Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Stealing from Texans AGAIN?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Post a screenshot of the bill, with the line highlighted.

If I'm understanding his scattershot posts, there is no specific line he could highlight. Apparently, it's just an increase in the grand total due.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

This surcharge is a way to recoup the increased costs these specific states are charging DISH to conduct business with their residents. Rather than increase costs to all customers, including those not impacted, DISH is charging only the customers who live in these states.

All cable, satellite, and mobile phone companies that conduct business in these states are subject to the same increased costs.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

For those who think politicians use social issues to distract the vast majority of people while they actually do things that negatively affect the people, here's an example from May 31 in the Chicago Sun Times headlined Senate passes 5 percent tax on satellite TV to help schools:

The Illinois Senate narrowly voted Thursday to impose a $75 million tax on satellite television providers in a move GOP critics described as “just another tax increase.” Pushed by the cable television industry, the proposal would levy a 5-percent “assessment” on satellite television provider revenues with the $75 million raised annually earmarked for public schools.

The issue surfaced after rank-and-file Senate Democrats complained about more than $200 million in education spending cuts in the upcoming budget that House Democrats devised.

[Senate President John Cullerton (D-Chicago)] said the satellite television fee would achieve “parity” between the cable industry and satellite television providers, who aren’t taxed by local governments as cable companies are.

The fact is that party politics aren't really involved. In this case, the cable lobbyist saw an opening, used one of his contacts, and you have a tax apparently legally an "assessment" and called a "fee" by the Illinois State Senate President.

While I always support education, there are about 2,000,000 K-12 students in Illinois schools. This would generate a whopping $37.50 a year per kid. Assuming all the money went directly into the classroom, a teacher with 30 students would get $125 a month which I'm sure would help. But I'm not sure how making only satellite TV customers pay for it can be justified.

This is how it works. They "find" some key politician, take advantage of some unrelated issue, and the next thing you know our morons representatives have us paying a tax surcharge, fee, assessment, or whatever that actually benefits a group of corporations more than anyone.

Again, cable companies are actually paying franchise fees for a benefit they (and phone and power companies) derive, namely the right to string their cables on public rights-of-way. Satellite companies get nothinig.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#24 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

This surcharge is a way to recoup the increased costs these specific states are charging DISH to conduct business with their residents. Rather than increase costs to all customers, including those not impacted, DISH is charging only the customers who live in these states.

All cable, satellite, and mobile phone companies that conduct business in these states are subject to the same increased costs.

Can you be specific on what those cost are that have suddenly been applied in Washington that add up to an even $1 or the 62cents in Texas? Somehow I bet neither you nor DISH can be specific on the charges as a DISH dealer you were told there were costs and you accept at face value that DISH is always honest. AS a result of a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT BY DEALERS I PAID CASH FOR MY CURRENT CAR I know DISH has never lied to us.:mad::mad::mad:

#25 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

... On Social Security I watch where my money goes.

... AS a result of a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT BY DEALERS I PAID CASH FOR MY CURRENT CAR ...

Must be nice.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#26 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Can you be specific on what those cost are that have suddenly been applied in Washington that add up to an even $1 or the 62cents in Texas? Somehow I bet neither you nor DISH can be specific on the charges as a DISH dealer you were told there were costs and you accept at face value that DISH is always honest. AS a result of a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT BY DEALERS I PAID CASH FOR MY CURRENT CAR I know DISH has never lied to us.:mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, Boba. That's all the info we have.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#27 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

I gotta adjust my tinfoil hat again.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#28 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

Sorry, Boba. That's all the info we have.

There is a classic book "1984"by George Orwell and I think "NEW SPEAK" was the term I rember from 1965 english class. In "NEW SPEAK" the government rewrites history and the masses accept that as it has always been. Dish's "New Speak" tell us there are costs in certain states without proving them as cost only pertinent to those states. The sum is added onto the bill without an explanation and customers just ignore and pay the bill.

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

I know everyone is in a conspiracy to keep things secret, but allow me to refer you to this web site sponsored by Dish and DirecTV:

Posted Image

If you click on the red dot in the middle of Texas you can see links to the campaign effort that was made. The site needs to be updated. But truthfully what's been happening is sort of old news.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#30 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

I have Time Warner Road Runner for my internet. I just went back through my bill and noticed a "state recovery fee" that started July 2011. Get this !! that fee is taxed under the "state and local taxes" because that went up also at the same time. Double tax!!!!!!!!!!!

#31 OFFLINE   ally68

ally68

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Well no one is forcing anyone to use sat tv so the term stealing is a bit much
They certainly can charge what ever they want and we can choose to pay it or not.

Also most class action lawsuits make lawyers rich and cripple our economy
And our companies hence why companies move to other countries.

Anyway to each there own

Edited by ally68, 22 June 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

boba,
Rather than call your local taxing authority and trusting in everything they say as gospel you should just cancel your Dish service over this ludicrous and rediculous additional 62 cent charge.

If you are on social security you must also realize that taxes are a necessary evil and cirtical to your survival as well as financing your ability to purchase a luxury item like sat or cable TV.

#33 OFFLINE   PBowie

PBowie

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

trust Florida to be the highest ....

spam firewall