Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1080i or 1080p?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'd put a properly calibrated CRT up against most new TVs out there and wouldn't be suprised if the CRT had a better picture.

I've been a big fan of CRTs since long before some here were born, but when they started getting over 200 lbs, I had to move on. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   HuskerHarley

HuskerHarley

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

I've been a big fan of CRTs since long before some here were born, but when they started getting over 200 lbs, I had to move on. :lol:

Those were the day's..My last CRT was a Sony XBR 40", it was a monster, especially, when needing moved, two strong men crying, while caring it up or down a flight of stairs-->:eek2:

HH

#83 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Ha Ha, you just got to have bigger friends:lol:

I've moved mine 3 times now. Two of them being in and out of a 3rd floor apartment (no elevator).

I also used to work in the warehouse and doing deliveries for Circuit City when I was in college. So I've moved my fair share of them over the years. The 36" and 40" Sonys were absolute monsters. My current 65" Hitachi is pretty heavy, but it can come apart into 2 pieces so it makes it much easier to move.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#84 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

When there's thousands of them (if not millions) out there still in use, and they work quite well, why should we just ignore them.

The majority of content most of us watch is 1080i or lower, which they can display perfectly fine. Not to mention they can work just fine with a Blu-Ray player. I'd put a properly calibrated RP CRT up against most new TVs out there and wouldn't be suprised if the CRT had a better picture.

There aren't very many modern TVs I would rather have than my 65" Hitachi. Maybe a 65" GT or VT Panasonic Plasma. For the price I paid ($650) it definitely couldn't be beat. And you really can't blame me for not wanting to just throw it out to spend $3000 to replace it.

While they could be good then new(?) after cleaning the CRTs from dust and replacing the CRTs itself, they're still not good for best picture from BR in 1080p24 ! They just can't handle the outstanding format.

#85 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Those were the day's..My last CRT was a Sony XBR 40", it was a monster, especially, when needing moved, two strong men crying, while caring it up or down a flight of stairs-->:eek2:

HH

I still use my Sony KV40XBR800. Awesome HD video quality. But 400 lbs! I dread the day it dies and needs to be moved!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#86 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

I still use my Sony KV40XBR800. Awesome HD video quality. But 400 lbs! I dread the day it dies and needs to be moved!

That's when you see what happens when a sledge hammer hits glass....

I once saw someone drop a kwd34xbr, which was basically the same thing but 100 lbs lighter in wide screen format, the cracked display was a sad sight...

#87 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

While they could be good then new(?) after cleaning the CRTs from dust and replacing the CRTs itself, they're still not good for best picture from BR in 1080p24 ! They just can't handle the outstanding format.

I'm sure that's true. But my 10 year old Sony CRT is still alive and doing well and it does put out a very good HD picture. However, I have begun to do the research on the new models so that when the Sony dies, I'll know what to look for.

What I have noticed is that the new models are usually set to torch mode and the colors are not set properly, so the image is not as nice. The CRTs can be calibrated using a calibration DVD to set the right amount of sharpnes, contrast, brightness, and color. Some also knew how to get into the service menu and turn off red push, set gray scale, and do some other tweaks as well as correct geometry, convergence and tweaks on the guns to get the best colors and picture. That's why a lot of CRT owners hated to see the CRT's go.

I don't know if it's the same with the new sets.

Edited by n3vino, 20 June 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#88 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yes, if you know how it should be done, have an experience and good calibration tool ..LED,plasma, LCD .. perhaps OLED soon ;)

#89 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

That's when you see what happens when a sledge hammer hits glass....

I once saw someone drop a kwd34xbr, which was basically the same thing but 100 lbs lighter in wide screen format, the cracked display was a sad sight...

That's harder than you think, and be prepared for a huge mess when you do finally get it to break. We broke a few of the big old CRTs (that had quit working and needed destroyed) back in the warehouse with a 15lb sledge. The glass is really thick and really takes a beating. We never did a 40" Sony tube, but I can imagine the glass on the front is probably about 3-4" thick in places. When you do finally get them to break they pretty much explode and send glass flying in all directions. One of the guys back there watching got a few cuts from the flying glass. We were still finding glass weeks later in different corners of the room. It was pretty cool though:lol:
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#90 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Knowledgeable ppl do not do that [stupid] way - it's need to be done by using pliers and squeeze a glass 'tail' of the tube, inside, after removing contact's socket from the tube. Adding to that safety measure - cover by heavy blanket a front side of the TV tube.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...