Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So long, but not goodbye

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

What's so terrible about cable?

Based on the local Time Warner, HD video quality is horrible, DVR is horrible, and I had the worst customer service from them. I dont think they have anything that can compare to my hardware. i dont like being limited to 20 hours of recorded HD...

Lots of changes going on with cable these days. In my area cable went from being the absolute worst option to the best just about overnight. Since they implemented switched digital video (SDV), HD PQ went from terrible to perfect, plus it gives them essentially unlimited capacity, so they've just added about 60 HD channels, surpassing both satellite companies.

I loved having D* back when they were still the HD leader a few years ago. I also loved my Dish Hopper and the additional national HD on Dish. But considering D*'s weak HD lineup and Dish's habit of dropping channels, cable is the best option in my area now. And since I'm using a PC as my DVR, I have no crappy cable DVR's to deal with or high DVR fees. All I have to pay for is my package and a cable card, which is essentially free ($2/month).

Of course no one provider has it all. So D* is still the only choice for serious sports fans. For the rest of us, the competition between sat and cable is really heating up.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Of course no one provider has it all. So D* is still the only choice for serious sports fans. For the rest of us, the competition between sat and cable is really heating up.

I am sure it will really heat up when the contract for Sunday Ticket expires. of course i am sure Directv has something in the works to renew it as they would loose alot of people if they lost it to anyone.

As for my other services, we had Comcast for both phone and internet but my "for the first 6 months" ran out and i was slapped with a $126 bill! to much for just the two services so, i got a email from Vonage offering $9.99 a month unlimited lifetime calling so i pulled the trigger.

Edited by Old_School, 05 July 2012 - 01:16 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber 1998-2014, 2015-present

Entertainment ~ NFLST

(1) H24  

SL3 LNB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...