Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why do some receivers have cards and some don't?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything, although this has probably been asked before.

Why do some receivers have cards and others don't? I asked a tech while he was troubleshooting a problem, and he just said some do some don't. He really didn't know the reason.

Are all the vip receivers card free?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything, although this has probably been asked before.

Why do some receivers have cards and others don't? I asked a tech while he was troubleshooting a problem, and he just said some do some don't. He really didn't know the reason.

Are all the vip receivers card free?

All DISH receivers have "CARDS" some are credit card size cards that slide into card slots. Some are chips built into the circuit boards of the receiver. The VIP models were produced with the last generation of chips built in so some have been updated with credit card style purple cards.

There are also some receivers on ebay/Craigs list that people have removed the cards:)

#3 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

All DISH receivers have "CARDS" some are credit card size cards that slide into card slots. Some are chips built into the circuit boards of the receiver. The VIP models were produced with the last generation of chips built in so some have been updated with credit card style purple cards.

There are also some receivers on ebay/Craigs list that people have removed the cards:)

thanks boba

so vip's don't need the purple cards then?

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

thanks boba

It depends on the model. I have a 622, it needs the purple card because the chip was made before the latest revision of the encryption.

When my 622 was new it did not need a card. Then one day that version of the encryption was hacked which necessitated the distribution of the "purple cards". I have since had 2 replacement 622' both were shipped with a purple card in the slot.

Someone with a 722 or 922 can tell you if those need a purple card as well.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

thanks boba

Nope. It's need latest card, regardless if it embedded or credit card type [S19...].

H2k using G4 (gray) card [S28...] for example because the model doesn't have embedded SC.
While current J (client) doesn't require SC, it has side slot for 'mini' SC (like GSM smartphone) for future [independent] functioning.

Edited by P Smith, 18 June 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

My original 222k, and replaced 222k both had no card, so it must have the current chip then.

thanks

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Press Info button twice - you'll see the Rxxx and Sxxxx numbers; Sxxx means your box have it. Embedded or not, but without the card your DVR/receiver is dumb.

#8 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Press Info button twice - you'll see the Rxxx and Sxxxx numbers; Sxxx means your box have it. Embedded or not, but without the card your DVR/receiver is dumb.

Well, in system info, I see smart card ID with a series of numbers and letters following it. This must be what you are talking about.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

That's right; on next screens you can see additional SC info: ROM version like DNASP256 and updates level like Dsh07.

#10 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Menu button twice is what works on my 722K.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#11 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

P,

All that info is on the same screen, but I see what you are talking about now.

Thanks

and, yes you can access this with a double click on menu.

spam firewall