Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Microsoft Surface

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Microsoft reveals its own Windows 8 tablet: meet the new Surface for Windows RT

Microsoft announces Surface for Windows 8 Pro: Intel inside, optional pen input

Microsoft Surface tablets: the differences between Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro models

Surface for Windows RT tablet
•Processor: NVIDIA-made ARM chip
•Weight: 676 grams
•Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
•Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD capactive touch panel
•Battery: 31.5Wh
•I/O: microSDXC, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
•Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
•Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
•Capacity: 32GB / 64GB
•Availability: 10/26/2012
•Pricing: Starting at $499

Surface for Windows 8 Pro tablet
•Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB RAM—Dual Channel Memory
•Weight: 903 grams
•Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
•Display: 10.6" ClearType Full HD Display, 1920x1080 pixels, 16:9 (widescreen), 10-point multi-touch
•Battery: 42W-h
•I/O: microSDXC, Full-size USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2x2 MIMO antennae
•Software: Windows 8 Pro
•Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
•Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
Cameras and A/V: Two 720p HD LifeCams, front- and rear-facing with TruColor, Microphone, Stereo speakers
•Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall
•Pricing: To be determined

Edited by naijai, 21 October 2012 - 02:42 PM.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

It's MS response to Apple (iPad + iOS6) ... each one want own slice of the multi $B pie.

#3 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Way too little and WAY too late.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Will see .. the market will judge.

#5 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:40 AM

What will it cost? [We won't tell you]
When will it be available? [We won't tell you - other than 'fall' and '3 months after']
How long will the battery last? [We won't tell you]

The event WAS hastily arranged. Make no mistake, I work all day in Visual Studio and would LOVE a successful MS tablet so I wouldn't have to learn another ecosystem to write apps for (been tempted to pick up a VB-like language that makes iOS apps).

I just think MS is too late to the party and that the next version of the Kindle Fire will suck up most of the "not-an-iPad" tablet market.

#6 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Will see .. the market will judge.

Agree, since we have had very little headway in the the hardware addons that where needed for the Ipad, and with the announcement of this device that actually has what we need the project of replacing all of the palm's in the hazmat enclosures have been put on hold until we can get our hands on a few dozen of these for the R&D people to play with and tear apart.

#7 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

I think the Surface will appeal to Windows Phone and Xbox users. It's supposed to integrate with both. Too late? perhaps to get a lion's share, but it will be welcomed in the Windows world.

#8 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

The consumers are the winners. I love competition.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#9 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Well, it's not an Apple, so it has that going for it.....

#10 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

I think the Surface will appeal to Windows Phone and Xbox users. It's supposed to integrate with both. Too late? perhaps to get a lion's share, but it will be welcomed in the Windows world.

I am a full on windows user and I am happy to finally to have a Tablet/Laptop Hybrid and that usb connector really helps a lot for add-ons.
I know that it's not going to topple iPad as the tablet king but if priced near the iPad i don't see android putting up much of fight.
I eventually (Jan 2013) will have all Windows 8 devices, Phone, Laptop (maybe get rid of my iPad) ,Desktop and then XBOX as well :D.

Edited by naijai, 29 June 2012 - 01:17 PM.

Winston Churchill

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

And, you know, Windows users, because the high end one is...a laptop.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

I guess the open question for me today is... what are Dell, HP and that crowd going to do. Desktops are a pretty dead market and laptops are heading there too. if Microsoft makes its own tablet it may completely bypass the other manufacturers rather than creating a reference design and letting others build off it.

Microsoft did this for the Zune and it pretty much killed Creative, who used to be the #2 maker of MP3 players (#1 in the WMA player market.) If they put out the Microsoft-branded tablet it may not sit real well for Microsoft's hardware partners and if Google embraces them... that could be interesting.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

I guess the open question for me today is... what are Dell, HP and that crowd going to do. Desktops are a pretty dead market and laptops are heading there too. if Microsoft makes its own tablet it may completely bypass the other manufacturers rather than creating a reference design and letting others build off it.

Microsoft did this for the Zune and it pretty much killed Creative, who used to be the #2 maker of MP3 players (#1 in the WMA player market.) If they put out the Microsoft-branded tablet it may not sit real well for Microsoft's hardware partners and if Google embraces them... that could be interesting.

I'd say it would make sure that they come out with devices that are better than what they have on the market now. They need to be ready to adapt to survive & meet the demands of the market. If they want a piece of that market, they had better prove it. They can make better devices than what Microsoft puts out on the market; The question is if they will; The ball is now in their court, step up and quit pouting or shut up.

Edited by naijai, 22 June 2012 - 10:11 PM.

Winston Churchill

#14 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

In my mind, the Surface Pro is a likely winner in the marketplace, particularly if the price is competitive. With a 1920 x 1080 display, mini HDMI connector, USB 3.0, excellent memory options, micro SDXC, Thunderbolt I/O and optional cover with improved keyboard it becomes a worthy competitor to the MacBook Pro. Add to this, MS Office and you have a killer machine.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

That's appealing, we need to wait for the price's announcement. That would kill all desire ... or not.

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

And that's the other part of all of this. All the media reviews say the same thing: they weren't able to use it. If the Pro tablet is really going to be a laptop replacement, it has to have not just a usable keyboard but an excellent one. There are several excellent ones for the iPad and presumably Microsoft will just use an open Bluetooth spec for the keyboard interface (why wouldn't they) so that if their miracle keyboard cover works more like an Atari 400, other people can pick up the slack.

I would love to go all tablet... attach a keyboard and display to it when docked and take it with me when I travel (as I currently do with my laptop.) But of course it has to be usable.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

And that's the other part of all of this. All the media reviews say the same thing: they weren't able to use it. If the Pro tablet is really going to be a laptop replacement, it has to have not just a usable keyboard but an excellent one. There are several excellent ones for the iPad and presumably Microsoft will just use an open Bluetooth spec for the keyboard interface (why wouldn't they) so that if their miracle keyboard cover works more like an Atari 400, other people can pick up the slack.

I would love to go all tablet... attach a keyboard and display to it when docked and take it with me when I travel (as I currently do with my laptop.) But of course it has to be usable.

Yet another interesting gizmo I have no use for. Frustrating.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   farmerdave4

farmerdave4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

If you can't get apps developers on board before its released it may be DOA when it does like when HP Palm tablet was released. It will have to be really cheap before many will even try it.

I got rid of my win phone over a year ago because very few apps. I don't see myself leaving android phone/tablets anytime soon.

#19 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

If you can't get apps developers on board before its released it may be DOA when it does like when HP Palm tablet was released. It will have to be really cheap before many will even try it.

I got rid of my win phone over a year ago because very few apps. I don't see myself leaving android phone/tablets anytime soon.

It runs Windows, so programs...not apps. ;) Like all of the Windows programs that exist today. I doubt it will be an issue.

#20 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Microsoft makes excellent keyboards, although from what I've seen from pictures of the Surface cover/keyboard this unit may not be in the same category. I've been using an MS wireless keyboard for over four years.

Pricing is the big question mark. How much and is the cover/keyboard extra?
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...