Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Microsoft Surface

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

It runs Windows, so programs...not apps. ;) Like all of the Windows programs that exist today. I doubt it will be an issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that only the "Pro" version will run legacy Windows programs, while both versions will run Metro apps? Of which, again correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it true there are about 15 of those in existence?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that only the "Pro" version will run legacy Windows programs, while both versions will run Metro apps? Of which, again correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it true there are about 15 of those in existence?

Yeah, I believe that is correct. Only the Pro version would have any interest to me, and only if it could be a laptop replacement for me (which was a desktop replacement itself).

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, I believe that is correct. Only the Pro version would have any interest to me, and only if it could be a laptop replacement for me (which was a desktop replacement itself).

Right, the other version runs on an ARM processor, so only programs compiled for it will work. The normal APIs don't work.

#24 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,439 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

During the press presentation, a second, extra cost, better keyboard and cover option was announced. I don't recall the details. There's quite a bit of information about the two models on the TWiT live special #129 from Tuesday.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#25 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

The Pro will be at a significant premium to the iPad and everyone will complain that it is too expensive even thought it will be s technologically superior device. Microsoft is targeting the commercial market because Apple continues to ignore it. Manageability, security things that matter to companies that have thousands of devices with data that matters to their business.

The surface is also Microsoft jumpstarting the Windows 8 tablet space. They want to show what can be done in hopes that Dell, HP and others will create products as well. I think this is the right direction for Microsoft and those that think a new tablet is late to the party are wrong. There is a massive untapped market that would love a device that could actually replace something else rather than just add yet another battery that needs recharging to the ever increasing stack.

I sat next to a high school grad travelling overseas on a summer mission trip. He was fumbling with an ipad, iphone and imac at different intervals throughout the trip. This marketing angle may be something apple can continue to heave onto a new generation but only for so long. At some point everyone will become tired of multiple devices that become obsolete on an never ending 8 month cycle.

#26 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I sat next to a high school grad travelling overseas on a summer mission trip. He was fumbling with an ipad, iphone and imac at different intervals throughout the trip. This marketing angle may be something apple can continue to heave onto a new generation but only for so long. At some point everyone will become tired of multiple devices that become obsolete on an never ending 8 month cycle.

My iPod Touch is far from obsolete after two years.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

You know, I've never had my iPad crash and I've never had a Windows machine that didn't.

But Microsoft didn't make the hardware. This could be interesting for an old guy who reluctantly gave up TRS-DOS for MS-DOS and has used a Microsoft OS ever since.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#28 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

My iPod Touch is far from obsolete after two years.

The fact that you are still using an ipod touch after two years and not an iphone or ipad or both is explanation enough.

#29 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

Well, it's not an Apple, so it has that going for it.....

Yeah but it's Microsoft. ~shudder~ :rolleyes:
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#30 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,439 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Another thought about the Surface Pro: at roughly a half inch thick and weighing close to two pounds, it's more likely to compete against Ultrabooks than the iPad.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#31 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

If the Surface Pro was available in the next month, I may be considering it... but the fall?

The hinge hardware on my laptop display is starting to fail, to the point where I can't flip the display down now without the case separating at the seams around the display. The laptop is 4 years 1 month old (and I upgraded it from XP to Win7 Ultimate) and I'm definitely overdue for an upgrade, but do I want another laptop?

I'm an Android guy and love my Ice Cream Sandwich tablet, but I still need a Windows machine primarily for Quicken and MS Office plus Visio and some other development software, so the Surface Pro with the add-n keyboard could be a really nice option. I just hope my current laptop display lasts until the fall ...

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

The RT based one is Fall. The one using Pro is after that by several months.

#33 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

I thought I read the Pro would be out before Christmas, so as long as it's out before 12/21 I guess that's still "fall"! :P

If it's not out until after Christmas, MS is just wasting my time with a half-year tease!

#34 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

The fact that you are still using an ipod touch after two years and not an iphone or ipad or both is explanation enough.

I never mentioned an iPad in my post, but I do have an iPad2. I do not own a smartphone at all. iPod fits in my pocket; iPad does not. Nuff said...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#35 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

You know, I've never had my iPad crash and I've never had a Windows machine that didn't.

But Microsoft didn't make the hardware. This could be interesting for an old guy who reluctantly gave up TRS-DOS for MS-DOS and has used a Microsoft OS ever since.

phrelin, Knock wood, However I can't recall the last time I had one of my windows machines crash.

My work Windows XP Pro computer did crash, I replaced the bad memory and it works reliable every day too.

The two Point of sale computers here run XP and they run 24 hours a day. The last time one of them went down was a hardware failure, I replaced the bad capacitors on the motherboard and it was back up and running an hour later. The other one never went down but I replaced the power supply since the fan was getting noisy.

I blame the the fact that they are reliable on shutting them down, except the point of sale computers and the servers (run 24 -7, no problems), each night, quality components and brands, blowing the dust out and only using Intel CPUs.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#36 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

If the Surface Pro was available in the next month, I may be considering it... but the fall?

The hinge hardware on my laptop display is starting to fail, to the point where I can't flip the display down now without the case separating at the seams around the display. The laptop is 4 years 1 month old (and I upgraded it from XP to Win7 Ultimate) and I'm definitely overdue for an upgrade, but do I want another laptop?

I'm an Android guy and love my Ice Cream Sandwich tablet, but I still need a Windows machine primarily for Quicken and MS Office plus Visio and some other development software, so the Surface Pro with the add-n keyboard could be a really nice option. I just hope my current laptop display lasts until the fall ...

Curious. Is it an HP laptop? I had an HP that did the exact same thing.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

phrelin, Knock wood, However I can't recall the last time I had one of my windows machines crash.

My work Windows XP Pro computer did crash, I replaced the bad memory and it works reliable every day too.

The two Point of sale computers here run XP and they run 24 hours a day. The last time one of them went down was a hardware failure, I replaced the bad capacitors on the motherboard and it was back up and running an hour later. The other one never went down but I replaced the power supply since the fan was getting noisy.

I blame the the fact that they are reliable on shutting them down, except the point of sale computers and the servers (run 24 -7, no problems), each night, quality components and brands, blowing the dust out and only using Intel CPUs.

I'm overstating it - these aren't total system crashes, just software "not responding" and occasionally crashing Windows Explorer. We do more ctrl-alt-del to run Windows Task Manager than we should. I'd like to blame the problems in our household on components. But it is the combinations of old versions of software, hardware settings, registry problems, etc., that we use.

And actually, after one OS upgrade my iPad Safari would just close on me.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#38 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Curious. Is it an HP laptop? I had an HP that did the exact same thing.

Yes. An HP Pavilion. I'm happy I had 4+ years out of it, but I was hoping to pass this on to someone else in the family and with the display panel/hinge area as weak as it is I might just scrap it.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Yes. An HP Pavilion. I'm happy I had 4+ years out of it, but I was hoping to pass this on to someone else in the family and with the display panel/hinge area as weak as it is I might just scrap it.

That actually sounds fixable. TBoneit should be able to give you an idea if it's fixable.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

IHMO, Microsoft is already making mistakes. First, if they have something to sell, then sell it. The presentation had no pricing information and no definitive release date. At least with Apple, they tell you how much it's going to cost and when it will be available. Microsoft really needs to get their ducks in a row when it comes to marketing.

On top of all that, the device crashed during the presentation.

N1zxDa3t0fg

The Surface looks pretty cool and I will definitely be looking at one, but as of right now, I'm very cautious.

spam firewall