10"). The "Phy Rate Mesh" has 257 in 0,0 and 0,2. It has 260 in 2,0 and 2,2.

Attached is a schematic of the install.

Thanks!

Well you're sure having problem with the DECA network.

What you're calling a "SWM" is the power supply, and the SWiM itself is in the dish.

Here's a working setup with more than yours. but shows what you should have:

http://www.dbstalk.c...44&d=1313684505

The test screens should look like these, though not as many nodes:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1319572165

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1319572165

the HR24-200 has nothing on the "Info" menu.
On the "Phy Rate Mesh" it is all 0's

The H25-100 has a Node "0" (Phy Levels - N/A)
The HR24 is node 1 but has dropped off line.
The Node 2 is your CCK/internet bridge" (Phy Levels - "-10").
The "Phy Rate Mesh" has 257 in 0,0 and 0,2.
It has 260 in 2,0 and 2,2

Reset the HR24 and post the numbers again.

This is how I see your system:
Satellite Diagram.png

And maybe what you should change is this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...53&d=1285094774

Edited by veryoldschool, 17 June 2012 - 10:46 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   camperbob

camperbob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Ok...it is reset and completely working

H25-100:
Nodes 0,1,2 with Ply rates N/A, -10, -25 respectively

...That is all I got. It dropped while I was getting the info. Node 2 dropped away.

The only difference I see in the diagram is the location of the DECA and SWM power supply relative to each other. Do they need to be on the same splitter. I had that at one time and I don't think the network issues were as bad but the picture quality on the remote receiver was bad. Could it be signal degredation over the splitters and coax runs?

Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

I setup my PI like this so as not to need another splitter:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1319570397

Not sure if you can move yours to before the first splitter, but if you could do it to test, you'd know if it will help before getting more parts.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

Ok...it is reset and completely working

H25-100:
Nodes 0,1,2 with Ply rates N/A, -10, -25 respectively

...That is all I got. It dropped while I was getting the info. Node 2 dropped away.

The only difference I see in the diagram is the location of the DECA and SWM power supply relative to each other. Do they need to be on the same splitter. I had that at one time and I don't think the network issues were as bad but the picture quality on the remote receiver was bad. Could it be signal degredation over the splitters and coax runs?

Thanks

The DECA doesn't like running straight into the PI, in some cases, which I think you have, so moving the PI so there is a splitter, or a very long coax should help.
There is only one power passing port on the splitter, so the PI needs to connect to it, or be connected before the splitter like I'm doing in my setup.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   camperbob

camperbob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

So I switched the PI to other splitter (on the red line) and did not put it in series with a receiver as you mentioned might help with the video. I reset everything and it worked great. I was optimistic....

45 minutes or so later the video (on HR24-200) suddenly becomes jumpy, the internet connection (on HR24-200) is gone, and the whole home DVR is not visible (on H25-100).

I unplugged the H25-100 and immediately the jumpy video stops AND the internet connection comes back to H24-200.

I'm just as confused as ever...

#11 OFFLINE   camperbob

camperbob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Here is my latest setup diagram

Attached Thumbnails

• Satellite Diagram 2.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Here is my latest setup diagram

I see how you've moved the PI to a place where it shouldn't be a problem, but your diagram can't be correct, as the PI doesn't look to be passing DC through the first splitter [as you've drawn it].
Since it's working, I'm figuring your diagram is off.
I'm confused too.

45 minutes or so later the video (on HR24-200) suddenly becomes jumpy,
This is local playback right?

the internet connection (on HR24-200) is gone, and the whole home DVR is not visible (on H25-100).
DECA networking issue, but shouldn't have any correlation/affect with local playback

I unplugged the H25-100 and immediately the jumpy video stops AND the internet connection comes back to H24-200
A [strange] DECA problem could account for all but the local video

It's feasible their is a problem with the HR24, but unplugging the H25 and it affecting it just doesn't make sense so far.

Is there more to this than you've posted so far?

Not being there, I only can deal with what you've posted, and this just seems to be an incomplete "picture".
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Quick question, is this only with recorded programming or are you having issues with live programming too?

Maybe he's having hard drive issues? After 45 minutes the hard drive is heating up and starts having issues? Not sure why unplugging the H25 would do anything to clear this up, but it was just a theory.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   camperbob

camperbob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

This is with live AND recorded playback.

I have attached screen shots of the node and ply info from both receivers. They are currently working normally. I will repost when they start to falter.

I wish I could offer more but I think I am sharing everything that I can.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6477.JPG
  • IMG_6478.JPG
  • IMG_6479.JPG
  • IMG_6480.JPG

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

This is with live AND recorded playback.

I have attached screen shots of the node and ply info from both receivers. They are currently working normally. I will repost when they start to falter.

I wish I could offer more but I think I am sharing everything that I can.

Live issues would point to the receiver, and disconnecting the other one shouldn't have any affect.
See if this [removing the H25] repeats when it happens again.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   camperbob

camperbob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yeah it have unplugged the H25 several times and everytime it cleared the HR24 video up.

However...no problems so far this evening. Keeping my fingers crossed. Not sure why anything would be different this time though but optimistic.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Yeah it have unplugged the H25 several times and everytime it cleared the HR24 video up.

However...no problems so far this evening. Keeping my fingers crossed. Not sure why anything would be different this time though but optimistic.

What version of software is it running?
There is a new version starting to roll out.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

Another quick question just trying to double check and help rule things out. You don't have anything hooked up to the ethernet port on the back of the HR24 do you?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...