Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So long, but not goodbye

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

It depends on the cable provider and franchise location. I am very satisfied with Comcast at my location. The channel selection, HD PQ and the support are exceptional. A l'il pricy fer sure, but then, I have the complete channel packages, all the premies and, "the bundle".

Switching to Comcast would actually save me money. Right now I'm paying DTV about $140/month and I'm paying Comcast about $90/month for internet & phone. That's $230/month. If I switch to Comcast my bill would go up to about $160/month. For the first year any way. I don't remember what the price was after that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm lucky I have Comcast in my area. I had Comcast HD for a few weeks and the PQ was pretty good. A little softer than DTV but very good other than that. They also have some channels in HD that DTV doesn't have. The DVR was a bit clunky but it never froze on me or quit responding to the remote for half a minute at a time like my DTV DVR does
The only reason I stayed with DTV was that they gave me a free HD DVR and I jumped at the offer before I thought about it.

Fortunately my DVR hasn't given me issues other than an occasional hang up and occasional minor glitches.

#23 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

It has been an interesting, educational and at times fun ride with DirecTV and the HR2x. However, I haven't been under a contract for a year and my telephone company keeps reminding me that I can bundle and save lots of $, plus get a $200 amazon gift card.

It is with bittersweetness that today I finally pulled the trigger and am switching to Dish.

The combination of the amazon gift card, saving $35 a month and the new Hopper technology was just too much for me to pass up.

I'll still be checking dbstalk daily, but will be mostly on the Dish side.

I'm in the exact same boat. My install is on the 9th. I have had great luck with DTV, other than the slow DVR. No complaints from me, but the ability to get brand new hardware, and save $40 a month is a no brainer. I've had DTV for like 5-6 years, but, like you, I think the only thing I'll miss is Disney in HD, and that's for my 4 and 6 year old, but I've heard Dish's SD is very good quality as well, and I doubt they even miss it. As for the AMC shows, I just started Breaking Bad on Netflix, so I've got like 4 seasons of watching. The Walking Dead, I just got into, so I've only watched season 1 on Netflix, so season 2 will be on Netflix before long. I plan on starting Mad Men before long as well, but I'll have a lot of catching up to do.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#24 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I made to switch to Comcast last summer and just switched back a couple of weeks ago. Service was great and reliable (zero outages during our time). They offered me a great deal at the time, but that great deal went south when Comcast increased their outlet fees to an amount that equalled my old D* bill.

I then discovered I could come back to D* as a new customer, and get the savings I initially had. It was a no brainer to come back.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

#25 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

I'm in the exact same boat. My install is on the 9th. I have had great luck with DTV, other than the slow DVR. No complaints from me, but the ability to get brand new hardware, and save $40 a month is a no brainer. I've had DTV for like 5-6 years, but, like you, I think the only thing I'll miss is Disney in HD, and that's for my 4 and 6 year old, but I've heard Dish's SD is very good quality as well, and I doubt they even miss it. As for the AMC shows, I just started Breaking Bad on Netflix, so I've got like 4 seasons of watching. The Walking Dead, I just got into, so I've only watched season 1 on Netflix, so season 2 will be on Netflix before long. I plan on starting Mad Men before long as well, but I'll have a lot of catching up to do.

The SD quality is very good -- to the point I would call it HD-lite.

I won't miss AMC, but I and the wife are liking BBC in HD.

#26 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

What's so terrible about cable?

Based on the local Time Warner, HD video quality is horrible, DVR is horrible, and I had the worst customer service from them. I dont think they have anything that can compare to my hardware. i dont like being limited to 20 hours of recorded HD...

Lots of changes going on with cable these days. In my area cable went from being the absolute worst option to the best just about overnight. Since they implemented switched digital video (SDV), HD PQ went from terrible to perfect, plus it gives them essentially unlimited capacity, so they've just added about 60 HD channels, surpassing both satellite companies.

I loved having D* back when they were still the HD leader a few years ago. I also loved my Dish Hopper and the additional national HD on Dish. But considering D*'s weak HD lineup and Dish's habit of dropping channels, cable is the best option in my area now. And since I'm using a PC as my DVR, I have no crappy cable DVR's to deal with or high DVR fees. All I have to pay for is my package and a cable card, which is essentially free ($2/month).

Of course no one provider has it all. So D* is still the only choice for serious sports fans. For the rest of us, the competition between sat and cable is really heating up.

#27 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Of course no one provider has it all. So D* is still the only choice for serious sports fans. For the rest of us, the competition between sat and cable is really heating up.

I am sure it will really heat up when the contract for Sunday Ticket expires. of course i am sure Directv has something in the works to renew it as they would loose alot of people if they lost it to anyone.

As for my other services, we had Comcast for both phone and internet but my "for the first 6 months" ran out and i was slapped with a $126 bill! to much for just the two services so, i got a email from Vonage offering $9.99 a month unlimited lifetime calling so i pulled the trigger.

Edited by Old_School, 05 July 2012 - 01:16 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

spam firewall